Author Topic: Loss of power  (Read 1814 times)

ktienation

• View Profile
Loss of power
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
Hello again, I think it must be the fact, that my DT is getting old or something (however, currently not even 20k miles on it). Just after fixing battery charging issue (replaced voltage regulator) a new problem stepped in 2 days ago:(

What happens, it it looks the scoot has no power when starting with WOT. In particular, it used to rev up to 6500-6700 with my 14g Dr. Pulley sliders. However yesterday i observed, that after starting with WOT it revs up only to about 6000 RPM (sometimes a little higher and sometimes lower). Also, a strange vibration linke noise can be heared when the throttle is in the WOT possition (10 degrees less and i cannot hear it anymore).

I initially thaught it might be worn out sliders, so yesterday i replaced them with my old stock ones (almost new) to see if it fix the problem. Now is even worse. Starting with WOT it revs no more than 5-5,5 k RPM (normally is around 6k) and it can be felt that the engine revs up with some more effort than it should. The vibration like noise at WOT is still there.

However, when i am riding i.e. 50 mph, and then i open the throttle fully and accelerate the engine seems to rev up normally.

Any idea what could cause such a problem? My first thaught (and hope as this is a cheap one) is the clutch spring witch has lost its tennsion and therefore the sliders set the "high gear" too fast.

I will love to hear any ideas or help from you guys!

Regards,
Peter

donjack

• View Profile
Re: Loss of power
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 02:53:06 PM »
Just a thought Peter, have you tried the throttle reset procedure?

Open throttle
Turn on ignition
Hold throttle open for 8-10 seconds
Turn off ignition
Release throttle

See if that makes any difference.
Cheers
Don.
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

ktienation

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »
To be honest no. Will do it in the evening. I'll do that in the evening, but I have a strange feeleing it will not help:(

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:13:48 AM »
inspected variator clutch and belt?

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

ktienation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 06:14:38 AM »
Hello, the TPS reset didnt help. As for your question beermak. Variator - yes i have inspected it and its ok. Belt also (its almost new). The clutch - no I did not yet. But what could it be with the clutch?

I also observed yesterday, that it should be something with the transmission, as when the scoot is on its stand and i tried to rev the engine with the rear wheel up (no drag from the mass of the scoot / rider), there is also a sudden slow down of the revs going up around 5-6 k rpm...

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 07:46:11 AM »
Could it be binding brakes?
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

ktienation

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
Nope, checked the breakes and both wheels spin freely:(

Today, after another rid from home to work i can say that everything looks like it must be some kind of transmission problem (should be the rear part as variator and belt were checked and ok). In particular, the scoot can reach its normal speed and revs, without any problem (that should eliminate engine problems which i feared the most as it would be expensive to fix). It also accelerates quite normally provided that i operate the throttle genlty. At WOT, it acts like a car accelerating on 4th gear selected when 2nd should be applied. Also, when at a stop, the clutch starts catching at 2-2,5 k revs. As i remember it used to star at 3,5-4 k (however this could be an autosuggestion).

Do you thing it is possible that the rear torque correction spring have became to soft or something?

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
Symptoms sound like the rollers/sliders are engaging high gear way too early/easily. This could be the spring in the rear closing the rear portion of the variator is malfunctioning.

ktienation

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
Yes, that is also my guess. Any idea how can I check it? I have a spare OEM spring but no tools to disasambly / asambly the unit:/

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 01:11:31 PM »
I had a high rpm loss of power, once it seemed like a rev limiter kicked in.

It was the spark plug, anode completely worn down.

Replaced with an iridium plug.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

ktienation

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 01:59:35 PM »
Wheels, thanks for your reply. Thats not my case. The spark i under 5k miles and it is not really a high rpm drop, as when i am riding i.e. 70 mph on 6,5k rpm, then when i throttle up, the power is there and its ok.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
check utube there are guys who show how to work with a clutch without a compressor.
id say to clean and grease pins. sand the bell measure the spring and check pads for glaze...

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()