Author Topic: HELP!!! Mods/Derestrictions = worse performance on 2011 Super 8 50cc 2T  (Read 35463 times)

rellek

• View Profile
Hey All,  I am brand new to the forum as I just purchased my first scooter this week which is the 2011 Super 8 50cc 2T.  I love the thing but I want more power of the line, and would like to have more top end speed as well.  I live at about 5000 feet above sea level so the dealer already replaced the main jet to a #82, as well as took the shoulder unit out of the CVT.  The dealer said there was not a rev limiter on the CDI.  Not sure how to check to see if this is true (thoughts?).  I am 195 lbs and top speed on the flats is about 38 mph.  So, here are my big questions if you guys can help  me out:
1. What other de-restrictions should I do?
2. After that, what modifications would be the most beneificial? What order should I do the modifications?  Please keep in mind that I do not want to lose any off the line take off speed for a couple of miles on the top end.  I'd like to keep a good balance between the two.
3. On the topic of modifications, I looked into putting a performance changing the air intake and increasing the main jet, but the dealer (service mechanic) said that if I change the air intake on the Super 8 2T, it will end up hurting me because the air intake box is a specific design that helps the Super 8 rather than hurting it.  I'd like some imput here from some of you who have made this modification.  

Thank you so much for any help you guys can offer; I truly appreciate it!!!  ;D

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:59:18 AM by rellek »

s37en

• View Profile
Re: HELP!!! Advice/Suggestions on Modifying/De-Restricting 2011 Super 8 50cc 2T
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
I also have the 2011 super 8 2t, What i have found is no one really has experience with this new of a bike. Although, I havent done them myself. I hear that a racing variator, and new rollers goes a long way. The stock exhaust we have...from what i hear is suppose to be restricted by a welded on bolt or washer at the begining of the exhaust pipe.  a flat boss. with out the shoulder, and and up jet will get you to 32mph flat-40 mph down hill. that is what mine currently does WITH OUT any other restrictions being modified.
I know this wasnt much of a helpful post. But there is another person here looking for answers with you... ME.. haha. anything you find or i find i will post.

THanks,

s37en

rellek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »
Thanks for your input...any information at this point is valuable.  If anyone else could help us out with this, we would love to hear from you!!! Thanks in advance  ;D

tmadtown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
I have confirmed with Kymco directly via email that 2011 Super 8 50cc 2T do not have a rev limiter in CDI box.

s37en

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:20:56 PM »
nice!!1 thank you. one off the check list. is there even a rev limiter? do then do it with the variator? i can not for the life of me seem to get it above 37mph even tho the engine wants to keep going it seems like.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:35:41 PM »
You might want to find someone else with a Super 8 that is willing to swap bikes for a short ride.  Another stock bike will let you know if yours is normal, and a modified will let you know what to expect for those changes...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

rellek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 01:38:21 AM »
So Here's the latest with my modifications, but I still need some feedback from you guys.

1. I pulled the small restrictor out of the inside of the airbox.  Basically it was a small tube just inside the plastic intake box where the filter sits. 
2.  Next, I removed the small nut/bolt combo that is on the exhaust just before the muffler.  It sounds better, and with the air intake mod, it hit 40mph.  Needless to say, I was very happy!  I will tell you, if you just do the air intake mod by itself, it acts very sluggish but eventually gets up to speed.  So, if you are going to do it, do both and it runs great!

3.  Today I took it to the dealer and they did two things:  A.  they increased the main jet to a 90.  B.Then they had an idea:  To drill a hole in the muffler on the bottom so you couldn't see it.  The idea was that it would de-restrict the exhaust and provide better performance.  It did gain 4mph, but let me tell you right now...the sound was unbearable!  It was so loud and I couldn't stand it. So I immediately turned around, and they welded it back. But, they also put a removable plug that screws out easily where the hole was in the center of the welding job.  I thought this was cool, because if I want to go faster on the top end, 44 or so (if I'm going a long way on a faster road), I can simply remove it and then put it back in when I'm done.  And it's not nearly as loud because the hole is much smaller than the orginal one they drilled. 

So here is my current problem:  Basically, after all of that at the dealer, the only thing that was changed was replacing the main jet from an 82 to a 90.  The ride home was not impressive.  It was much less responsive on the low end, and did not go near the 40 mph that I was getting before I took it into the dealer this morning.  Needless to say, I am not happy and I am trying to figure out how I can fix it. 

Should I just go back to the 82 main jet and call it a day?  I feel like a bigger main jet should have increased performance since I am getting more air in from the air filter tube that I removed, and have more exhaust going out because of the nut/bolt I removed from the exhaust before I took it to the dealer.  I'm at a loss and would love any reccomendations/advice from you guys.

