Author Topic: rear-ended by a car today  (Read 2103 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
rear-ended by a car today
« on: August 30, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »
Riding to work this morning i stopped at a junction. The car behind stopped too then decided to just pull onto he road without waiting for me to get out the way. I have no idea what the woman was thinking, she def wasnt looking ahead anyway. I was stationary, she ran into me at a slow speed but pushed the scoot away from me and it fell over.

Im fine, didnt even fall over. Scooter had bust number plate, clip where the rear mudguard clips onto the exhaust has broken, one rear indicator got bust, and a mirror came loose. I cant see any obvious damage anywhere else but wondered if it may have damaged any engine mounts or anyhing else? Is there anything else i should check?

If she wants to pay me cash for repairs i will accept that just to get it fixed quickly but if she starts messing about i will be putting in an insurance claim to her and claiming for whiplash too since i was rear ended.

I need to phone her tonite to find out what she proposes. Just want to make sure i check everything out i need to so i can get a price for parts before tonight.

Thanks.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

juice

• View Profile
Re: rear-ended by a car today
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
If you did not call the police to make a report , well , good luck with that .

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
a month ago, a woman in nissan murano scratched left side of me and my scoot.
it was my foult cos I was going through the stationary cars to go in the front of semaphore.she didn't stopped but I chased her for 0.5 mile just to tell her it's my foult and not nice she didn't stop to even ask if I'm ok. Her comment was that it's not her suv and what if she f***ed the paint up!!! I just said good luck and drove away.

the fact is I did scratched the paint. while still new, my scoot fell down from the side stand and broke rear brake lever so I used angle grinder to shape the end of it but it still had some sharp edges. so that's what made a long scratch from the right front light to the rear stop light.

but luckily, all damage is done on my central stand she run over with the rear right wheel and right rear view mirror hit me in the shoulder. Missed kick start lever but hit the cent. stand!!!  and  I put down only right leg while all this mess happened ::) 

so streido mate, it's good you're fine and check rear wheel for damage

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
Yeah man, i was lucky cos my wrist is still bust a bit too from where i came off in the rain a few months ago ::)

I called her tonite and its no prob, she knows it was her fault and gave me all her insurance details. Now i just need to deal with the insurance company.

Im def going to put the scooter ino my local bike guy to get it checked over. I guess her insurancce will want a quote for the repairs anyway so i can get that at the same time.

Think i may even visit my doctor and put in a claim for whiplash on my neck too. Im not really sore anywhere but  f@#k it i may as well.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:45:38 AM »
Glad you are ok.

If you claim whiplash, remember that you have written here that you have no medical injuries.
Do you think the insurance companies watch for things like that ?

Besides, if it is wrong to lie to people, it is wrong to lie to companies.
After all, the Supreme Court ruled that companies are individuals too.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:30:32 AM »
Hey look at it this way. Get money where you can while you can, just like p***y.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
@Mary, i didnt actually say i wasnt injured? I said i wasnt really sore anywhere. After waking up this morning my neck was a little stifferhan normal, but not too bad. However once i started riding to work it is apparent that it is not 100% right. When looking left to right at jnctions now i can feel a kind of grating and clicking from my neck. It maybe nothing but i want it checked out by a doctor or physio
just in case.

Scooter seems fine, rode to work as normal this morning, just cosmetic damage to mudguard and footplate panel i think, but again i want my bike mechanics to look over it so im sure it is 100% safe and has no hidden damage.

Phoned other party last night and they fully admit liability, they cōuldnt really argue tho to be honest. So just waiting for the go ahead from my insurance then ill book scoot in for a check up and also get myself looked over.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »
Go to a chiropractor and get your neck adjusted or at least go get a massage somewhere.  Get your neck loosened back up or it will become a bigger problem.

Check the handling of the bike.  A slow speed fall can sometimes really tweak the forks and make it handle poorly.

I'm glad she didn't roll over you, or just drive away.  Kudos to her for at least being responsible afterwards.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
Sorry that you have some medical issues.
Be sure to get yourself checked out before you sign off on the insurance offer.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()