Author Topic: Belt?  (Read 1773 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Belt?
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:27:20 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm over 17,000 miles now with the original belt. I bought a kevlar belt for the X500 a couple of months ago, so I think I may be pushing the limit of the stock rubber belt???? ??? How hard is it to change the belt? I think I will need an impack wrench, but what else may I need? Do the rollers wear out? If yes, does Dr Pulley make the 30 gram stock weight for the X500? Does anyone know how long the stock clutch last? Sad to say but none of the 5 dealers in Arizona know the answers to any of these questions? And the importer is even worse than they are, and don't even seem to care! Hat's off to Kymco for making such a great bike, but they need to find a new importer. And why is it that any ordered parts take 2 weeks to get???? ??? Sorry for being such a complaining sissy Mary douche bag, but what the heck?  :-* P.S. Know any good dealer I could call. If so I would order my parts from them. The dealer in Manitoe Beach Michigan (when I was there a couple of weeks ago) didn't have an oil filter in stock, nor did he have an air filter? ??? Now I ask you, what the hell is up with that?  :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Belt?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:07:27 AM »
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/205/4896/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Clutch-Holding-Tool.aspx Hey, Sissy.  I went out and bought an electric impact wrench to do my CVT work and wound up not even using it.  If you've got a half inch breaker bar and the right size sockets you can do it with those and a clutch holding tool shown in the link above.  You'll notice one of the reviews for that tool is written by a guy from Ray City GA.  That's me! I also happened to have a piece of angle iron (a stake for a big ass tent, I think) laying around which I used.  I put it up against the frame under the air box, extending forward to the frame member and let the clutch holding tool jam up against that which kept from scratching anything up when I applied muscle to the breaker bar.  That was to get the variator nut loose. 

Flip the holding tool over and hold the clutch bell while loosening the clutch nut. 

Much arm strength is needed for both nuts.  MUCH!!!  I almost thought I wasn't gonna get em loose but the final "umph" I gave em got em loose.

Both have to come off to change the belt. 

Don't make the stupid mistake I made when rushing to put the clutch back on.  I put the bearing race on BEFORE the clutch bell and tightened the nut down.  Big mistake!  It all jammed on the shaft and would NOT come back off!  I had to rent a puller and almost never got it back off. 

Dr. Pulley makes 31g sliders which is the weight they call stock replacement. I put them in mine and they're doing just fine.  They also have 28g and 26g.  And don't forget they also have rollers made out of their self lubricating stuff --you don't have to use sliders, in other words.  Also have the little slide pieces which the variator and ramp cover slide on each other.  I found these to be a better fit than the stock ones and they quieted my pulley down considerably. All are reasonable priced.

I ordered all my Dr Pulley stuff, including a new clutch straight from the company, unionmaterial.com, by emailing them.  They're in Taiwan and will want payment by wire transfer or paypal. My banker was a bit unsure how to do the wire transfer using the info they provided but it did go through.  At first Dr Pulley emailed me thinking it hadn't gone through, but eventually they found the payment.  (goes to a bank in Hong Kong.)  They were very nice to deal with and very communicative.

My rollers were not really worn at 6000 miles but replaced em with sliders anyway cause I'd heard such good things about them.

I put their clutch in for the same reason. Very happy with all of it. I put my OEM belt back in but have a Gates standing by. If you want do do the clutch, it's somewhat of a job -- at least it was for me, being my first time. These guys here who say it's all easy are dealing with smaller clutches and weaker springs. Still, I relied on their advice and they got me through it! :)

If you decide to do it, I'll be around for advice.

Oh, be prepared to sweep up a lot of black clutch dust from time to time as the job procedes. :)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 04:23:14 AM by Hoolander2 »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:34:26 AM »
By the way, read my thread, "Ordered Dr Pulley clutch . . . " in this section.  You'll see I had to use my Dremel tool on my ramps when I found my new sliders wouldn't slide! 

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:16:57 AM »
Oh yeah, as Zombie always points out, you might as well get used to ordering parts on line or over phone cause no dealer stocks sh_t anymore. 

Stadium Yamaha is who I've used for a few things like air filter, water pump, valve cover bolts. Still takes two weeks or more cause they just order it from Taiwan.     

Scootertrap for oil filters, iridium sparkplugs.

both reccomended by the guys here.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it all out. Anybody else with dealer's who know what their talking about? :-*

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »
Off topic as far as belt, but concerning parts ordering I get the K&N, KN147, oil filter and iridium plugs at a auto parts store. They will probably have to order them also but I get the oil filters at AutoZone, order a couple at a time, $13.88 each, no shipping charge and they are there in a couple of days. I order Kymco specific parts from Stadium Yamaha. Same as everyone else, two dealers close but neither stock parts.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »
...i have a "local" scoot shop...which is 15 miles from home, but on the way to work, that is stepping up their game a bit...

..i'm steering clear of the kevlar belts, as i had a really bad experience with one...

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()