Author Topic: crash on go pro  (Read 1781 times)

mnpugdog

• View Profile
crash on go pro
« on: June 27, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
Just a beautiful day cruising along on the mountainside and HOLY f*** THAT ONCOMING FIRE TRUCK!

The graphic video below show a head-on collision between a GoPro-clad California motorcyclist and a massive fire truck. The brutal wreck goes down just after the 2:35 mark. In the aftermath, around the 11:00 mark, you see the rider’s friend retrieve the GoPro at his wrecked buddy’s request, which was knocked off his helmet at impact and left sitting on the side of the road.

Jesse Lopez, who uploaded the video to YouTube on June 5, said the crash occurred on April 1 as he was riding his motorcycle on curving Glendora Ridge Road in the Angeles National Forest.

Lopez said in his YouTube post that he remembers riding on the winding mountain road but couldn’t recall the moments before or immediately after the accident.

Might be a little time before Jesse is riding again. And damn, GoPro’s are durable as sh**!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:43:39 PM by mnpugdog »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: crash on go pro
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:35:17 AM »
Sad.
Too much speed, lack of knowledge that rough section was coming, lack of sight line down the road, GoProing for the audience.
Subtract the speed factor....he would have had a nice days ride.
S P E E D.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:39:04 AM »
Wow! What can you say to that.

I'm curious if the was a two direction road? Was the rider out of his lane?  Was the firetruck traveling the wrong direction on a one way road?

I HATE having to say the same thing on all of these vids... Unposted speed limits in Cali are 25mph. I did not see one speed limit sign but I did see his speedo. 50mph average.

I've been close to killing myself several times on bikes, and it was always due to NOT obeying road rules or lack of  common sense in less than perfect conditions.

Sorry for that fella for sure...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 05:03:37 AM »
It looks like that's a one way road. If you stop the video just before he hits the truck you can see there's no way there's enough room for two cars to pass each other. The only thing is, the other truck comes from the same direction. Not sure what's going on there. It also looks like he loses traction just before he hits. His bike seems to jump a couple times. He may have panicked when he saw the fire truck.
   I hope he came out of this ok. At least he had a helmet on. Hmmm jb.  <--This last part was my cat typing. She put her paw on my iPad when I wasn't looking. Lol!

Ride safe everyone, mscmkr

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
Yikes. I hope the guy will recover from his injuries.

I don't know the road he was traveling. However, I have ridden many single lane (undivided) roads like this. A bit of bad timing to blow a corner (going wide on exit of a turn) where a fire truck just so happen to be coming the opposite direction. This is good example and learning lesson to ride within your skill level. I have dialed back my riding pace quite a bit when it comes to blind corners on roads like this. You just never know what you're going to encounter on the other side.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »
Yikes. I hope the guy will recover from his injuries.

I don't know the road he was traveling. However, I have ridden many single lane (undivided) roads like this. A bit of bad timing to blow a corner (going wide on exit of a turn) where a fire truck just so happen to be coming the opposite direction. This is good example and learning lesson to ride within your skill level. I have dialed back my riding pace quite a bit when it comes to blind corners on roads like this. You just never know what you're going to encounter on the other side.
Absolutely.
Slow down on blind corners.....
The corn is so high now on my country rides that I cannot see around the bends....oncoming cars like to get too near the center line! 2 of them this morning.  Slowed me right down on a road that I know well.....I know the road but conditions have changed!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 07:32:18 PM »
Absolutely.
Slow down on blind corners.....
The corn is so high now on my country rides that I cannot see around the bends....oncoming cars like to get too near the center line! 2 of them this morning.  Slowed me right down on a road that I know well.....I know the road but conditions have changed!
Stig

Another good point;

On roads like this, NEVER cut corners. Especially where your sight lines (seeing beyond the exit of a turn) is limited, to none. Stay right of center. Never ride left of center. I shake my head to drivers and riders that I have come across using the whole lane and or have cut corners. Fortunately, I am experienced enough to make minimal adjustments to avoid a collision. I can't stress it enough, stay in control, and on your side of the lane.

Road Conditions; it's one thing knowing a road, as noted, conditions are NOT always the same. Therefore, again, ride within your limits, ride with good awareness to allow yourself a good margin to make minimal adjustments needed to avoid any situation.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:28:35 AM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »

Road Conditions; it's one thing knowing a road, as noted, conditions are NOT always the same.

That dump truck delivering sand just hit the pothole that you always miss. You know, the one just as you exit your favorite sweeper... I guess about 10lbs of sand just fell out the back... That was 20 minutes before you come throttling thru YOUR corner.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()