General > Roadcraft

Trail braking.

(1/7) > >>

klaviator:
I'm just curious.  Who understands what trail braking is and who here uses it?

rjs987:
I know what it is but don't do it. I figure it is a band aid approach to coming into a sharp turn too fast. I learned long ago how to go into a turn at the right speed to avoid using any brake unless some obstacle was around the curve that wasn't expected. I prefer to use engine drag if possible. If I use any braking I try to get my bike as upright as possible and still stay safe.

I do know many ST1300 and BMW riders who do trail braking. And it is regularly done in motorcycle racing to get around curves faster. But those riders are REALLY skilled in braking technique.

Stig / Major Tom:
My simple understanding is that it is cornering combined with braking at the same time.
Braking is decreased...then gone completely when nearing the apex, after which power is applied.
What bike was it that I first saw the electronics prevent the bike from trying to "right" itself  (stand up vertical) while braking in s corner......and leading to a runoff. KTM I think it was?

I have one tight steeply downhill turn which I approach cautiously in my frequent rainy dark rides after big winds.
Do my braking before I encounter the possible road debris ahead....never in the corner 🫣
Stig

Alan F.:
My understanding was that trail braking is used to shift weight to the front suspension by braking as necessary before a turn, reducing the need to brake during the turn, but also the effect of the weight shift basically changes your suspension geometry by lowering front ride height by compressing your forks (just a little does it) decreasing the front suspension's amount of trail, which gives better handling and more front wheel grip through the turn.

Trail is the horizontal distance from where the front wheel touches the ground to where the steering axis intersects the ground.

Other ways of reducing trail are by using a larger diameter rear tire or a smaller diameter front tire, or by slipping fork tubes up a tiny bit in the triple clamp.

Lots of sport bikes in the 80s had a 16" front wheel and an 18" rear to reduce trail.

I cut throttle back at the last minute before a turn to accomplish this weight shift to the front end, usually this is enough to effectively reduce trail at low speeds. It's even enough on my motorcycles, I guess I don't ride that hard even if I'm pushing the speed limits, this is more of an open road or track technique that doesn't play well in traffic.

Stig / Major Tom:

Stig

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version