Author Topic: About to purchase Agility with a starting issue-questions, things to look for  (Read 648 times)

rondonald

• View Profile
I think I'm going to purchase this scooter tomorrow:
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/4564963290.html

I was wondering what you guys thought of it on here.  What would you pay?  Do you think I should avoid it like the plague or try for a deal because of the starting issue?  I have decent mechanical abilities and don't mind turning a wrench, but am I barking up the wrong tree with this?  The owner told me it has been to a couple mechanics who couldn't solve the problem, but I'm not sure what they replaced.  The scooter turns over, just doesn't fire.  Could it really be that it has no compression or is it likely something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Bring a compression tester, and see what you have. 120PSI or better.

Figure on a carb cleaning, new fuel filter/petcock/sparkplug. That should fire it. If not assume all the electrical is bad... Stator/cdi/rectifier/coil. That stuff is around 200-300.00. Deal to take that off the price.

It may just be a loose/bad ground or kill switch/kickstand switch/loose plug cap connection. don't try to fix it in front of the seller... Just offer on a worst case basis IF it has good compression. It is obviously worthless as a trade in (thus he still has it/new Vespa) not running so he will either take an educated offer or try to rip off the next guy.

If the compression is bad offer 150-200.00 or walk. Please keep us informed on what happens.

Welcome to the Forum as well!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:33:39 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()