Author Topic: Break in on new 2014 Kymco 200i  (Read 2202 times)

Remfire

• View Profile
Break in on new 2014 Kymco 200i
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:16:53 AM »
Dealer delivered on Saturday, 1 mile on OD, after warm up, ran first two miles at  60mph, slower after that, next ten miles, ran mile or two at 60mph, then lower speeds, is this a good way to break in this new bike?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Break in on new 2014 Kymco 200i
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »
if you are breaking in your scooter hard read moto usa.com      and it will tell all about there system,  I did it too,    I used a steep hill to give me compression up the hill and decompression down the hill, that will set the rings ,  at 25 miles I changed the oil , then 50 miles,  double it every change up to what they say for regular oil changes,.  all with regular oil and switch to full synthetic at 1600  or over miles never run steady speed until broken in,  and allways change your oil hot!   a lot faster and all the flakes etc. floating in the oil,. does not have time to settle,.  wear rubber gloves that oil is hot on the fingers, 

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:22:35 PM »
Dealer delivered on Saturday, 1 mile on OD, after warm up, ran first two miles at  60mph, slower after that, next ten miles, ran mile or two at 60mph, then lower speeds, is this a good way to break in this new bike?

Remfire, Kymco recommends to not run at full throttle during the initial break in period, which according to the owner's manual I believe is 600 miles. Now that's not to say I haven't opened the throttle up a time or two, but only for a short distance. You'll want to vary your speeds anywhere from 20-50 mph during the initial break in. This will allow the internal engine components to wear properly, and expand and contract under different heat loads. Change the oil & gear oil immediately, I ran it for about 300 miles and I noticed as soon as I switched to new oil (I used regular Valvoline 10w-40 for motocycles), and use Lucas Oil (80w90) gear oil for the final drive (Both $4.99 & $8.99 respectively at my local autozone). You'll also want to do a valve adjustment, I did mine at 300 miles per the book, pretty easy to do if you have the tools (10 mm socket, extension, ratchet, philips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, feeler gage (w/ .004 in. gage), 17mm socket to turn the fan clutch, and a few rags! Be careful on the new kenda tires, it takes a good 300-500 miles to break them in properly, I noticed going through a few simple turns that the bike likes (no pun intended) to slide out from underneath me.

Welcome to the forum & enjoy your new scoot! Stig is the resident Like expert, reach out to him if you have any questions!
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:05:56 PM »
Please see page 19 of your owner's manual. KYMCO spells out how they think the scooter should be treated during the break-in period.
It is not easy to follow their procedure - but not impossible. I followed it and now have about 8000 miles on my LIKE 200i with no oil usage between my frequent changes.

Scooter & motorcycle break-in procedures run the gamut - there are as many experts as pretenders.
My vehicles come with a manual from the folks who made it - so I follow along as they describe. This scooter is so very easy to service - it is actually fun to do the maintenance as scheduled in the manual - or even more freq. if you've a mind (like a lot of us do)
No regrets.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »
I've seen people buy new scooter and just ride them like they stole it but they always say that then definitely change the fluids at the intervals
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
I've seen people buy new scooter and just ride them like they stole it but they always say that then definitely change the fluids at the intervals
Well, if I was riding it hard like that - I'd be changing that engine oil every 500-800 miles.
I ride mine like a senior....and change engine oil every 600 miles.
8000 on the scoot now, and uses no oil.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
you'll right about that
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!