Author Topic: Got clutch chatter?  (Read 1684 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Got clutch chatter?
« on: July 08, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »
It has been so long since I was troubled by a chattering clutch on my 2012 LIKE200i that I can't remember.
Am I alone....or are you other Like riders experiencing the same smooth performance from your CVT's ?
Makes it a pleasure to ride.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: Got clutch chatter?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »
A few months back I replaced the rollers (OEM) and belt (Malossi) and within 100 miles chatter set in. I was not happy, but after a few hundred miles of long rides the chatter went away and now it's smooth as silk. I do find when I near the 6,000 mile use on a belt that the chatter becomes more frequesnt. I take it as a sign the belt needs replacing and do so.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:51:04 PM »
My experiences and feeling to that issue is that it also depends on the outside temperature and the clutch/variator/gear temperture. Sometimes its better, sometimes worse and sometimes pretty smooth like almost gone. I don´t care much anymore as long as it works and gets me to the places where I want to be. If I needed a replacement one day because of worn clutch/facings, I would look for a quality aftermarket product.
But maybe this chatter is also (partly?) caused by the belt slipping somehow. Who knows.
By the End of July I might reach 10.000km on mine and will rip apart the drivetrain for a closer look, at least cleaning everything and changing the belt.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:58 PM »
I've got about 7500 miles and 4 years but the clutch still works pretty smooth. Of course I don't do burn outs or wheel stands (haha)!
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »
mine is reaching 4000km.. cleaned once at 1500km and seems like it will need a clean up soon. aint thaaaat smooth anymore.
soft brush - brake cleaner - cloth - sand paper and its good as new

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 08:08:44 PM »
mine is reaching 4000km.. cleaned once at 1500km and seems like it will need a clean up soon. aint thaaaat smooth anymore.
soft brush - brake cleaner - cloth - sand paper and its good as new

You probably already do this - but do you give it a good twist of the throttle each time you take off?
Many claim that this will keep the clutch pads from glazing and chattering.
This is working for me on both the LIKE200i and the Burgman. (this is highly recommended on Burgman 400's)
Early on I had a bit of chatter by riding too gently from take-offs. Then I switched to being more aggressive with the starts and chatter went completely away - for a couple of years now.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 05:02:12 AM »
correct. taking off is full throtle.. then ease but below 30mph its full thotle always. if you take off like a lady it chatters like crazy!!!
but i do heavy trafic and cant really take off.. it more moving allong and finding space to move

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »
correct. taking off is full throtle.. then ease but below 30mph its full thotle always. if you take off like a lady it chatters like crazy!!!
but i do heavy trafic and cant really take off.. it more moving allong and finding space to move

Yes, I see what you mean.
Heavy traffic would be a pain.
If I had to ride in heavy traffic every day. ....with clutch glazing over each day.....think I'd get a motorcycle.  Stay in first gear and poke along.
Some find  motorcycle gears a bother....I never did.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()