Author Topic: maint. ??  (Read 1546 times)

mrjlube

• View Profile
maint. ??
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
Hi guys! Just turned 300 miles today and wanted to ask you all if u recommend I change my oil and filter, or wait untill the 600 mile first service? Thank you all so very much for all your help! You all are teaching me so much! Thank you and be safe!!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: maint. ??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:15:27 AM »
I'll let some of the other speak to the need for changing oil at this point since I'm not sure.   

I'll give you a tip, though.  The oil drain plug is on the SIDE of the engine behind the kickstands, not that big thing on the bottom!  That's a strainer and I understand it can be tricky to mess with.  I don't think you need to mess with that at this time. Let the shop do it when they do your sheduled maint.

Don't know if filter needs to be changed this early either. 

When I changed my oil, I let it drain as much as it could -- then rocked the scooter fore and back a few times to get a little more of the old nasty oil out. 

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
I would wait & change it at 1,000 miles. Kymco really recommends (way to early) to do things on your scoot, (such as belt peplacement & such). The engine is water cooled, so I see no need to change oil this soon? Change filter & use a quality petrolium oil. Latter you can change to synthetic such as mobile one 15-50. At 600 miles, I would not change filter? It could not get very dirty in this time. The real reason to change filter at first oil change is to make sure you get any little metal shavings and such out. This is my oppinion only!  :-*

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »
..ive always changed the oil more frequently than the recommended specs...

..of course, my experience is from an air cooled A50...

..lil engines runs very hot, and breaks down oil rapidly...

..it's ever better to err on the side of caution...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »
I'm with Sissy, first oil change at 1000 miles.  You may also want to change the rear end fluid as well at this first change.   
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

OLDRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 04:23:23 PM »
I am firm believer in following the manufactures instructions for the first two oil changes and services. And then depending  on where and how you ride you might want to do more frequesnt oil changes or other services.

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:44:05 AM »
I would agree with the above post. I would wait until 600 miles for the first oil change and not longer than 600 miles for the same reason. Factory oil is usually formulated for engine break in, you should wait until 600 miles to give the rings a chance to seat, etc. you shouldn't wait longer because you want to drain any fine metal particles from the manufacturing and break in. I used conventional oil for first oil change and changed at 1200 miles, to ensure adequate break in time and just to give the new engine a second flush. Then I switched to full synthetic changed again at 4200, afterwards following the recommended 4000 mile interval. I'll take my chances that the manufacturer knows their engines better than others do.

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:27:55 AM »
I agree with hoolander about the strainer, whats it gonna strain? its a big old mesh filter would catch bugs and things but nothing else unless something breaks up inside. I took mine off first service i did then decided against messing with it again, its very light weight I think magnesium and would strip threads or take the corners off the hex real easy. I changed the gear oil as well as the engine oil first oil change too to take out all the small stuff that gets rubbed off in early running

art

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 04:48:48 AM »
My thoughts on a new motor is 200 to 300 miles first oil change to get any left over machining  fragments and what not out. Can't hurt and you can inspect it closely at this point, if you find an abundance of surprises may want to change in another 2 to 3 hundred.I rather have it out than run a thousand with it in. I usually use any cheap brand the first 1000 miles and change frequently. Then the good stuff than a synthetic. This is of course if i plan to keep the bike for a few years  ;D
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()