Author Topic: which GPS unit  (Read 1180 times)

airshot

• View Profile
which GPS unit
« on: May 06, 2017, 03:29:54 AM »
   Wife and I are going to do some UTV riding this season and I know I will be needing a GPS unit capable of downloading trail maps. I am no computer wizard so I have no idea which model will be needed or how to go about loading the trail maps. Where does a fellow go to learn this stuff? I do have a Bass Pro store close by but no idea if they could help. Not even sure where to go to look at GPS units,  I do have a very simple unit in my boat and a simple nuvi unit for my car, but these are already programed for streets etc, and the boat unit is just a dot and leads you to another dot of your choosing without any roads or trails to follow.  I need to apply the KISS method here so any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Redk

• View Profile
Re: which GPS unit
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:59:37 AM »
I estimate the value of a product by shopping Amazon.
First, I look at whatever was the top seller.  It's gotten public acclaim for good reason.
Then I read reviews of those top sellers.
Last is to distinguish by price...  bang for the buck.
Then I try a little competitive shopping.
It's worked well for me.
redk

k9bitten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 02:12:33 AM »
I use a Garmin Montana 600. I use maps from GPStrailmasters.com but they only cover New England NY and PA. There might be other vendors for your area. You could always load a TOPO map on the gps and you'll at least know where you are. There is a learning curve to using the gps and the maps but there are plenty of YouTube tutorials for both  the gps and the maps.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:26:18 AM by k9bitten »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:35:37 AM »
I vote for eTrex 20 or 30. Supports either road or topo.  Garmin maps too expensive so went to a guy in Spokane, WA that makes road maps for the eTrex and I THINK he has topos as well. Los Arboritos is the outfit. Small screen but works well on the Downtown 300i.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MaineIac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
I am using a samsung galaxy with the GAIA Gps app. download the area prior to the ride and it works great!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:42:33 AM »
I am using a samsung galaxy with the GAIA Gps app. download the area prior to the ride and it works great!

As an old geezer and not a computer whiz, some of that downloading stuff is difficult, especially if you don't have a high tec phone.  I guess I need someone to walk me thru it, trying to find some local folks to show me "the way"

MaineIac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 01:33:13 AM »
Airshot-

here is a link to my track from this evening using the GAIA GPS on my samsung tablet.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/CFQQk9kWREOJEy7WWturNiGK

Check it out, pretty neat. tracks distance, average speed, highest speed, moving time and total time. Ascent and descent and much more

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()