Author Topic: Yager battery  (Read 7036 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Yager battery
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:25:13 PM »
I removed the battery yesterday to inspect it. There is a pretty clear instruction on the top where most would have vent/fill caps, "DO NOT REMOVE." That should be the end of it but I suspect this is like all the lower end SLA "maintenance free" batteries in that they have damp separators and they really dry out. Found this in a couple of Chinese electric scoots we used to have. I popped the tops off of those and put in distilled water and got phenomenal life out of them! I am spring loaded to do the same on the Yager battery BUT I just wonder if any of you have pried the top off of yours yet and what did you find.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

fshfindr

• View Profile
Re: Yager battery
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
Karl, I have never heard of taking appart a battery and adding distilled water.  How old is your battery and was it getting weak?  Please keep us informed of your progress.  It sounds interesting.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
Hey, fish! I am not taking the battery apart, just thinking of removing the rubbery strip that says " DO NOT REMOVE" THINKING it covers the fill ports normally found on a 12 v lead acid battery. Just to see WTF is in there! IF I do it and it looks dry I might add a little distilled H2O to make it look "wetter" and yes, it does seem at times to be challenged like when I use the headlight without the engine running to get ready to ride or quit riding. THEN the start is a little labored.

However, over on the Modern Buddy forum, a poster babblefish steered readers to a Shoei site with Lithium Ion batteries for motorcycles and scoots. Really nice stuff! Should be for about 150 bucks per battery!

Anyhoo, I will let you-all know what I find....

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:25:09 AM »
Thanks Karl
Richard L. in Bellmawr

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »

However, over on the Modern Buddy forum, a poster babblefish steered readers to a Shoei site with Lithium Ion batteries for motorcycles and scoots. Really nice stuff! Should be for about 150 bucks per battery!

SYCL batteries has the 4 cell ballistic that takes the leads place for 99.00 and it weighs less than a pound. putting one in this spring, drops 8 or 9 pounds off the rear end of the scoot. also took off  the cast grab handles, back rest, rack thingy and mounted a top box close to the seat. much lighter in the back end already. can't wait to put in the ballistic battery. that cast piece is heavy. looks way better than putting the box hanging off the back of that cast rack thingy.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:58:31 PM by retread »

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »

SYCL batteries has the 4 cell ballistic that takes the leads place for 99.00 and it weighs less than a pound. putting one in this spring, drops 8 or 9 pounds off the rear end of the scoot. also took off  the cast grab handles, back rest, rack thingy and mounted a top box close to the seat. much lighter in the back end already. can't wait to put in the ballistic battery. that cast piece is heavy. looks way better than putting the box hanging off the back of that cast rack thingy.  ;D
[/quote]
So where's the pic?
Richard L. in Bellmawr

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »
here you go 

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »
here's the box      

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:23:11 PM by retread »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »
I have salvaged a few of the "Maintenance Free" Batts. Every one of them was bone dry from overcharging. I bought a box of electrolyte (battery acid) for 15 bucks, and have enough to fill about a dozen or so batteries. I emptied whatever concentrate that was left in the batt. Topped it off w/ fresh electrolyte, and charged as usual. I only remember one that would not come back. most likely a burnt post in that one. The label is there to make you buy a new one in my opinion
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
I have salvaged a few of the "Maintenance Free" Batts. Every one of them was bone dry from overcharging. I bought a box of electrolyte (battery acid) for 15 bucks, and have enough to fill about a dozen or so batteries. I emptied whatever concentrate that was left in the batt. Topped it off w/ fresh electrolyte, and charged as usual. I only remember one that would not come back. most likely a burnt post in that one. The label is there to make you buy a new one in my opinion
Now that is interesting.  I have no doube that Zombie is correct.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 12:18:58 AM »
well i received the sycl battery and it would not start the scoot properly. sending it back for a refund.  :(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:46:09 AM »
What was the Ah rating?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
8 pbeq a/h

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 03:55:59 AM »
And it wouldn't start it ? I would have bet it would...

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
i have no meter to check voltage. my charger has led's for,charging, charged. not sure if it's the correct type for the battery and don't want to void warrenty. supposed to come fully charged ready to go. asking them to let me know what's up with it. i'll let you know !

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()