Author Topic: Right front tire cupping  (Read 831 times)

ksimpson

• View Profile
Right front tire cupping
« on: April 30, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »
Just picked up a 2016 450i and got a chance to get out on some on-road and off-road trails last weekend.  When I was checking everything out after our ride I noticed a decent amount of tread had been worn off of the front right tire but only every other lug and just right of center, probably an 1/8".  All other tires had no noticeable wear.  With all the information that I went through I am leaning toward bearing/shock issue.
Anyone else have this issue and what ended up being the culprit?
FYI- we only rode about 25 miles on pavement and toe-in is at 0.  It was toed in about a 1/2" when I got it so I zeroed it out.  Tires all at correct pressures. 10lb front/14lb rear.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Right front tire cupping
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 06:05:29 PM »
Too much toe-in for a wheel that small. ATV Rider says 1/4 to 3/8" so 0 was way closer than your 1/2 inch.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:11:50 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ksimpson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »
Just to be clear.  It was toed in 1/2" when I bought it.  I set it to zero (no toe-in, no toe-out) before I ever drove it.  Tires when I bought it were barely worn at all and definitely not cupped.  I don't think it saw anything but dirt in its life before I got it.  It only had 400 miles on it when I got it.
If toe-in/out was the issue I would expect to see consistent wear around the circumference of the tire or scuffing wear.  This is only wearing every other lug like the wheel is bouncing however small of a bounce it may be.  This is why I'm suspecting shock/bearing.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »
You are right, I got it backwards! Zero should have been fine. Any other checks can you do for camber and caster? I have a level app on another tablet that would work for that kind of measurement if you have a level, flat paved spot. Could be something got bent in those few miles.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ksimpson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 10:25:56 PM »
I have a level app in my phone but everything looks good, nothing bent. Talked to my local shop and they said they wouldn’t expect any worn parts issues. They think that the pavement is the issue. That when I ride toward the right edge of a crowned road it is putting extra pressure on the front right because of the dips in the road due to car traffic. They said to ride in the middle of my lane and see if it makes a difference. Just don’t want to burn up tires this fast. I expect quick wear on pavement but at this rate the front right will be shot in a couple hundred miles of road riding if something doesn’t change.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 01:00:51 AM »
   I also ride on pavement a lot as we can ride on the road in my area.  I have seen excess wear on the tires from that, but if your riding on concrete rather than black top, that will really eat tires!!  I would not expect any worn parts with that few miles either, however it might pay to check. Raise the machine and remove the tire and check for play in the front spindle. If your riding at high speed on pavement, could the tire be out of balance? Is it the tire that rides the side/edge of the road?  Havent heard of this issue before, but please keep us posted on your findings....

ksimpson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:23:11 AM »
Yes, it’s the right front that rides closest to the edge of the road. Roads are chip and seal so pretty aggressive texture. I raised it up tonight and there is an ever so slight bit of play in the wheel bearings front and rear. I’m going to retorque just to try anything I can. Hub nuts are supposed to be torqued to 200 ft-lb minimum. Damn that’s tight!!  Gonna check with the shop tomorrow to make sure that’s correct. Machine is like new so it drives me crazy when things aren’t perfect!!  Shocks seem good and all bushings are tight.

ksimpson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:25:25 AM »
So, I torqued the hub nuts tonight and they were all good. Got thinking about the geometrics of the suspension since I adjusted for zero toe-in/out with no weight in the machine. I climbed up on the rocker and watched the front tire as I put weight on and off of the rocker and noticed that with weight the wheels actually toe in as much as 3/8”. When my wife and I are seated in it and shocks are compressed a little it is probably actually toeing it in a little bit. I’m guessing as much as 1/2” (just a guess). I guess I will need to adjust toe with riders aboard. I think the combo of that and choosing my path on the road may just correct the issue!!  Fingers crossed!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()