Author Topic: Buyers Remorse, sort of.  (Read 4078 times)

djpo

• View Profile
Buyers Remorse, sort of.
« on: May 12, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
I got my Kymco Like 200i (gosh that's a mouthful) 2 weeks ago. I'm happy with it, but have always wanted a Vespa. I just didn't want to spend the $. So Kymco was a good compromise for me.

Well, Vespa announced their 70th anniversary editions for the Vespa GTS 300 ABS starting at $6,999. And the color has got me drooling. Pic below.

Well, it's still 4 grand more than I paid for the Kymco so I'll keep enjoying the Like for another year or two and then upgrade to my dream scoot.
🏍  Rolling in style on a 2015 Kymco Like 200i  🏍
Smoking the streets of Kitsap County - Washington State

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Buyers Remorse, sort of.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
Your Like will serve you well if my wife's and Stig's is any indication, among others.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:53:59 PM »
You can get a really nice paint job for a lot less than three grand

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:54:54 AM »
If that is you in the avatar you will look good on that. Vespa sells a work of art, if it calls your name, I say get it when the time is right.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:31:52 PM »
Is that one of the "80mph" Vespas?
80 on 12" wheels and a scoot 7mm longer than a LIKE200i !! I'd want 10 more inches of wheelbase at those speeds.
Vespas are superb looking machines - wish KYMCO would spray some colors similar to the Italians. Would not cost one dong more ! Anyone who can buy a new Vespa can afford the service fees.

Also, the Vespa seats are amazing - if KYMCO were to offer different seat coverings and some VESPA-like earth colors they'd be a good seller - especially if parked in the same showroom with a $8K (OTD) VESPA.
Vespas make people goofy - like this gal warming herself next to a hot Vespa??
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

djpo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
If that is you in the avatar you will look good on that. Vespa sells a work of art, if it calls your name, I say get it when the time is right.

LOL. No I took a random photo of someone to use as my avatar. LOL... / Thanks  still LOL

NJrider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 05:53:41 PM »
Ok, I think I am fairly qualified to respond to this considering I have both a Kymco Like 200i and a Vespa GTS.  Here is my take on it, the Vespa is AMAZING!  It can do 70-80mph and is stable on the highway.  It feels more solid, comfortable, and roomier than my Like.  Now that being said, I LOVE the Like!  My like came in it at UNDER $3000 OTD.  You would be lucky to see the Vespa for $7000 OTD, more like $8k as everyone has stated.  My OTD Price included the chrome side guards, windscreen, and under seat storage bag (those are big $$$ on a GTS).  Another thing, the like comes with a top case and the Vespa does not - add another $400 or so for that.  Based on all this, the Kymco is a STEAL compared to the Vespa.  You could feasibly get 3 Kymco's for the price of a single Vespa GTS or 2 for the price of the Vespa LX...  Both Kymco and Vespa have a 2 year warranty BTW.

Now understand I am not a Kymco fan boy- I am a hard core European bike and car enthusiast.  I have had quite a few Vespa's and loved them all and they have been ultra reliable.  I also dislike Asian bikes and cars in general and I consider them imitations of American and European inventions or innovations.  However if the price is that much lower I am more than willing to "settle" for a copy.  As for Kymco, how bad can they be, they are building engines for BMW and many others....  Just my 10 cents on the subject, enjoy your Like 200i it is a great little machine.

I got my Kymco Like 200i (gosh that's a mouthful) 2 weeks ago. I'm happy with it, but have always wanted a Vespa. I just didn't want to spend the $. So Kymco was a good compromise for me.

Well, Vespa announced their 70th anniversary editions for the Vespa GTS 300 ABS starting at $6,999. And the color has got me drooling. Pic below.

Well, it's still 4 grand more than I paid for the Kymco so I'll keep enjoying the Like for another year or two and then upgrade to my dream scoot.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
Ok, I think I am fairly qualified to respond to this considering I have both a Kymco Like 200i and a Vespa GTS.  Here is my take on it, the Vespa is AMAZING!  It can do 70-80mph and is stable on the highway.  It feels more solid, comfortable, and roomier than my Like.  Now that being said, I LOVE the Like!  My like came in it at UNDER $3000 OTD.  You would be lucky to see the Vespa for $7000 OTD, more like $8k as everyone has stated.  My OTD Price included the chrome side guards, windscreen, and under seat storage bag (those are big $$$ on a GTS).  Another thing, the like comes with a top case and the Vespa does not - add another $400 or so for that.  Based on all this, the Kymco is a STEAL compared to the Vespa.  You could feasibly get 3 Kymco's for the price of a single Vespa GTS or 2 for the price of the Vespa LX...  Both Kymco and Vespa have a 2 year warranty BTW.

Now understand I am not a Kymco fan boy- I am a hard core European bike and car enthusiast.  I have had quite a few Vespa's and loved them all and they have been ultra reliable.  I also dislike Asian bikes and cars in general and I consider them imitations of American and European inventions or innovations.  However if the price is that much lower I am more than willing to "settle" for a copy.  As for Kymco, how bad can they be, they are building engines for BMW and many others....  Just my 10 cents on the subject, enjoy your Like 200i it is a great little machine.

Great post!
Thanks for your input. ....esp from your unique perspective.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:57:37 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »
OP I went through the same thing as you when I bought my Like over a Vespa. Coming from motorcycles I wasn't usre if a scooter was for me and I did not want to spent the $ to find out so the Kymco won out. I can honestly say after nearly 4 years and 13,000 miles I have no more regretes. The Like has been an amazing littel runner. In 2018 Vespa will release a new GTS and I will probably add that to my stable. The Like I decided stays until she can run no more. She's earned her keeps.

djpo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »
OP I went through the same thing as you when I bought my Like over a Vespa. Coming from motorcycles I wasn't usre if a scooter was for me and I did not want to spent the $ to find out so the Kymco won out. I can honestly say after nearly 4 years and 13,000 miles I have no more regretes. The Like has been an amazing littel runner. In 2018 Vespa will release a new GTS and I will probably add that to my stable. The Like I decided stays until she can run no more. She's earned her keeps.

Nice. Thanks. :)

djpo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »

Excellent comparison. Thanks for taking the time to provide your 10 cents ;)

Groversmith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 08:13:40 PM »
Not to be a buzz kill but you can buy an used economy car for $8k. $4k is a lot of money for a cute paint job and leather handles...

djpo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »
Not to be a buzz kill but you can buy an used economy car for $8k. $4k is a lot of money for a cute paint job and leather handles...

I'm used to having a "like" button. But in lieu of that,

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »
Here's a link to another forum showing one of the members who purchased the 70th anniversary GTS. http://modernvespa.com/forum/post2076315#2076315

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »
Here's a link to another forum showing one of the members who purchased the 70th anniversary GTS. http://modernvespa.com/forum/post2076315#2076315

I like the red one that murdered the sheep.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()