Author Topic: Is THIS a new sheriff in town?  (Read 1115 times)

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Is THIS a new sheriff in town?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »
@Forbes1964,
from technical point of view developement of fully electric vehicles is not that huge scientic step forward. It's been invented about 150 years ago.
I for my person see the danger more in us being manipulated by ruling goverments, whichever political color they might be. I have seen this in several countries where we worked and lived for an international organization.
Overnight fuel stations were manned with military- or governtment or chunta-affin para/troops.
If we would not have had a couple hundred liters of diesel to our avail, we would have been stuck in the middle of a, let's say, civil war.
With a change to all/most electric vehicles its even easier for any goverment to restrict your movement. Just cause a blackout, and you are bound to your turf as long your ruler wants.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 12:02:33 PM »
@Forbes1964,
from technical point of view developement of fully electric vehicles is not that huge scientic step forward. It's been invented about 150 years ago.
I for my person see the danger more in us being manipulated by ruling goverments, whichever political color they might be. I have seen this in several countries where we worked and lived for an international organization.
Overnight fuel stations were manned with military- or governtment or chunta-affin para/troops.
If we would not have had a couple hundred liters of diesel to our avail, we would have been stuck in the middle of a, let's say, civil war.
With a change to all/most electric vehicles its even easier for any goverment to restrict your movement. Just cause a blackout, and you are bound to your turf as long your ruler wants.
Without getting political, I’ll say this. Although electric cars were invented many years ago and were a competitor to petroleum fueled vehicles, there was one major difference. The petroleum vehicles were constantly improved over the years. But electric vehicles were not improved because there was no need or desire to do so. Even the GM ev1 and the Ford electric Ranger truck were VERY primitive. Electric vehicles didn’t really start catching up until recently. And they’ve improved exponentially. Personally, I’d prefer a plug in hybrid because it contains the best of both worlds. But with the improvements in technology recently, electric vehicles are a viable alternative for some. Again, I’m not addressing the political because I’m not informed enough

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 01:39:47 PM »
MrForbes -
Thanks for your reply.
I agree....I was more than happy to make frequent stops (to go off and shout into the roadside shrubbery ) on my last lengthy road trip with, and titled - "8 Legs and Three Females"

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 07:41:22 PM »
Fastest I’ve seen quoted is 30 minutes from 0% to about 70% charged?

As I stated elsewhere, while thats a lot slower than filling a gas tank, a 30 minute stop isn’t excessive for some people on a long trip if the frequency is once every 250 miles or so. Bathroom break, grab a snack, walk and stretch after 3 hours behind the wheel.  Before you know it 30 minutes will have passed. Of course it’s unacceptable for when I was younger and simply wanted to tick off the miles as quickly as possible while testing the endurance of my alertness and bladder. [emoji23]

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
MrForbes -
I'm assuming that you can't do highway trips with a battery car?
Or, do these things re-charge at a charging station in a very few minutes?
Stig
Another side note: last summer I purchased a USED push mower to deal with the areas in my yard unsuitable for the Bush hog. It was one of the smallest available. And it doesn’t not have the fast charging capability. But it cuts well even in relatively thick grass. It’s run time is only about an hour. Less in high grass. But I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Noise is much lower. Less vibration, I don’t have to pull a rope to start. And is significantly lighter. If I bought an extra battery and the fast charger, I could mow uninterrupted.

2009 Xciting 250

gctkaz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 04:06:21 AM »
Another side note: last summer I purchased a USED push mower to deal with the areas in my yard unsuitable for the Bush hog. It was one of the smallest available. And it doesn’t not have the fast charging capability. But it cuts well even in relatively thick grass. It’s run time is only about an hour. Less in high grass. But I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Noise is much lower. Less vibration, I don’t have to pull a rope to start. And is significantly lighter. If I bought an extra battery and the fast charger, I could mow uninterrupted.
A push mower, you mean like one of these?

So I guess the extra battery and fast charger look like this?

And since getting married, I don't think I've been able to get anything done uninterrupted...

Joking aside, I'm excited for any new battery technologies and I hope they get developed into something usable at a widespread consumer level. Lithium is working great for everything I have tried so far, but the mining of the lithium and cobalt are pretty nasty and I don't think that is too well-known to the general public.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 07:52:53 AM »
Thanks gctkaz, when push mower was mentioned, that’s exactly what I pictured.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
Thanks gctkaz, when push mower was mentioned, that’s exactly what I pictured.

I wasn’t thinking about the old push mowers . I’m not QUITE that old. (I’m sticking to that story) . I guess I should have stated non self propelled.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 03:51:30 PM »
I wasn’t thinking about the old push mowers . I’m not QUITE that old. (I’m sticking to that story) . I guess I should have stated non self propelled.

The day I retired ---- first thing I did was stop at Sears and treat myself to a self-propelled mower!
(No, wait - the first thing I did after walking out the door involved fist-pumps in the air and dancing in a circle all the way to my Chevy F-150! Peeled out of the parking lot and blew the horn until I could no longer see that place in my rear view mirrors!)

sorry - what was the question again....
Stig
Chevy trucks have  g r e a t  horns.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:54:52 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 06:46:32 PM »
The day I retired, I'd already been at home for 2 months on "gardening leave" while they argued about the exact last day of service for me as it involved a redundancy pay-off too. All worked in my favour I'm delighted to say [emoji4]

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 07:34:32 PM »
Man, I am jealous of all you retired guys. I'm 47, so I figure another 18-20 years in the salt mines for me...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 09:42:43 PM »
Man, I am jealous of all you retired guys. I'm 47, so I figure another 18-20 years in the salt mines for me...
By which time some of us will be pushing up daisies, so don’t be too jealous! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »
By which time some of us will be pushing up daisies, so don’t be too jealous! [emoji23]

The way our world seems to be headed, perhaps you will be better off getting out while the getting is good!

Also, I see you are in the U.K. Back in college I spent a semester studying abroad at Cheltenham and Gloucester College in Cheltenham. Lovely little town. Great little student union pub on campus. Learned to enjoy hard cider, a good game of darts and several young English women. But that's a different story for a different day.

Anyhow, the exchange program I was part of us took care of our living arrangements and assigned us to housing upon arrival. Most of the American students were placed in the dormitory right on campus, but myself and another guy were placed in a bedroom in the home of one of the college professors. He lived about 5 miles from campus, and we were each given bicycles to ride back and forth. Needless to say, I got in really good shape that semester, and I can't tell you how many late-night bike rides I made from the pub after having too many pints to safely drive a scooter! Then again, the scoot sure would have come in handy.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 07:13:00 AM »
Cheltenham eh? Famous for its Ladies College. Or was that the story for another day?....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()