Author Topic: Rating My NEW Kymco 500Ri vs. My Burgman 400  (Read 11946 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Rating My NEW Kymco 500Ri vs. My Burgman 400
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 04:29:14 PM »
I don't want to hi-jack daverin's thread so I'll keep it brief for brians ?. The front end may need to be raised to improve the geometry. If you loosen the clamps on the front shocks they can be lowered (in the clamps) perhaps 1/4"-3/8" giving a shallower attack angle. If you want to start a new thread on this I would be happy to go into it further .
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 12:44:39 AM »
Day two of the build ... but mostly I rode!

Put the Givi trunk on.  47 liter.  It's probably one size too big for the scoot, but I NEED THE SPACE!  It looks like it would hold TWO full face helmets PLUS  a lot more.

A more accurate description of the install:

1) Bracket Install:  Wrestled the upper shock bolts off ... thank God I had a 14mm offset ratcheting box wrench!  Harbor Freight - three in the set - a life saver.  I should have just taken off the rear tupperware, but N-O-O-O-O, I had to follow the #$*^-ing directions! The bolts went back in easier than they came out.  The rest was uneventful.

2) Top Case:  Used the template to drill holes for the backrest.  No problem, except I had to thump it pretty hard to latch it to the adapter plate ... just new, i guess.

3) Stop Light Kit !!!  -  WOW - what an evolution ... something like childbirth, I imagine.  Take the top cover off the case - "build" the light strip - drill here, knockout this plug and that plug - knit one - perl two - etc, etc.  Actually, it's an ingenious design:  through spring loaded contact points, power is led from the case lid to the boay, and from the body to the mount plate.  You can just rip off the trunk without worrying about any connectors, and there's even a little cover for the exposed contacts on the mount plate.  Good luck keeping THAT in your possession for more than a month!

4) NO instruction on how or where to lead the wire into the brake light area for hookup.  After the completeness and precision of everything else, I was surprised by this laps.  No big deal - I'm not hooking it up until I decide whether I'm adding an LED stop light strip in the vicinity - probably on a flasher.  They supply two piercing snap couplers for final hookup, but I'm a solder and shrink-tube kind of guy.

I put the trailer on, spent half an hour flattening all my cardboard (a month's worth) and towed it about 20 miles to recycling.  Made a BJ's run (like Sam's Club) on the way back.  The trailer wanted to fishtail with the cardboard, 'cause it was evenly loaded, but trailed straight as an arrow with the groceries front loaded for weight.  Fastest I did was about 65 mph - no problems ... and a few smiles and comments on the trailer.  One guy at BJ's told me he was watching me pack the trailer and didn't think I'd get it all in ... BUT I DID!

Another "comparison" note I left out of my original post:

The dual front disc brakes of the Kymco are FAR superior in ability and agility to the Burgman.  I feel more secure on the Kymco.

Observations from removing the seat storage pan:  I sure looks like they could have put a little bigger gas tank in .. and THEY SHOULD HAVE!
Also looks like the rear wheel would take a taller tire ... there's a full inch or more of room between the stock tire and the engine stuff (actually, I think it was the starter motor ... I forget).  Maybe the fender is the limiting factor - I didn't check it.  Learning as I go.

Anybody try a higher profile tire on a 500Ri yet?

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 12:58:16 AM »
Alex - Your muffler info, or your life!  I must be part cat - my curiosity is getting the best of me, i.e. You're killing me!

Thanks to others for sending me in some other directionsl

Next rainy day, I'll be adding a T-Handle to the top case to open it - too awkward as is.  And a weatherproof external DC Outlet to plug in my trickle charger - which is a $40 solar panel from Harbor Freight mounted on the front of my garage at an appropriate angle with the pigtail dangling from the ceiling for easy hookup.  I only worry about it through the winter.

I'm not going to worry about any performance stuff this year - it's too new, and I'm busy elsewhere.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 01:51:01 AM »
The fish tailing on the trairer is due to the weight being aft of the axel. That creates a negative tongue weight. Tongue being where it attaches to the scoot. 40 years of trailering boats, and the like has proven this. Keep the weight foward of the axel, and it will not be a problem. I have seen TRUCKS flipped from the fishtail effect at highway speeds. Sounds like you really got it goin' on tho! It's great to see others enjoy their scoots as much as I enjoy mine! Different purposes, but same effect.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 02:35:09 AM »
Mufler was a Kelkevic, nicely made looked good , packing cant cope with the heat and melts . tried alternatve fibreglass stringy packing same thing melts into hard potato chip like flakes just next to the steel perforated core ..intend to take apart again and fit stainless steel wool packing

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 02:48:25 AM »
Go to any fiberglass supplier, and ask for FAB MATT. Short for fabrication material. Stainless will reach a critical temp. and ignite! It could potentialy explode the muffler once it is "soaked" w/ combustion by products. The fab matt is more stable than the "angle hair" as it is woven vs shreaded. I have been using the fab matt for 30+ years w/out it blowing out. It will get carbon encased, and the tone will sharpen, but it will last several thousand km. (every third oil change or so will do it) Cost is about $9.00 US a year!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 05:19:57 AM »
With regard to trailer loads, different coumtries have different rules, in Australia it is tongue load is to be 10% of load weight up to 160kg for 1600kg load. After that I dont know.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 05:38:37 AM »
The result is the same... The weight HAS to positive on the tongue. Neutral or negative is BEGGING for trouble.

