Author Topic: Considering a Grand Vista  (Read 577 times)

daybeau

• View Profile
Considering a Grand Vista
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:41:26 AM »
As a relatively tall (6'3"+) newbie (riding just over a month) to the world of motorized two-wheelers, I sat on quite a few different types of highway rated scooters (e.g. Honda Helix, Yamaha Morphus, Kymco Downtown 300i, Kymco People GT, Burgman 400, Honda Forza) and found that a used 2009 Grandvista 250 fit my frame the best. I was looking for a low-cost, fuel-efficient vehicle for my south Jersey commute (roughly 60 miles round trip from near US 40 and NJ 55 to just shy of the DE Memorial Bridge taking US 40 nearly the whole way). There is a helmet peg on the steering column and a good bit of under seat storage (I keep a couple of tools in a pouch, locking chain, hi-viz vest, and a zip bag containing a 2-piece rain suit and still have room for my soft-sided shoulder bag for books, papers, clean shirt and small towel). The previous owner had purchased a Shad top box that is really handy.

The seat is rough on my aging, arthritic tail bone, but I usually just put a cushion in place. Bumps on the road are very noticeable--whether a scooter with 14" or 16" wheels would improve that situation, I can't say. (It would probably help if I could figure out how to adjust the rear suspension.) Also, I have to slow w-a-y down for turns at intersections, but that may be due as much to my inexperience as a rider as it is to wheel size or the proximity of the bottom of the scooter to the road surface.

About the folding mirrors. The first time I tried to ride my GV, only the second time I ever tried to ride a motorbike, I laid it down, and the black mount of the left mirror snapped off. I've tried repairing it with various adhesives, but none has proved lasting. Because of the motorized folding mechanism, replacing the entire mirror assembly is really pricey compared to mirrors for just about any other type of scooter--if you can find a replacement. I'm hoping I can find a replacement for just the black mount, which is not the motorized part, for under $40. I've seen web sites listing the whole assembly at over $100--and none of the ones I've found match the color (white) of my GV.

All told, I am satisfied with my GV, especially considering the price. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:44:54 AM by daybeau »
2009 KYMCO Grandvista 250 white (only mod besides the top case is some JB Weld trying to hold the left mirror mount together)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Considering a Grand Vista
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
Have you read the thread under the Grandvista Heading.  May answer several questions.  I have broken mirror bases several times and always use JB Weld.  Takes 12-24 hours til it sets up,  but has worked well for me.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()