Author Topic: 12 Wire CDI Box  (Read 1677 times)

Fm Studio

• View Profile
12 Wire CDI Box
« on: April 01, 2021, 05:17:52 AM »
And This Is My CDI Box...That Cost Me 270 Dollars From the UK! I'm Real Close But I Need Help! I've Got 2 Kill Switches On The Bike And I Know The Kickstand One Is Working properly but the Kill Switch On My Right Throttle is Not Connected and I Think That's Preventing The Bike To Start So Should I NOT Connect The Kill Switch? I Mean ...I Need Help I've got all the tools and can follow directions very good! The only scooter shop here in Denver said I Should just Trash the Bike and that it's no good. But It's all I have and I KNOW it can be repaired, The Engine Runs GREAT! Please ANYONE! email or call me! fmstudio1311@gmail.com 303-229-9631.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Wire CDI Box
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »
First thing the moderator will say to you is you have made two posts that deal with the same thing. I would recommend removing one post.

Your Denver shop is probably right considering the damage done but repair is possible if you are determined.

Both the sidestand and run/stop switches must connect for the engine to fire. The starter will work but the ECU is cut out so no spark. You will have to either repair or bypass each one.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Fm Studio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 06:31:08 PM »
Thank You For Your Response. I've had it started once. The Way I wil bypass both kill switches is to simply not connect the kill switch wire (Black with white stripe) This allowed the bike to start last time. Then 2 weeks of snow hit and my temporary wiring came undone and I can't remember the connections. Although most are still in place. I just need help with the CDI Box and I'm almost there. I know how to check for spark and check components with multi meter.If I leave kill switch wire disconnected where do I connect the black and yellow wire. I think that's the only help I need ...for now.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 07:56:58 PM »
Try getting a wiring diagram from a google search or the manuals library app (manualslib).
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 09:28:06 PM »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Fm Studio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 02:10:06 PM »
Ok. I've Got The CDI Unit Connected Thanx To This Pic! See Attached. Now, I've Got 2 Wires Not Connected. The Black And White and The Solid Green (Ground.) Am I Correct In Thinking That If I Do Not Connect The Black And White Wire (Kill Switch) That The Bike Will Still Start If One Of My Two Switches Are Not Connected? If Not, I Will Connect It. Next. I Have The Entire Wire Harness Taken OFF The Bike And Unwrapped. I'm Going To Start From The Battery and Wire The Bike Today To Get It Running ONLY. I'm Not Concerned With Lights. I Need Help With Wiring Diagram. My 1st Two Questions Are What Color Wires, (coming From The Harness) Connect To Radiator Fan? Blue And Brown? Also, Which Wires Do I Connect The Thermostatic Switch To? So,Here's My 1st Move...I'm Going To Run A Positive and Negative Line From The Battery. My 1st Wire is a short run from the positive terminal to the starter solenoid With a 20 Amp Fuse In The Line. Next Run Will Be From The Starter Solenoid the The Key Switch. Red Wire. After I Am Done With This I Will return To Document My Next Move. Thank You and Feel Free To Jump In Whenever You Like with Advise. See You In A Bit.

Fm Studio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 02:21:52 PM »
Since I'm Using My Existing Harness I See I've Got To Carefully Separate Runs. So, This May Take Longer Than Expected But I'm In No Hurry. I'll check back When Completed with Pictures.

Fm Studio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 02:33:56 PM »
Aaand change in plans. So, I've Checked some wires for Continuity, but not all, I'm going to lay the wire harness in place and exposed in case I need To Follow a Wire. I will lay it out on the Bike the same way it was run. And Begin My Wiring Adventure!

Fm Studio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 10:01:04 PM »
Aaaand Nothing. No Progress. No Comments. No Help. Same Ol Story. In Fact, I made It Worse. I'm not getting anything when I Turn the key. I've been trying for over a year and no help. There are no mechanics in this town...Unless you have a car. There is ONE Scooter shop here. They charge a Hundred dollars an hour and told me to Junk my bike. Oh, You know Cyclepedia? I called them. Yhe guy on the phone said their on-line mechanics know Kymco very well. So, I paid the 20 bucks. Ihad to leave an e-mail so, I left my usual desperate message. Next day a mechanic calls. I Screamed Pease! My Wiring Is Been decapitated! My Bike ws stoen Pease Help! What Wire should I connect to first? He said...I dunno. Did you look at the Manual? I said, that's why I paid your company! I Can't read a wiring diagram! Please Look And Tell Me! He Said, "Over The Phone?" That's gonna be impossible! I Said...OMG! This is your Business. And I haven't heard back from them. So, ^ hours today fer nothin. Wel, If ANYONE REALLY knows about Kymco Scooters and you'd like to ACTUALLY help me. Please Lemme know. fmstudio1311@gmail.com I'm Off Blindly navigating Yet Again! Have Fun Or whatever you do here.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »
FM - please don't take this as no one here wants to help you...but the reality is that you have a bike that was stolen and is  trashed and torn apart. Your wiring harness has been completely removed. You are saying you have little mechanical ability or knowledge and I don't believe you even had a shop manual. You're asking Help!..what wire do i attach?

The real answer is probably what the Cyclepedia guy told you...how the h*ll do I know?

So it's not that no one wants to help, but likely no one knows where the h*ll to begin! You've spent a year working on that thing and that is what it looks like? For $1000 you can replace with a used scooter all day long. The shop was probably right.

We don't have a magic crystal ball to tell you exactly what you need to do...sorry.

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 10:09:19 AM »
@FM,
there are certain cases where an item is simply a write off. I'm not a sissy to try something which is considered by others as not feasable, but....
What I would do:
-IF I really and by all means for whatever reasons wanted to revive this scoot, I would download a wiring diagram for my scoot, print it out, mark lines according to colors and follow exactely this diagram
-or, buy an identical scoot, similar MY, maybe wrecked, motor blocked, etc., pair them up and rebuilt one of those two. So you would have fun with tinkering and a satisfying result without too many expenses.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Fm Studio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 08:20:09 AM »
Ok, I'm Back. I have Nowhere else to turn but I've got GREAT News and Small bad news. 1st...I GOT Her RUNNING! And She Runs GREAT! I'll Post Pics In The Morning! There was an ad that a NEW Motorcycle Mechanic Is Starting Up. I called him and he was reluctant at 1st saying he don't like scooters! I told him it was a 250cc so he said he'd look at it. $50 show up & diagnosis, we both quickly looked over the wire diagram, that I have been working on for a year, and we found one little wire. Inside a connector, but not connected...Hiding. It was the wire to the pulse generator. We connected that and in 5 mins...VAROOM!I've taped up the wire harness and she's looking GREAT!

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 09:20:19 AM »
@Fm Studio, this is great news.
Congrats to you new (nearly) ride.
I knew it would be on the road again.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Fm Studio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 03:53:05 PM »
Aaand HERE SHE IS! Like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! She Works Great! Except for the Fan. So, I'm taking her to the shop today to fix fan! Isn't She Lovely!

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 03:12:30 AM »
One take-away from this is that there's no point in messing with the CDI units on most scooters.  They're designed to do one job, on that scooter only, and you mess with them at your own risk.  If it doesn't work buy another one exactly the same. They're ridiculously cheap.  Don't mess with it! It's not worth the headaches.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()