Author Topic: Night time riding using low beam  (Read 4253 times)

8eeman77

• Work hard, ride safe
  • I'm a scooter loving Apiarist
    • View Profile
Night time riding using low beam
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
I took my Downtown 300i for its first night run tonight. I was very disappointed with the lack of vision given by the low beams. High beam worked great but the low beams were very ineffective and unsafe. The low beam doesn't show far enough in front especially at speeds of 90-100kms/h. They shine out in front of the scooter but strangely seems to just cut out at a certain distance and height, with complete darkness above the light, giving me not enough light in the distance to stop quickly if I spot trouble. Has anybody else noticed this? Is there a way to adjust the low beam so the light does not cut out too short and lengthen the field of view it covers? The light the low beam shows to the side of the road is sufficient, its just the distance in front of my scooter thats insufficient. Thanks.
The Kymco DT 300i ABS is the best scooter you can get. I love it's carefree automatic ride. I would like to see kymco make a 600cc version but no heavier then the 300. I would buy it for sure

moparkid

• View Profile
Re: Night time riding using low beam
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
You should always have your high beam on, thats just motorcycle riding 101. As for your lower beam, if you're in town/city with street lights and other lights from traffic your low beam will suffice. But on the open road its always high beam time. I never use my low beam. And you will not blind on coming traffic with your high beams. Just leave it on high.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »
I went through all the lights available, and found they where all lousy,.  I got HID lights and they are much better, but they are still not long distance lighting, on low beam,. tried HID in high beam but could not focus, so I have original lights in high beam,. so I have been thinking of high and low on all of the time,. or go to auxillary lights,.  check out old posts from last year from racewalker he has that set up,. 
   2011 downtown 38,000 km. and counting

SaltyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 02:15:25 AM »
On my bike, the low beams were angled too far downward from the factory and I could only see around 15 or 20ft. in front of the scooter at night.  The aim is adjustable, and after adjusting the stock low beams to point more upwards by a couple degrees or so, I now have no trouble with range (I can't estimate that far of range).  It is a pain to do though, as the only way I've found to access the adjustment screw was to remove the windshield and front cover.  If I recall correctly, it's just a phillips screw that has a toothed, elevated washer near the bulb.  Each of the high and low bulbs are independently adjustable, so there would be a total of 4 screws.

No doubt the HIDs would offer even better illumination, but you'll still likely have to go through the aiming process to get the most out of them.

It may not be best to use high beams at night with oncoming traffic - you may not blind them, but it will certainly introduces more glare into the oncoming drivers eyes as they try to pilot their cars/vans/trucks within their lane as they approach you.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:53:00 AM by SaltyDog »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:22:42 AM »
There are two factors, to see and to be seen... I'm more concerned on the latter... So, I just mix my highs and lows to be sure.... Just make sure to turn your lights to low when using your turn signals... turn signals can't be seen when headlights are on high...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »
At the speed I travel regularly I can see just fine with my cell phone open to my doctor's number.
(seriously, my LIKE has a pretty good light for my night driving every day to work. Lens gets warm - would not want any bigger bulb!)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
I agree Stig. My Like has a descent light too I think. Probably we are just easier to please? I can't imagine the Dowtown's light not being better. It's impressive looking.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 07:41:55 AM »
I purposely took a road tonight that is not well lit. Our light isn't hat good either. My Honda CBR had a great light for night riding.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

8eeman77

• Work hard, ride safe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »
You can't  leave your high beams on when riding everywhere on your scooter. The high beams must be dipped at 200 metres distance from the oncoming vehicle or when the other vehicle dips their lights, whichever comes first. If you ride around everywhere with high beams you are a danger to yourself and everybody on the road. It looks like I will have to look at adjusting my low beams slightly so that they focus further in front of my scooter. Thanks for the help!
The Kymco DT 300i ABS is the best scooter you can get. I love it's carefree automatic ride. I would like to see kymco make a 600cc version but no heavier then the 300. I would buy it for sure

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
   to adjust your lights , take the splash sheild off over the fender,  and use a # 2 stubby philps screw driver and you can reach the adjusting screws, on a downtown,.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »
In town I dont need the high beam, its out in the country where it is pitch black and deer every where,. 

8eeman77

• Work hard, ride safe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »
I took my DT into the local workshop, it seems my low beams were low. the mechanic raised them up by about 7.5cm using the screws under the light frame above the front wheel free of charge! i now feel safe riding at night as i can see much further into the distance. Im thinking about getting the high beams checked at some stage too just to be on the safe side. Thanks everybody for your help!

mjrii87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()