Author Topic: Scooter won't start, Please help! *SOLVED*  (Read 16282 times)

superjoefly

• View Profile
Scooter won't start, Please help! *SOLVED*
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:20:02 PM »
I have a 2011 People 150 that has been sitting outside for a while and would not start. I replaced the battery and changed the oil. Now, when I turn the key, the headlight does not come on. When I push the starter button (with the kill switch in the correct position and the brake pulled) nothing happens...no clicking or anything. The bright light does come on when the button is pushed down, but not when left in the upward "on" position. All the turn signals work, and the horn and gas gauge work. Any ideas and/or suggestions to get it running again will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:16:35 AM by superjoefly »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter won't start, Please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
What bright light and what button are you referring?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

superjoefly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:20:43 PM »
When I turn the key, there is the regular low beam light that is not coming on. Then, next to the left handle, there is a switch for the high beam, or bright, lights. When I push the switch for the high beam lights down, it comes on, but when I push the switch up, which should lock the high beam on, it doesn't come on.

Also, it started making the clicking noise now, but won't turn over.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:25:06 PM by superjoefly »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:27:56 PM »
OK, got it on what light and switchology. The clicking but won't turn over sounds like low battery voltage or bad electrical contact between battery and starter circuit and probably everything else. The clicking is the starter solenoid/relay closing and opening.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

superjoefly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »
I'm a bit confused about the term "turn over"... When I hit the starter button, it makes more than just a clicking noise...it's trying to start, but doesn't...it's like a revving sound...revevrevrev... any idea what would prevent it from fully starting up? I also still don't know why the lights aren't fully functional. Thanks for your help :-)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:55:37 PM »
You were the one using the term "turn over" to describe what was going on. It is really important to accurately describe the symptoms so we can try to diagnose the problem so you can fix it. Might help to post a video with sound to clear things up.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

superjoefly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 08:14:11 PM »
Yes...I wasn't sure that I was using the right term...lol...I'm going to replace the spark plug today...as far as I can tell, I'm not getting a spark on the old one. If that doesn't work, and I still need help, I'll try to upload a video. Thanks :-)

superjoefly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 02:06:55 AM »
Update:
I replaced the spark plug, but I'm still not getting a spark. The engine turns over, but it doesn't start. I've also noticed that the engine turns over regardless of the position of the kill switch. Does this indicate a faulty kill switch? Everything I've read suggests a faulty kill switch or ignition problem...most likely the coil. Any other ideas/ suggestions are appreciated. Thanks :-)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 10:36:50 AM »
At least on my Kymco LIKE200I the engine will turn over no matter what position kill switch is in......just will not start if in kill position.
If no spark....check for good connection wire to plug cap (remove cap trim 1/4" off wire. ..reattach)....also connection plug cap to plug.
Fuses?
Don't think coil goes bad by sitting for two years. ..but maybe.
Recently seen fuses blown while owner fumbling with new battery.
Are you VERY sure about no spark?
Sitting two yr scooter would think fueling problem if running before.
Flooded.....too small battery. ...carb caked.....do these have kick start?
Some might try jump start from car battery. ...csr NOT running@!! Car off when jumping ....keeping start attemps short!
I got nothing else.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

superjoefly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 08:06:21 PM »
Solved:
After testing the new spark plug and still not getting a spark, I went ahead and put the spark plug in anyway. The scooter still wouldn't start. I read online that if you arent getting a spark, then there's often a problem with the ignition system or kill switch. As a last resort, I put some WD40 into the kill switch area and clicked it back and for a bit. I also noticed the the brake light wasn't working well while squeezing the right brake lever, so I shook it around some and squeezed it a number of times to try and get a better connection. After doing that, I gave it another try and it started right up. Now it's running great...rode it around for a bit and it's all working fine...even the headlight is working. I think that the electrical connections were dirty and I wasn't getting a good ground. I know the carburetor still needs to be cleaned, so that's the next step for me...never done it before. If anyone has a good reference for cleaning the carb, preferably with pictures or video, please let me know. This made my day! :-)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter won't start, Please help! *SOLVED*
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
Hey great news and great job sorting this out !@!@
Also.... a BIG THANK YOU for posting back to us after the fix!......too often we do not get that.
Your posts will help a fellow scooter owner!

Ride safe
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter won't start, Please help! *SOLVED*
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »
What Stig said plus knowing what you did will be of benefit for the future similar failures that will show up here. You "closed the loop" very nicely.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()