Author Topic: Gas seepage into sump?  (Read 780 times)

PDXGT

• View Profile
Gas seepage into sump?
« on: June 15, 2015, 11:34:15 PM »
Getting ready to bring the GT out of winter hibernation today and went to check the oil level. It seems that the engine is over full and the oil smells gassy. It's at the edge of the fill hole and well over the line on the dipstick. If I were checking a manual transmission fluid it would be at the perfect level. Being fuel injected is it possible that over the winter fuel has seeped into the sump? I know from my experience with carbed aircooled VWs if the carb has has a leaky float or jets this can happen but on fuel injection I haven't heard of that issue. I don't remember how much fuel I had left in the tank last fall but it wasn't full today and I added maybe 1/8 gallon to the tank. Usually I fill my tanks for winter storage but don't remember from fall. Suggestions?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Gas seepage into sump?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:19:44 AM »
It's most likely due to a back up in the evaporate control system. I'd pull the hoses, and canister to verify they are clear. It's most likely due to expansion from a full tank, and collected / condensed vapors.

Then just change the oil out twice in one hundred miles. If you are not using synthetic, this would be a good time to switch after the hundred miles.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

PDXGT

• View Profile
Re: Gas seepage into sump?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »
Thanks Zombie. Sorry for the late reply, just getting around to this again. So the evaporate canister, is it located up under the seat pan? I can see the hose and it does have about two inches of fluid in it. Going to find some oil today and try and get the GT back on the road and take advantage of this amazing summer weather we're having here.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()