Author Topic: Exhaust upgrade  (Read 4397 times)

Stargazer

• View Profile
Exhaust upgrade
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »
Hey guys!
I have my xciting 500r 2008 for about 5 months and I'm thinking about upgrading the exhaust. Now I'm wondering, which one will be best for it? By best I mean power boost and money-performance ratio.

I'm now thinking about Leo Vince exhaust or gpr. GPR is more expansive, so will it give more for it's money, or it's just money for a brand name? Someone tried one of those?

THANKS!

art

• View Profile
Re: Exhaust upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:22:28 AM »
Hay star I would consintrait on the jetting and air intake.  Get a hell of alot more there for the cost of some jets and a little time spent + some heavier rollers. Most of the 4t pipes  breathe ok just need some fine tuneing. I don't have your moddel,but check my s200 thread to get an idea.  PS Welcome to the forum
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »
..haven't tried them on my 50cc scoots...lol..

..just keep in mind, that if you go to a free-flow exhaust, you will need to up-size the main jet in your carburetor, to prevent a lean fuel mix....which would damage your engine...

..for more increased performance, you might want to replace your oem airbox with a free-flow air filter....along with a larger diameter main jet...

peace

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:44:57 AM »
I put a free flow straight through muffler on my 500R its fuel injected so dont have any jets to upset. It feels better, sounds great , but didnt show any improvement in MPG

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:41 AM »
I believe the 500r is fuel injected, no jets, not familiar with the 500r injection system but if it has an oxygen sensor in the exhaust it should automatically compensate for exhaust changes. If you change the exhaust, you might want to look into a 'Power Commander' type controller and have someone set the mapping on a dyno for best results. One thing about the Leo Vince exhaust, other than losing a few pounds of weight, there isn't much difference in power than stock unless you remove the included baffle/end pipe and be prepared for fairly loud, as in half a Harley engine or 500cc dirt bike loud.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
i am using the Leo Vince. sound is alot louder without the buffer.  improved a little on take off and 1 thing i like about it is the higher ground clearance on the elbow. so no worries on carving corners.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
Hay star I would consintrait on the jetting and air intake.  Get a hell of alot more there for the cost of some jets and a little time spent + some heavier rollers. Most of the 4t pipes  breathe ok just need some fine tuneing. I don't have your moddel,but check my s200 thread to get an idea.
Well, I'm not sure what to do about jetting in this model, as it's not a carburetor. So I guess it should be some power commander, as msgtphil suggested.
About the air intake - I'm considering installing a Dragon Custom air intake. Although it's a little expensive (125$ + shipment to Israel) but I guess it worth it, as it take the air in totally different way. As an alternative, I'm thinking to make something like that by myself  ::)

PS Welcome to the forum
Thanks!  ;D

I put a free flow straight through muffler on my 500R its fuel injected so dont have any jets to upset. It feels better, sounds great , but didnt show any improvement in MPG
Can you please describe, what and how you did? Isn't it too loud? Because I do want different sound and some power, but I don't wanna chopper.

P.S. Is there any difference in oil filters? I mean the brands? I'm thinking to install a K&N oil filter, bu not sure if it's better then the stock one.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:47:48 AM by Stargazer »

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »
Stargazer, try the HIFlo oil filter.  My dealer carries them.  They make oil filters for K&N and are much less expensive.  They recommended them and I have been running for last two oil changes.  I believe the number is HF-147.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 02:52:22 PM »
I get the K&N KN-147 filters at an auto supply store, AutoZone charges $13.88 each. They have to order them but they arrive at the store within a couple of days and no shipping charges. I order 2 at a time and reorder as soon as I change oil the 2nd time. I've heard of the HiFlo but never tried them. The thing I especially like about the K&N is the nut welded to the bottom makes changes a breeze. Anyone have a price on the HiFLow? Does the HiFlow have a nut so they can be removed with a socket?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
Hi Flo doesn't have the nut.  A little tricky but I managed with a little rubber strap wrench from Sears. 

Oh, and a 16oz. plastic Coke bottle works for catching oil coming out once the filter is off.  Can jam it up in there to catch the oil.  Of course a lot will be spilled anyway. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:04:46 PM by Hoolander2 »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
Hi Flo = $22 for two pack includes shipping from Scootertrap.com

K&N = $35 for two pack, same place

This is probably only for USA destinations.

Stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
From HiFlo I've found this -http://www.hiflofiltro.com/17.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=3702] [url]http://www.hiflofiltro.com/17.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=3702[/url]
It really has no nut, which I really liked on the K&N, but as I have that special tool for oil filters, it's not SO important ;)

Back to the exhaust - There's a cool guy, I guess from Japan or somewhere at the east there. He made some nice upgrades to his xciting 2010. Anyways, I saw that he used YOSHIMURA TMR-MJN 40mm exhaust on his scooter. Does anyone have any idea, how are those things? I couldn't eve find one fro sale on the net... I guess didn't searched well enough ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YzpRP8v1FIw&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YzpRP8v1FIw&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1</a>

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 05:51:14 PM »
I've got a feeling that is referring to the air intake, cause that exhaust is a Leo Vince 4Road or an exact copy of one, with a carbon fiber heat shield installed.

Edited to add - Appears to be a carburetor
http://www.yoshimura-jp.com/en/products/engine/carburator.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:54:56 PM by msgtphil »

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 06:34:59 PM »
i think one of the best and lightest is th TK (turbo kit) exhaust CF.

saw some pictures of that xciting. it's an old look xciting that he converted to the 2010 RI. I am also planning on converting mine, still waiting for a quatation from the dealer.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »
he he... stupid me ;) I guess that's the reason, I didn't find any kymco exhausts at YOSHIMURA's site.
Anyways, so what's the idea of a carburetor on the injucted xciting 500Ri ? I guass I'm missing something there.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()