Author Topic: New Rider on P150  (Read 1035 times)

GaBrat66

• View Profile
New Rider on P150
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
Hello...

I JUST upgraded from a Longbo Traveler 49cc (which was great for a first experience the first few months) to a Kymco People 150.  I just purchased it used from a new friend.  This friend is EXTREMELY anal about the upkeep of their "toys" (boat, honda shadow, bikes, etc) as well as any powered equipment.  The only reason for the sale is that they too upgraded their kymco P150 (which I bought) with a honda shadow.  I did a lot of research and found kymco very reliable and felt comfortable with my purchase.

The odometer reads 4911 and purchased price was only $1,400 (deal to a new friend).  I have rode the bike before buying and it is smooth sailing and looks new.  I want to get on track with myy own records of maintenance.  Can someone, anyone, tell me what would be the first things to do when buying a used bike outside of changing the oil?  As mentioned, there is NO mechanical problems and practically new condition.  I want to keep it this way.

Also, I would like to be able to travel about 140 miles (secondary roads) one way to visit a family member and was wondering what kind of ride to expect.  Would my P150 be able to handle the trip without straining the engine? Will my butt be hurting too much to enjoy the visit after the ride?  What would be top speed for the duration of the trip?

One other thing....I have heard there are ways to get more top end speed.  Can someone help advise me of a way to do it myself...or have a mechanic do it cheaply?

Now that I'm here I am off to read everything I can find here.  Thanks in advance.....

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:13:53 PM by GaBrat66 »

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: New Rider on P150
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 06:40:13 AM »
Just check consumable parts like belt, clutch, wheel bearings, tires, brake lining, etc.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:06:46 AM »
Hope you enjoy your 150 as much as I enjoy mine.  Top speed is between 55 and 60 (although speedometer will read erroneously high).  It is a great scooter for around town and short trips on the highway but 140 miles one way is a bit long.  I have no doubt the bike could handle the trip at WOT.  I would guess that the trip would be a lot harder on the rider than on the scoot.  Good luck and be safe!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:37:15 AM »
That is a long trip for a "newbie". Get your feet wet, and try a 25/50 mile round trip to feel it out. I overestimated a 175 enduro once...once. For the Maintence... Just read read read. You will pick it all up.
This forum is most likely the BEST place to get info on the scoot life. More so than just part numbers, and dry facts. READ READ READ!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()