Thanks!!!

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: HELP!!! Mods/Derestrictions = worse performance on 2011 Super 8 50cc 2T
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 06:07:03 AM »
For me I could have 2 identical bikes run better with different jetting - so trial and error is the key.  Buy a few jets between 82 and 90 and try them.  Do an 88 and if it's better try an 86.  Find the one you like best and run with it.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

warriorboxerdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »
I own the 2011 kymco super 8 2t. I weight the same as you and here is what I have done and the order I did them in and it worked very well for me.
1) Replaced the variator with the molossi kit (I used everything in the kit and it gave me more bottom end and top speed)

2) Replaced the carb with a arreche 19mm carb and 65 main jet (again in creased the power throgh out)

3) Replaced the exhaust with the technigas next r pipe (I noticed the most from this mod but it was because it made all the other mods better

4) Up jetted to a 70 and removed the snorkel from the airbox and opened the hole a little.  There is a square hole in the bottom of the airbox, if you look inside its round I took a dremal and removed the plastic so it was square.

5) Replaced the 9 gram round molossi weights with 9 gram Dr pulley sliders. (I lost some top end from this as I found out later a should have went a gram or  2 heavier then the round weights. I got 10 gram ones on the way

6) Up jeted to a 75 and installed a open air filter. I bought the air filter from a local shop and it more open then thestock box but its a pos. Stay away from doppler air filters. It runs a little on the rich side but just need a new air filter I also adjusted the needle jet on the carb by moving it to the last notch. This raises the needle higher giving more gas in the mid range and it helped

7) Installed new mollossi clutch spring. I got the pack with 3 diiferent kinds. I wanted to iinstall the white ones to match my torque spring that came with the variator. But while trying to install them one got away and shot off after losing my grip with needle nose plyers so I installed the ones that where a little stiffer cant remember the color

With all this done I top out at around 45mph (should top out at 50 with the 10 gram dr pulley sliders) I can go up hills at 40 mph. All this performance up grades has stressed the reeds to the point the need replaced so I ordered carbon fiber ones today. I also need to up grade to a carbon fiber belt and that should help to due to the fact there wider, plus my stock belt is getting eaten alive because it wasn't designed to do what its doing. And Im going to get a good open airfilter I should be able to hit 55mph on a long straight flatwhen Im done.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:33:48 AM »
Well then. That answers that! I believe Warrior meant a Kevlar belt.  C.F. reeds come in different thicknesses. The most common for 50-70cc engines is .030". Stiffer will give better top end, and thinner will give better low end. As a rule of thumb the pre cut reeds are lessor quality than the sheet stock. Can't figure that one but you can usually see air bubbles in the pre cut reeds. I use Boysen.
http://boyesen.com/product-segments/street-home.html
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

rellek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »
Wow, I really appreciate this newly added information!!!  It's spring here in Colorado so I just pulled "Big Red" out of the garage this past weekend and instantly decided to follow through with mods.  I was just about to order a 70cc kit, but now you have me second guessing myself since the mods you have described would seem to generate my intended results.  Any thoughts on if these mods you have described would work well with a 70cc kit as well, or do you think it would be too much?  Thanks so much!!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:17:15 AM »
For me I could have 2 identical bikes run better with different jetting - so trial and error is the key.  Buy a few jets between 82 and 90 and try them.  Do an 88 and if it's better try an 86.  Find the one you like best and run with it.

That is exactly what you have to do. go smaller in the smallest steps possible until it runs best. Keep it closer to the rich side of the scale tho.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
I also have the 2011 super 8 2t, What i have found is no one really has experience with this new of a bike. Although, I havent done them myself. I hear that a racing variator, and new rollers goes a long way. The stock exhaust we have...from what i hear is suppose to be restricted by a welded on bolt or washer at the begining of the exhaust pipe.  a flat boss. with out the shoulder, and and up jet will get you to 32mph flat-40 mph down hill. that is what mine currently does WITH OUT any other restrictions being modified.
I know this wasnt much of a helpful post. But there is another person here looking for answers with you... ME.. haha. anything you find or i find i will post.

THanks,

s37en

As you can see, my US spec Super 8 2t has no washer welded into the exhaust. I also do not have the extra wires on the CDI. I'm hoping to get a few MPH out of her... guess I've got to start buying some parts...
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:18:25 PM »
You can get a Prodigy Var on ebay with a control spring for the rear from autotech or a Malossi kit for about a hundred from spi. It is the biggest bang for the buck. If you want more out of it you need to up cc's.
Have you gotten the jetting fixed?

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:43:23 AM »
I'm using whatever the larger jet is that comes with the factory derestriction kit.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()