Author Topic: Tail light does not work?  (Read 1615 times)

gtoscott1970

• View Profile
Tail light does not work?
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:36:28 PM »
Any advice out there how to diagnose a non-working tail light?  The bulb is good as I've tested it in my 2nd Agility 125 (his & hers) which has a working tail light.

All other lights are functioning (Brake light works, turn signals work, headlight works, etc..), just no tail light?

I had this scooter serviced for a non-working brake light which was fixed under warranty, but now the tail light does not work.  I do not recall if the tail light worked or not after the brake light was fixed...

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: Tail light does not work?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
The Agility turns off the headlight and taillight when engaging the starter right?  If your headlight is also out then it's the connector near the starter.  If the headlight still works - then start at the taillight and check the bulb socket contacts and then the wiring connectors.  Make sure the wires are all in securely in the connectors and that they don't have corrosion or other damage to the contacts (ie: a broken or bent contact in the connector).  If you have a multimeter or a 12v power tester then also check for continuity out to the light and for power to the connector (always try to check both at each junction).
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

gtoscott1970

• View Profile
Re: Tail light does not work?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:01:59 AM »
Problem solved - It was a wire harness that was mutilated during manufacture.  The ground wire leads for the tail light and the fuel sending unit were cut in half and another wire in the main harness was partially severed.  I got some wire connectors and spliced the wires back together and taped over everything - good as new!  The local Kymco dealer serviced the previously not working brake light by splicing in a new ground lead to the frame in the tail light pig tail connector, but failed to notice the non-working tail light - so basically they did a lazy fix and didn't find the mutilated wire harness.  Luckily this was covered under warranty and I did not have to pay for this!

I had to remove all the body panels from the scooter and trace the wires from the tail light to the battery...  The wire harness was butchered up behind the body work near the right side passenger foot rest area.

Removing all the body work was a little tricky but not too hard - just be careful not to force anything too much or you'll risk cracking the plastic.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:54:00 PM by gtoscott1970 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()