Author Topic: 2009 MXU 375  (Read 1649 times)

HighwayPatrolMXU375

• View Profile
2009 MXU 375
« on: October 27, 2020, 04:28:53 PM »
Hi All.

New to the community.

Just purchased a 2009 MXU 375. It's my first ATV. I've been riding motorcycles for over 35 years. I ride a 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) and a 2017 Harley Davidson Road King.

So far, my new ride (the MXU 375) seems pretty solid. It was basically "turn-key" as soon as I brought it home. There are three items that I feel need to be addressed;

#1) The speedometer / odometer is readable on the dash display but it is not functioning. The speedometer reads "0", even while in motion and the mileage is "1,732" but it is not advancing. All other functions within the display are working properly. I have disconnected the wiring harness and cleaned the terminals but the speedo / odometer is still unresponsive. Like wise, I disconnected the wiring harness at the Speed Sensor located on the left side of the motor, next to the oil dipstick. Cleaned the terminals, reconnected the wires, but still no response from the speedo / odometer. I ordered a new OEM Speed Sensor hoping that will do the trick. Still awaiting the arrival of the new Speed Sensor. Any other thoughts??? Has anyone ever encountered this issue and what was the remedy?

#2) Upon getting the machine home and taking it out for a "real ride" the way it was intended to be used, I noticed that the suspension was very firm, almost dangerous, as it nearly ejected me as I traversed some off road paths. After my ride, I thoroughly inspected the suspension and discovered that the shock absorbers are frozen (rusted) solid. The coil springs (coil overs)  around the shocks were functional but the actual shaft is rusted solid inside the body of the shock. So, basically, the only "suspension travel" was the tires themselves. And if that wasn't bad enough, it turns out that the rear tires were WAY over inflated (13 psi) and the fronts had less than 2 psi. According to the owners manual, Kymco recommends 4 psi for both front and rear.
Obviously, I am going to be replacing all 4 shocks. Has anyone ever used and/or tried something from the aftermarket as opposed to the OEM shocks? I am basically looking to maintain the OEM handling characteristics of the machine, but I am always open to other thoughts / opinions?

#3) Starting issue. For the most part, the motor turns over easily and fires up on the first attempt without any issues about 80% of the time. However, occasionally, when I depress the starter button, the starter will engage and then it appears to get "stuck". If I keep the button depressed, it will eventually spin the flywheel and the motor will fire up. Or, I can release the start button and press it again and the starter will spin freely and start the engine. It doesn't happen often, there is no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it gets "stuck" when the engine is cold, and sometimes it happens when the engine is at normal operating temperature. It always starts, but it occasionally is a little fussy. Any thoughts? Is this a sign that my starter motor is starting to show its age? Could the ignition timing be "off" a little bit? The motor runs great, the idle is rock steady and the throttle response is very impressive. Also, I  checked all of my connections (battery wires, starter wires, all harnesses) and everything is good. The Cyclepedia Service Manual indicates that the ignition timing is not adjustable, so I am at a bit of a loss as to what might be causing this occasional issue. Like I said, it always starts, but sometimes it seems to get "stuck".

And finally, not really an issue or a problem, but I was wondering if anyone has ever mounted tires other than OEM size on the OEM rims. The OEM size is 24 x 8 - 12 and 24 x 10 - 12 (front / rear). There does not seem to be much room within the fender / footrest area to upgrade to a larger size tire without modifying the suspension. Again, I am looking to maintain the OEM handling characteristics and the OEM rims, but just wondering if anyone has experimented with slightly larger tires. What, if any, effect has this had on the machine?

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read my lengthy post. I look forward to being a part of the Kymco community, especially the MXU 375 group. I will keep you updated on my experiences with my machine. I will also try and post some pictures of my repairs, maintenance and mods / upgrades.

Oh yeah, one more thing...... Any advice on a winch? I definitely want to add a winch after I sort out the suspension issues.

Stay safe and ride hard.

