Author Topic: 2018 Kymco X400i Mirror Mod  (Read 1256 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
2018 Kymco X400i Mirror Mod
« on: June 09, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »
I've completed my third mod!

As previously documented, I added a windscreen and foam handle grips.

An issue with the windscreen is that the mirror stalks hit it, and it created to my mind what was a fairly unsafe condition, in that I lost about 15 degrees turn ability. So a fix was a necessary thing.

Here are some photos. Regrettably, I was so hyped to get these things installed, that I didn't take any photos before or during. So all I have are the end results. In my defense, I think we all know how to take a mirror off.  :-\
This was a very easy install, only taking about 15 minutes total. The '18 Kymco X400i has 10mm, standard-thread mirror mounts, and knowing that ahead of time will save someone grief.

Here are the risers I bought from eBay. They were only about $12 USD, free shipping.

This is the right-side mount:

Close up of the right-side mount, from the front:

Here's the left side mount, with an additional piece of equipment added in:

This last piece is what I affectionately call my Stig Mount. It enables the addition of that all-important, can't-ride-without, more-than-necessary piece of riding gear called a Cup Holder.  ::)

Here is an image of the Stig Mount doing it's job:

So, as you can see, this was an easy, fairly inexpensive, and fully-functioning mod to the bike. For an additional confidence factor, I used Blue Loctite on all threads.

And there we have it!
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Kymco X400i Mirror Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 01:55:50 AM »
Can you roll your scoot outside and show your mirror extenders at work. Kinda hard to make out what it looks like now. Are those wires to the mirrors. ...
your scoot has turnsignals in the mirrors?

Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 02:34:06 AM »
Can you roll your scoot outside and show your mirror extenders at work? Kinda hard to make out what it looks like now.

Are those wires to the mirrors? Your scoot has turnsignals in the mirrors?

Thanks, Stig

Why, yes, yes I can. Although if I went out and did it right now, it would be too dark for anyone to see anything. So, I'll have to wait until tomorrow...  ::)
Those are indeed wires leading to the turn signals in the mirrors. One of the features I was going to eventually add to the Honda PCX I used to own, but then I bought the X400i. And I've had a fairly long discussion on an electronics/lighting/automotive forum, and the idea I have to insert LEDs into the existing empty housings will work, as the wiring and relays were designed for it in the first place.

A stock photo-thumbnail for you, Stig. This is not Diana, but as you can see, the turn signals are indeed in the mirrors.

And the next one is to make the ones in the fairing/bodywork to work. Also to add my aux tail/brake lights and blink modulator, as well as the eagle-eye running lights in the place of the retroreflectors and the LED DRLs on the nose fairing. Those mods are going to entail a fair amount of removing bodywork, so I am going to wait until we're on the semester break, or for the 4th of July weekend, since we'll be off. But I can assure you, I'll be posting a Mod Post when I do!

1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 03:21:53 AM »
You're doing away with the front LED DRL's?
The LED DRL's on my Piaggio are a distinctive design feature and very effective safety feature.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »
You're doing away with the front LED DRL's?
The LED DRL's on my Piaggio are a distinctive design feature and very effective safety feature.
Stig

No, I'm not doing away with any existing lighting at all.

And to be honest,I don't think the existing nine little LEDs on either side below the headlights aren't all that visible on Diana. They look cool, but only when you're standing next to her. I've seen the reflection in windows and they just aren't all that bright.

I have some 7500 lumen COB flat LED strips that I'm going to put on the fairing above the headlights, on either side of the bottom of the windscreen to augment what I already have. I had them on the PCX, and they made a world of difference.

They look like this up close:

These puppies are bright and can be seen almost before the headlights even.They're going to be an addition, not a replacement. I would never remove any safety feature. The idea is to augment, not decrease.
Let me get myself going, and I'll upload those pics for you. Any particular views you'd like to see?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:35:17 PM by EvilTessmacher »

---
1982 Honda PA-50

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:01:40 PM »
I have to ask, but why didn't you leave the rubber boots in the original position to block the mounting holes.  They look weird in their new spot.  Not trying to offend you but just curious. :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:03:21 PM by PaulF »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 12:26:47 AM »
I have to ask, but why didn't you leave the rubber boots in the original position to block the mounting holes.  They look weird in their new spot.  Not trying to offend you but just curious. :)
Paul, I've never been able to live with the looks and compromises of these generic risers....but for many they are a popular way to solve mirror issues. You've noted one of the problems with using them.
I had to use them one time on my HONDA Forza...until I discovered a stock-looking improvement from a HONDA CB500X!

