Author Topic: NAIL IN TIRE AGAIN  (Read 3828 times)

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
NAIL IN TIRE AGAIN
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »
what's the odds of getting a nail in your rear tire 1 month later a second time right next to the other 1 .cannot replug it again it's to close to the other 1 this is the second tire i have bought in 3 months both have had nails in the tire i think i have a vandal in the neighborhood that don't like scooters  i just cannot see getting another nail this close to the other plug this kinda luck i should be winning the lotto every week :(

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: NAIL IN TIRE AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:33:29 AM »
Use a big tire patch to patch both.... I would do that...

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:19:21 AM »
Huh, that is weird and really sucks.  Are you riding past any construction sites?  Make sure you're riding in the portion of the lane where car tires travel that tends to have a better chance of being debris free, and never never ride close to the curb/gutter.  Also despite what is taught in MSF class do not ride over scraps of wood as they ALWAYS contain nails.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:29:44 AM »
...and for full disclosure, I am a carpenter and have (accidentally) dropped a few nails in my lifetime... but none in Florida. 
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:14:18 PM »
Big boot like Vivo sez and dyna beads. Ride a different route for a week and call us in the morning!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
Big boot like Vivo sez and dyna beads. Ride a different route for a week and call us in the morning!

Karl

You've piqued my curiosity Karl, tell me more about Dyna Beads...  I understand that theoretically they will re-balance
Feeble's tire after the patch, but can you hear them, are they effective at low speed, do they really work, have you used them?

And good advice on a different route.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »
Yeah, they work. Vivo posted THE BEST graphic description of how they work. I have used them in motorhome tires and the scooters and they work like a charm. The Dyna Bead theory is the dense, little ceramic SPHERES work better than sand since they are smooth they won't abrade the tires. Sand will work but the beads are better in my opinion.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »
Hmmmm...  I just ran a search on Dyna Beads, turns out Feeble installed some back in September... perhaps the little suckers are attracting those nails.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »
Now, THAT"S what I'm talkin' about! You can see how they work, thanks to Vivo. What you can't see is the auto attraction for nails.......

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

SaltyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »
Yeah, they work. Vivo posted THE BEST graphic description of how they work. I have used them in motorhome tires and the scooters and they work like a charm. The Dyna Bead theory is the dense, little ceramic SPHERES work better than sand since they are smooth they won't abrade the tires. Sand will work but the beads are better in my opinion.

Karl
Feeble - unbelieveable odds at work there!

As Karl said, they do work well. 

However, if the shop you take your bike to for tire changes uses an automatic tire changer, it'd be a good idea to give them a heads-up that you'd put beads inside.  That way, they can try and extract all the beads before the tire pops off the rim (and the beads go flying everywhere, including into their machine.  Although they don't seem to abrade tires, they do wreak havoc/scratch/abrade when they find their way into the mechanical moving/sliding parts of those automatic tire changer machines - and I'm guessing that's probably why shops still use the traditional balancing weights.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:38:10 AM by SaltyDog »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
MSL, the reason most shops use weights is they have invested in either a static or dynamic (lotsa bucks) balancer and a tug-boat full of weights! Dyna-Beads renders all that dust collectors.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 02:10:29 AM »
yup i run dyno beads 2 ounces in front and rear and it rides as smooth as a baby ass ...bad issues is when you loose a tire so do the dyno's there not cheap .nope i stay clear of construction sites and i usually ride center of the road never near the out side edge just bad luck i guess

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
Just remove the valve stem and put slime in your tire.  I did this to my scoot and the repair lasted 14 months and 4,000 miles (note: I just left the nail in all that time).  I could have re-slimed it but I decided to take the wheel off and do a plug and patch and replace the valve stem (which had a split in the rubber, which fixed it.  Strange thing when I filled the tire to 40psi and submerged it completely in water there were no air bubbles anywhere not from the valve stem either.  I just decided to pull the nail and plug and patch.  After 10 days no air loss.

By the way.... The old slime from a year earlier just washed right off.  It was still liquid and stuck lightly to the rim and the inside of the tire.  A little light brushing and all was fine.  This will save you a lot of time and work. 

Also, if both nail holes are next to each other you can just drill and use a larger plug. 
PaulC

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 06:08:30 AM »
can't do slime when you roll with Dyno Beads :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()