Author Topic: Scooter won’t start after an oil change  (Read 1574 times)

Andy_myguy

• View Profile
Scooter won’t start after an oil change
« on: March 19, 2022, 08:17:07 PM »
I just changed the oil in my Agility 50 (used 10w-40 synthetic). Also changed the gear oil (used 80w- 90) and cleaned the air filter.

First, I want to say I don’t really know what I’m doing. I had watched videos teaching me how to do each of those tasks but I may have still done them wrong.

After draining out old oil, I put 750ml of 10w-40 in which was the recommended amount. However it was too full and the Oil nearly spilled out. So I drained some of the oil until it had the right reading on the dipstick.

I also cleaned oil filter using brake parts cleaner (I know that’s not what it’s meant for but that was the only clear I had lol) I got impatient and put it on while it wasn’t 100% dry.

Started her up and 30 seconds later she shut off. Haven’t been able to get her started since. She just turns over.

The battery is new, spark plug works, I have since cleaned the carburetor and tried changing the oil again. I’m running out of ideas of what it could be. Any help?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter won’t start after an oil change
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 10:47:19 PM »
You didn't bump the red kill switch "off" by any chance?
You cleaned the carburetor? How?

Welcome to the forum.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Andy_myguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »
You didn't bump the red kill switch "off" by any chance?
You cleaned the carburetor? How?

Welcome to the forum.
Stig

I’ve checked the kill switch several times. If it is the kill switch, It would have to be the wiring.

I opened up the carburetor and blew air through the jets and took some wire to scrape out any gunk that might be in there. I guess technically it was a jet clean and not a full carb clean

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 03:03:49 AM »
how old is the scoot and how many miles on her? I'm drinking a beer, watching the NCAA tourney and reading the Kymco forums...scratching my head thinking about this one.

Did you clean your carb after you had the starting issue? As in - it ran fine for 30 seconds, then died, then you took apart your carb to clean? Changing engine and gear oil shouldn't have any effect on starting (assuming you actually put oil back in the engine after draining!).

You need fuel, air, spark and compression to start. Have you confirmed you have spark by pulling your plug, grounding it on metal on the engine and cranking it over to see spark?

Is your spark plug wire firmly seated on your plug? You have fuel in your tank? Good battery?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Andy_myguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 03:18:01 AM »
how old is the scoot and how many miles on her? I'm drinking a beer, watching the NCAA tourney and reading the Kymco forums...scratching my head thinking about this one.

Did you clean your carb after you had the starting issue? As in - it ran fine for 30 seconds, then died, then you took apart your carb to clean? Changing engine and gear oil shouldn't have any effect on starting (assuming you actually put oil back in the engine after draining!).

You need fuel, air, spark and compression to start. Have you confirmed you have spark by pulling your plug, grounding it on metal on the engine and cranking it over to see spark?

Is your spark plug wire firmly seated on your plug? You have fuel in your tank? Good battery?

3400 kilometers. Yes, I put oil back in. The manual didn’t have the correct amount of oil listed so I overfilled the oil but then drained it to the right level before starting.

I cleaned the carb after I had trouble with it starting. And yes, removed the spark plug and grounded it and it does indeed spark. I have fuel in my tank and the battery is not the issue.

Could the engine possibly be flooded? And what would I do to fix that?
Perhaps the fuel filter is clogged I didn’t check that yet, Although there was gas in the carb when I cleaned it

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 12:18:09 PM »
have you checked that your air filter is not clogged? No obstructions blocking the air intake path? Is your fuel fresh? After more cranking can you drain your fuel bowl (using the drain screw) to confirm that you are still getting fuel? You may need to pull your carb and give it a full cleaning if all else fails.

Another way to isolate fuel delivery problems is to try to start the scoot with starting fluid sprayed into the intake side of the carb while you're cranking the engine over.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Andy_myguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 01:15:15 PM »
have you checked that your air filter is not clogged? No obstructions blocking the air intake path? Is your fuel fresh? After more cranking can you drain your fuel bowl (using the drain screw) to confirm that you are still getting fuel? You may need to pull your carb and give it a full cleaning if all else fails.

Another way to isolate fuel delivery problems is to try to start the scoot with starting fluid sprayed into the intake side of the carb while you're cranking the engine over.

Air filter is not clogged. The fuel is old. It sat this winter for several months, but I had just ridden it 15 miles before the oil change without any issues. I tried starting fluid with no luck. I will check fuel bowl. Thanks for the suggestion

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 02:24:29 PM »
oh, boy...so you tried starting fluid and it still didn't start? Did you spray it directly into the carb (intake side)?  If starting fluid doesn't work you've likely got a different problem, other than fuel. You said you have spark...have you checked compression? The easy test is to pull the plug and put your finger over the spark plug hole and crank the engine over. You should feel plenty of pressure pushing your finger off the hole.

You may also want to repost your issue in the General section...it will likely get more views than the Agility 50 section.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 03:21:56 PM »
are your valves adjusted properly?
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Andy_myguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 04:23:51 PM »
are your valves adjusted properly?

I’m not sure how to do that

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 06:32:40 PM »
I don’t think your symptoms are a classic sign of out of adjustment valves (although hard starting is). Go to Youtube and do a search for GY6 valve adjustment. Tons of videos. It’s a check of the clearance between your rockers and your valves, using a feeler gauge. You’ll remove your valve cover, make sure engine is at top dead center, and check the clearance. It’s a great skill every scooter owner should have and your scoot is probably due for its first valve clearance check at your current kilometers.

The youtube videos will have detailed instructions on how to do this.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Andy_myguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 11:36:11 PM »
It was was just flooded. I cranked it for a good 20 seconds without adding gas and it fired right up. I feel dumb that it was that simple but at least it wasn’t something serious. Thanks for the help!

punktnet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 09:03:18 AM »
You were near to engine catastrophic failure, judging by the experts on this area ;)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 08:00:24 AM »
You were near to engine catastrophic failure, judging by the experts on this area ;)

A bit harsh!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

punktnet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 07:35:35 AM »
You say? If the scoot drives fine , you change oil and dies, what are the chances to be something that bad?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()