Author Topic: Air filter  (Read 1599 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Air filter
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:26:50 AM »
Anyone else have a problem getting their air filter out of the slot on the X500? ??? I wanted to take it out and clean it (blow it out), when I was in Michigan before heading back to Arizona (2000 miles). But I could not get the damn thing out ??? And ofcourse the dealer didn't have one. ??? When I had the bike serviced at 8,000 miles the dealer had to blow it out because they didn't have one in stock ??? Even though they new I was bringing it in for the service :-\ I also wanted a platinum spark plug, but no! They didn't have any ??? I didn't want to pull to hard on the filter, because that's all I needed 2000 miles from home was a bike with no filter! Now the stock filter has 17,000 miles on it! If you pull on it hard, with a pair of pliers, will it come out? Or could I break the plastic housing? :-*

Alex

• View Profile
Re: Air filter
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:27 AM »
its usually pretty tight if its dry,  I replace mine with a smear of rubber grease or a spray of silicon . there is a rubber "ring" around the filter which is what is holding it in..try spraying WD40 or similar around the filter where it is in the housing and leaving it to sneak its way in , then pull...there is a wire handle affair which is supposed to be used to pull it out, its not the worlds best but it will help to give a bit of "leverage" ...you may need to spray a bit and pull a bit  spray bit pull a bit untill it gives up

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:40:46 AM »
Same problem when I tried.  I had to grab it with pliers and pull millimeter by millimeter -- first one side, then the other.  Took close to ten minutes to coax it out.  That wire thing just pulled right out -- no use/help at all.   Ha!  Well I didn't damage it.  I just knocked it on the concrete to clean it a bit.  Then smeared vasoline thinly on the sides of the rubber for going back in.  Even with that it was hard going in. 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:56:34 AM »
smeared vasoline thinly on the sides of the rubber for going back in

.......ummm...ok.....

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
Well, you know their motto:  "Long, short, thick or thin, -- Vasoline will get it IN!" 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:18:12 PM by Hoolander2 »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »
The last time I smeared lube on my rubber, a guy named Bruce screamed my name! :-* Just kidding ;) Thought this might get a laugh or two ;D

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 01:03:53 AM »
  Ha! cambel or springstien  :D
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:17:35 AM »
Both :o What a night :-*

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:35:41 PM »
What a night

..gotta spread it around....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()