JC
2009 Kymco MXU 375
2006 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
2002 BMW M3 convertible
1993 Corvette ZR-1 (#231 out of 448)
2002 Kawasaki 1200 STXR (jet ski)
1998 Sea Doo GTX Limited (jet ski)
9 Lawn Boy mowers (old school, 2 stroke models)
2000 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa (I have owned 3 of them)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 MXU 375
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:21:54 PM »
Oh, boyo boy! Well written request! I will be the first of many to chime in, WELCOME! This is the real nut farm of mostly scooter enthusiasts but with a strong however small group of off roaders with 4 wheelers and side-by-sides.

1. Sensor probably it but may be just too far away from the 'tone' ring. Should be pretty close like matchbook cover thickness .020 to .030"...
2. Many exact as well as super high tech shock replacements available. You may have to work from Honda or Polaris data to identify. I yield to the others on this for recommendations.
3. Normal compression will stop the starter like you describe usually guaranteed on the 500 cc and larger machines. Considering Kymco design not surprised on the 375. Just time your on-off-back on start switchology to use that back on momentum to get it over the hump. Kymco start systems sometimes kinda weak. All require top-notch batteries like Yuasa or Chrome.
4. I intend to replace the ATV tires on my UXV500i with 12" truck tires or go to 13 or 14" wheels and tires as soon as the Maxxis OEM tires wear out. Small car/truck tires WAY CHEAPER and QUIETER than these knobbies!
5. Winch so handy. Harbor Freight has a 2500# winch with wireless remote less than a hunnert bucks!
Post pictures when you get a chance!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 01:18:24 AM »
Sensor will probably get your speedometer running. Shocks is a tough one. New OEM probably not cheap. You could check ebay for used. Many Kymco models are sold under other names, not sure on the 375. For instance the little kids ATV have been made by Kymco for Kawasaki and Arctic Cat. The 450i is used in the Arctic Cat 500 and Bass Pro Tracker 500. They may make the whole rig! Just giving you something to research!! Tires, not too sure. Get a 1/2" small block and run around the tires and make sure you have plenty of clearance. I went from 24" to 25" radials on my 450i. Carlisle tires website gives you dimension and weight of all their ATV tires so that may help you out some.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

HighwayPatrolMXU375

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 12:58:38 PM »
Hey Bratman2.

Thank you for replying to my post.

So far, my research on the Kymco MXU 375 has led me to find out that it is basically a rebranded Arctic Cat 366 with different body panels and headlights. Most of the motor and suspension components seem to be shared between the two machines. When I was inspecting the drive train of the MXU 375, I noticed that the front differential is manufactured by ARCTIC CAT.

This is my first ATV, so I have nothing to compare it against, but based on my personal history of my love affair for practically anything with a combustion engine, this 2009 Kymco is a sturdy unit and it really runs well. I bought it about 3 weeks ago. It is a well used machine and it is not going to win any prizes at a "Show and Shine" event, but mechanically, I am very impressed with how well it operates. The motor is silky smooth, always starts on the first attempt, no funny noises from within the motor, the exhaust system is completely intact and functions properly and there are no issues with the transmission, the transfer case or the differentials. A really solid machine that just appears to need some suspension tweaking to bring it back to it's glory days. And let's face it...... It is an 11 year old Off Road ATV, it should have some bumps and bruises on it.

I am looking forward to working on this machine and hope to hear from more ATV enthusiasts, especially anyone who owns a MXU 375.

Stay safe and ride hard!!!
2009 Kymco MXU 375
2006 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
2002 BMW M3 convertible
1993 Corvette ZR-1 (#231 out of 448)
2002 Kawasaki 1200 STXR (jet ski)
1998 Sea Doo GTX Limited (jet ski)
9 Lawn Boy mowers (old school, 2 stroke models)
2000 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa (I have owned 3 of them)

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 01:53:07 AM »
You see the 2004 Kymco 90 in my lists? We are the third owners. Each previous owner had two children. The oldest would out grow it and it would be handed down to the youngest then sold. My oldest grandson has out grown it now. So it is used by my younger grandchildren now. This thing has run for hours on end when they come over! Yes, they are pretty solid machines. That is why my next ATV was a Kymco for myself.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()