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »
soooo any pictures of your mods?  curious to see it with the give and trailer
2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
Sorry for not responding sooner - been busy riding and mod-ing.

1) Added an LED stop light bar to the back, tied in with the top-case light on a blinker.  I blinks four times then goes solid.  The contacts between the top-case and its' lid wasn't good, so I just hard-wired the inside of the top-case to get the light to work in the top-case.

2) Added a turn signal light bar (1-1/4" steel angle, on purpose) mounted under the rear bolts of the top-cased mount plate.  Also made a "washer" out of the same material for beneath the front bolts so everything is still "true".   Turned out to be just the right point to attach my home-made side-case mounts ...

3) Added side case mounts.  Basic construction is of 1-1/4" aluminum angle, with a 1-1/4" vertical at the center point of the cases.  That piece has another strip off the bottom to reach the tubular part of the stock top-case mount.  Front fixed point is the front bolt of the sissy bar - rear is my steel angle-iron turn signal bar.  Dropped it about 3" below the rear of the angle iron with threaded rod.  Third point was an aluminum extension off the bottom of the mount that is J-hooked around the stock top-case mounting frame.  Got the side cases from JC Whitney at $145 for two - couldn't afford the Givi's ... and I paid the price:  one of the latches doesn't hold!  It snaps in fine, but any "angular" pull at all and it pops off in your hand ... or you arrive home with the case hanging cocked off of one lower bolt!  Wound up buying a third one.

3) Added the T-Handle to the top-case.

4) Added the Sigma speedo.  Started with the new-fangled wireless model.  Worked great in my garage - wouldn't even register on the road.  I think it's electrical field interference from the engine running.  Went back to the hard-wired model and NO PROBLEMS.  My stock speedo reads 4-5 mph fast at 60, and gets worse as you go up.  Sigma is dead-on with GPS, after a couple of circumference adjustments.  Plan on putting it just below the instrument cluster ... when I put the radio in.  Right now it's bungee-d to the right mirror stem.

5) Radio coming.  It's the Shark Mirror Radio from gooddeals18.com.  I can't really recommend it - I've had three of these in my hands (going back to my Burgman) and never got the powered woofer to work ... not once on any of them.  In my frustration I ordered tow PAIRS of speakers from the same good-for-nothings (Model - SHKMSA100) and though it comes with a 100watt amp (which I also can't get working) I'm just going to use the Shark Radio to drive them.  Mounting two up front on the mirror stems (they come with adapters for this) and the rear two to my custom side case mounts.  Serendipity, again.  So, if you count the plug-in tweeters on the mirror speakers, I'll have an eight-speaker system!  (with no base response!)

Had my 600 mile service done at the dealer (almost 2 hour away) at 1,000 miles.  No reported problems, but they charged me $116.00!  They won't be seeing me much!

When I get the radio in, promise pictures.  And I'll pay special attention to the turn signal bar and the side case mounts, 'cause I'm sure there will be some interest.

Can't ride on this perfect day ... my back went out three days ago.  Hoping for an injection tomorrow.

Not riding is a BUMMER!

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
Forgot one minor, but handy mod:

Bought a TMD018 Water Bottle Cage from BikeSomeWhere.com and mounted it (two screws) between the ignition and the glove box.  Quite handy ... and adjustable.  I use it as a mail slot, too.

HTCneil

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 05:46:36 AM »
good idea about the water bottle cage. I will be doing that!

HTCneil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 07:37:10 AM »
I just got the same model water botelcage from REI. Instead of mounting it between the ignition and glove compartment. I just removed the hook in the middle there and mounted it there with the existing screws without drilling!!! Seems as though kymco should make a cup holder in that exact spot!

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »
I owned a X-500 for 2 years and 33000 miles, seat hight and stiffness, gas milage,and not being able to read the speedo was my biggest problems. Was power of the 400 any less than the X-500,and what was your rpm at 70 to 80 mph. Thank You

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »
I owned a X-500 for 2 years and 33000 miles, seat hight and stiffness, gas milage,and not being able to read the speedo was my biggest problems. Was power of the 400 any less than the X-500,and what was your rpm at 70 to 80 mph. Thank You
[/quote

No Info???????]

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()