Author Topic: How to drain gear oil?  (Read 2328 times)

bunker buster

• View Profile
How to drain gear oil?
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
So I reach the 3000 km mark. How do I replace the gear oil since the bolt are sideways. Do you guy use compress air to blow out the remaining oil? According to the manual I should not mix gear oil of different brand.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How to drain gear oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »
I do not have the bike you have BUT I think most of them are similar: horizontal bolt for fill and a vertical bolt on the bottom for drain. Pull both out and drain preferably after gear box has been warmed up by riding. The drain cup will catch most of the thick gear oil after a few minutes. Put the drain bolt back in then put the required amount of gear oil specified in the fill hole WHICH WILL GENERALLY NOT COME UP TO THE BOLT HOLE. I belabor this since I overfilled mine the first time!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

bunker buster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:22:39 AM »
actually the drain plug is also horizontal. BTW what gear oil brand do you guys use on the Kymco?

Thanks for the reply tho
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:24:20 AM by bunker buster »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:28 AM »
I've been using NAPA 80w90 Synth. for too many years to remember.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bunker buster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
Thanks

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 02:04:59 PM »
I dont have a manual, so i am not sure of how many ml of gear oil to put in.

Grumpy old man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 11:12:10 PM »
GV take's 180 ml of gear oil..  use a syringe to add and you can't miss.   https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:15:40 PM by Grumpy old man »

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:07:20 PM »
So I reach the 3000 km mark. How do I replace the gear oil since the bolt are sideways. Do you guy use compress air to blow out the remaining oil? According to the manual I should not mix gear oil of different brand.

Don't change the gear oil unless you are willing to download the manual which cost nothing.  Guessing introduce a problem where the was no problem to begin with. 

There are  ONLY two reason to change the gear oil:
1. verify the condition - no contamination, some but not an excessive amount of metal shavings.
2. quantity - there is no dipstick and if it is "low" you might have a leak.  In time, if it leaks out the diff will burn up.  Otherwise gear oil does not get dirty or ever wear out in this application. 

Any brand will do.  Don't waste money on synthetic.  I use supertech from walmart.  I have gone from 2600 mi to 20K miles and my scoot runs perfect.  Many owners take stuff apart without the manual or proper knowlege and tools and introduce problems in something that was working perfect.

PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()