Not certain I've ever seen them employed to solve a screen issue.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 04:03:06 AM »
Not offended at all... I was rather frustrated that the stock boots just don't cover the new added length. I'm thinking about just taking them all the way off, and using a bit of shrink tube. If you'll look a bit closer, the upper boots don't really fit now either, so I might cut them down and use shrink tubing on the stem all the way down from just below the mirror to the new risers. I'll have to look at it to see what I can get away with.

Thanks for asking, you've made me think more on how I want to solve this issue.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 04:04:57 AM »
Paul, I've never been able to live with the looks and compromises of these generic risers....but for many they are a popular way to solve mirror issues. You've noted one of the problems with using them.
I had to use them one time on my HONDA Forza...until I discovered a stock-looking improvement from a HONDA CB500X!

Not certain I've ever seen them employed to solve a screen issue.

Stig

You're absolutely correct, Stig. I don't really like that they look like an add-on. I'd rather they looked more organic-fit and OEM. But since nobody makes a mirror long enough, (and believe me, I've looked) I have to do what I have to do. I'm hoping I can come up with a creative solution to the boots not fitting issue.

And I apologize, but I never made it out today to take that extra set of photos for you. But I will tomorrow, I promise.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
If you know your thread size and "hand", and I think you do - try taking a stroll through a large dealer, looking especially at the adventure or naked bikes for a slightly longer mirror stem. Not sure why off-road riders want to be more aware of things behind, than do street riders?
Bears aren't that fast, are they?
Too nice a scoot to be wearing white sox...or blue risers.
You'll find a solution.☺
Stig
(we won't mention the cup holder problem)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:57:57 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »
If you know your thread size and "hand", and I think you do - try taking a stroll through a large dealer, looking especially at the adventure or naked bikes for a slightly longer mirror stem. Not sure why off-road riders want to be more aware of things behind, than do street riders?
Bears aren't that fast, are they?
Too nice a scoot to be wearing white sox...or blue risers.
You'll find a solution.☺
Stig
(we won't mention the cup holder problem)

Problem is, there are no "large dealers" anywhere near me. The closest thing is a Harley dealership, but when I went there (I had the PCX then) they saw me get off it, and not one person inside moved to come ask me if I needed any help. I kept looking at them, and they'd look and then quickly look away, and I finally left. I was getting ready to pull out of the lot when I looked back, and two or three of them were laughing openly. They can kiss my rosy red ass, and then I might consider riding by the place with a particular finger extended. Worst bunch of jerkwaters I've ever seen.

If I get a longer mirror stem, I'll lose my turn signals in the front. I haven't yet found a single overseas parts place that will even reply to me about locating the ones that actually work.

Hence, my idea about buying a set of empty ones, and installing LEDs myself. I am working on that one.

And, for the record, the cup holder isn't a problem anymore. I found a way to mount it, with a neat little piece of kit. Maybe you've seen it? It's called a Stig Mount.  Ho ho hee hee ha ha!

Pics coming after lunch.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 04:50:30 PM »
Kripes, yeah I forgot about the signals in your mirrors!.
Ah, well we all do the best we can

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 05:59:14 AM »
Rained like the dickens today... No riding, so no photos. Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 12:12:27 AM »
Okay, Stig... I remembered to take a photo for you today.

Let me orient you to where I am standing, so you can get an idea of what the actual perspective is. I am straddling with my knees, the rear tire, and I am as close up to the license plate as I can get.

I took as straight-on a photo as I could, to show you what can be seen directly behind the bike.

Hope this helps.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 04:42:45 AM »
I have some 7500 lumen COB flat LED strips that I'm going to put on the fairing above the headlights, on either side of the bottom of the windscreen to augment what I already have. I had them on the PCX, and they made a world of difference.

They look like this up close:

Sure about that figure? 7,500 lumens is what this 4 foot fixture puts out. http://www.rockler.com/7500-lumen-linkable-4-led-shop-light
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()