Author Topic: Freezing Winter Weather Gloves recommendations  (Read 6038 times)

Emil

• View Profile
Freezing Winter Weather Gloves recommendations
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:55:38 PM »
Hi,

There are some winter clothing threads here already but in my experience most of the cold can be come by rather easy with layers, thick socks and rain pants. But when it comes to gloves there is not much that can be done unless the gloves are really good.
So my question is, are there any all year commuters here that found good gloves, the kind that are still ok for a one hour commute at 15F (-10C)? I have found the Held Freezer gloves that seem to be pretty good but at $170 I am turning slightly pale...
Is anyone here using more affordable gloves on the coldest days?

Emil

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: Freezing Winter Weather Gloves recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
Search for electric glove liners. About half the price you stated. low wattage and runs on the bike electrical system.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »
i simply use woolen gloves but over use thinsulate brand mittens that are actually ski mittens....work fine and no problem re controls...

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »
For that amount of time, you are going to need electric heat.
Blocking the wind goes a long way, but I have not seen many scooters with guards and electric grips.
Heated grips alone won't do it either.
Heated gloves I have not tried.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:52:30 AM »
I use a double layer snowmoble gloves that go almost up to my elbow they help block the wind from going up in to your coat sleave. coast me about 60.00. If I Go for long rides in the cold a good pair of hunting hand wormers are good.

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:46:27 AM »
I just use cheap $14 gloves for snow I guess that I got from kohls. They work pretty well and aren't too bulky

EcafRuoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »
I picked up $40 gloves yesterday for my scoot. They have a lil metal nub in the index finger and thumb so you can use your touch screen device in a pinch thru cunduction of body heat at the finge tips.   Luvin it.  REFERENCE "Dick's Sporting Goods"
Mushrooms Eat Oil (mycoremediation)

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »
Adventurous stuff here - keep them coming!

Some comments from my side:
- Mittens are great for warmth but totally freak me out when riding. Tried it once and never again.
- Snow/skiing gloves don't do it. Tried that a while ago. Hitting their limit at a 20 minutes ride @ 40F.
- Those snowmobile gloves, are they really waterproof?
- Hand warmers sounds great for emergencies. I once rode home at -5F, it was only a 20minutes ride, I think I was wearing those damn ski gloves, but put plastic bags on top. It was such a hand nightmare - my fingers I think almost fell off and I had a numb-tickling feeling in them for another 2 weeks!
- I would love to hear how those $40 gloves from Dick's are doing at 20F

My latest decision was going with the Tour Master Elite gloves that are on sale for $80 and then considering electric liners once ice crystals are forming on my knuckles... but dammit, my size is all of a sudden sold out.

Is anybody here using electric gear? I was wondering how to do the wiring. Maybe drill some holes to access the battery and with a cable outlet in front of the seat. Or on the side?
Wish all that stuff was cheaper...

tastroman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
 I've used mittens in the winter for years. When it gets really cold I wear them with an extra fleece liner. 

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »
Have you tried grip mittens?  They look funny but they probably work well.
I am thinking of getting some myself.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/263/25861/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Paws-Gauntlets.aspx

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
Hey Steve, that's an excellent idea! Never thought about that.
And I kind of care less how it looks once it gets cold enough.

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
Look, they also have them specifically for scooters and it looks like they can be attached/removed anytime, so they can stay under the seat when it's not so cold.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/18/173/21047/ITEM/Kwik-Tek-ScootR-Logic-Hand-Mitts.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

EcafRuoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »
Look, they also have them specifically for scooters and it looks like they can be attached/removed anytime, so they can stay under the seat when it's not so cold.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/18/173/21047/ITEM/Kwik-Tek-ScootR-Logic-Hand-Mitts.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Throw a chem hand warmer in those.... nice
Mushrooms Eat Oil (mycoremediation)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »
I have a pair of the scooter mittens, though I need to practice with them more. Having my hands confined inside them feels weird, especially since I like to open my visor at stops to let air in and to stop from
fogging up. With the Mittens you're kind of locked in, kind of like you're handcuffed to the handlebar.

I have a nice pair of winter gloves that I use for my 30 minute commute, but once it starts to get below freezing, I won't ride that day -- ice on the ground is a good deterrent for me, especially on some of the
twisty-turns I take. Another factor is I need to have a glove that will allow my fingers to operate a zipper. I have to pay one toll when I head into Philly. My scooter jacket and leather jacket have chest pockets
where I keep my toll money. Getting and opening a wallet with gloves is too hard, but I have a pretty good system worked out with my chest pockets that I can operate with my current gloves. Anything heavier
(glove-wise) would require me to remove my gloves, get my money, and place my gloves back on -- at which point everyone behind me at the toll plaza would scream for my head (by way of their horns). Last
thing I want is early morning road rage commuters tailgating me at over 50 mph.

-Wolf

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
Getting and opening a wallet with gloves is too hard, but I have a pretty good system worked out with my chest pockets that I can operate with my current gloves. Anything heavier

-Wolf [/quote]
Wolf, you need to get EasyPass.  I don't go without it. 
I installed handguards yesterday and will try them out this AM.  36º right now, I'll leave in about a half hour.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()