Author Topic: Need help finding Mass airflow sensor for 2011 Like 200i  (Read 404 times)

micahneedham12

• View Profile
Need help finding Mass airflow sensor for 2011 Like 200i
« on: December 20, 2023, 09:20:38 PM »
I recently purchased a 2011 Kymco Like 200i from my friend for $500 as I can’t afford all the mechanical and legal things with a car but everything about the scooter sounded affordable. It looks pretty physically but trying to start it up with grandpa (the one who knows everything and I know absolutely nothing) revealed it’s been sitting for quite awhile. The tags are from 22 but he said he started it sometime in august. At first it wouldn’t start at all and just crank and we started with emptying the fuel tank cleaning it out adding treatment and gas and trying to flush as much of the fuel system as possible we also replaced the spark and it was starting to try harder to crank but was too clogged. He came to the conclusion it was the fuel injector and from help of an ai I found one that he installed and said it was magically starting up now but the issue that prevents me from riding still is he says after it idles for a bit it just cuts off and he says he believes it’s the MAF sensor not giving it enough air and thinks the part is bad from sitting so long, I’ve spent hours searching for the part and can’t come up with anything even with the help from ai so any help would be very appreciated. I have 4 pictures he sent me of the part but I couldn’t figure out how to attach them.

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Need help finding Mass airflow sensor for 2011 Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 10:06:29 PM »
@micahneedham12 welcome here!
I had two of this IMO very reliable and uncomplicated scooters.
Had to do some upgrading to both of them, but had no issues with this scoots air intake and regulation system.

Pls read a little bit in this (admittingly lenghty) tread, maybe there is a solution in it.
- CO or MAF sensor unplugged would cause a failure code only
- guess culprit is to search for somewhere else

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=29163.msg202615#msg202615

..to attach pics go to Attachments and other options, clic it , make your pics smaller and attach..
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:15:44 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

micahneedham12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 10:40:51 PM »
I remember reading that post when we started on this scooter and it seems the 2 things it highlights is the MAF or exhaust/cat but the reason my grandpa is saying MAF still is he’s educated in motorcycles and not scooters and his friend had a very similar issue all around with a 4 wheeler and once he replaced the fuel injector it was the same of it started but would turn on and once he replaced his MAF he said it was running like brand new so the current plan was tomorrow I was going to go to my grandpas to pick up the part and go to motorcycle shops hoping someone knows what I should do or get with the issue of not completely relying on a mechanic going to budget. I believe I attached an image of where he’s saying the problem lies

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 03:08:10 AM »
Very brief response...it is my bedtime🙃
The part atop your throttle body in your photo is not sold separately.
Kymco sells the throttle body as an assembled unit. Last time I looked a new throttle body was @$230.
More after coffee tomorrow.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 02:48:24 PM »
Needs some very light hand to clean!
CAN be successful with alcohol and Q-tips.
Read a lot before how to clean MAF sensors on cars, it's the same procedure. VERY VERY careful, you have only one try!

Might work, but no guaranty! Even I don't think the prob lies there.
Had this probs when BMW and MOTOGUZZI  changed from carburator to fuel injection.
Most cases were fuelpressure and dirt related.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 05:04:07 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 05:43:55 PM »
Before working with anything on the throttle body, which if it gets disturbed may never get right again~! -  - your issue could be any number of things.
The whole EFI system on this scooter has been pretty much bullet proof.....
Throttle body and/or the ECU have rarely proven to be the issue....no matter how it has been used, or not used.
Never had an issue with the mass airflow sensor on a LIKE200i reported here.

Things can corrode, (starter switch, frame ground, battery terminal, etc.) or rot over time. Especially if not ridden regularly.

A start then stall ...may be a torn/rotted fuel line on the fuel pump in the fuel tank. "Getting some - but not full fuel pressure to the injector" There have been several instances of this happening with these older, "parked", LIKE200i's. A rotted line in the tank can carry junk to clog the injector --- but the injector itself rarely fails if unmolested!

More info on your scooter will be a big help.
When was the last time it ran for any length of time.....like being ridden on the road?
Last time the valves were adjusted?
Any modifications, crashes, floods, fires, tip-overs? Was it stollen recently?

Yours may be one of the earliest LIKE200i's we've worked with here. I think they arrived in Noth America @ 2010.

Photos are always appreciated ~!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 01:39:20 AM »
Any updates?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

East Valley Scooters

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 02:08:57 AM »
Be careful if you unplug the throttle body. The pins inside the plug are very easy to bend over if you don’t line them up just right. I had my scooter for a very long and frustrating period before I realized that a few of the pins had been bent over inside the plug.  I was very lucky to be able to straighten them up again with a hook tool.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 08:36:13 AM »
This is a very challenging Kymco model.  I've even struggled, unsuccessfully, with one myself.  It has a Siemens ECU that can only be de-mystified by a Kymco dealer using the Kymco diagnostics tools.  Parts are not difficult to order (I'm able to get Kymco parts easily online from a service center in France). But without the proper tools, you can spend a lot of time and money getting nowhere.  I sincerely recommend taking it to a Kymco service center.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()