Author Topic: Upgrade suspension?  (Read 4686 times)

rick71

• View Profile
Upgrade suspension?
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
Anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the suspension so a X500 can carry more than 330lbs? I'm 250 at the moment, and that pretty precludes much a passenger. And yes, I am trying to lose weight. Still, even if I get back to 200, a passenger and some gear might still be tight.
Rick

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Upgrade suspension?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 03:03:48 AM »
I rode two up with my lady friend on the back for the first time today.  Together we weigh maybe around that 330 mark.  The ride was just fine.  Wind didn't affect near as much as with just me on it. 

I went to adjust the shocks to the stiffest position and one of em clunked down like it broke inside.  Had to take off muffler and lower shock mount trying to get it back where it would adjust again.  I don't know what exactly I did but eventually it got back right again -- only now the numbers are wrong for showing the adjustment for that shock.  I just made sure it was adjusted to the same length as the left one. 

As for upgrade, I see Kymco global site has nitrogen gas shocks for the Xciting.  Don't know what their weight limit is. 

But you can always shop by measuring your existing shocks (eye to eye, off the scooter) and measure also the diameter of the bolt holes and you should be able to find aftermarket shocks that'll fit fine.  You can probably find some with stiffer springs.  It might be ok to get some even a tad longer than the originals.  But don't do that untill someone else here gives an opinion on that. ok?   

I hope some others will chime in on whether that's a good idea or not.  I know it's usually ok to do that on a bike with a normal swing arm, but I notice this Xciting doesn't have an exactly "normal" swing arm. 

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
Yep, ya got'ta be careful with the manual shock adjustment. Turn it the wrong way and it goes wonky.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 03:09:06 AM »
Adjustable gas bottle shock (right side)

Product No.:G52400-LBA2-E10

1.suitable model : xciting 250/ 500.
2.color : A0 (blue), B0 (red), C0 (yellow), D0 (white).
3.special gas and oil separate design.
4.shock length adjustable from 360 to 380 millimeter.total will be 20 millimeter hi/lo adjustable length.
5.18 quantifier damping setting for different rider requirement.
6.use seamless steel tube pipe with 6061 alloy aluminum material.
7.high quality adjustable nitrogen gas bottle shock

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:12:10 AM »
Adjustable gas bottle shock (left side)

Product No.:G52400-LBA2-E00

1.suitable model : xciting 250/ 500.
2.color : A0 (blue), B0 (red), C0 (yellow), D0 (white).
3.special gas and oil separate design.
4.shock length adjustable from 360 to 380 millimeter.total will be 20 millimeter hi/lo adjustable length.
5.18 quantifier damping setting for different rider requirement.
6.use seamless steel tube pipe with 6061 alloy aluminum material.
7.high quality adjustable nitrogen gas bottle shock.

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »
I've seen the gas shocks, but I haven't seen if they increase the carrying capacity of the scoot, or how much. Any idea?

Thanks for the info.
Rick

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »
I don't know, sorry.  Sure like the looks of em though, huh?  I don't see a price on em either.  Kymco Global is where I got the info.

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 01:32:36 AM »
Kymco USA has them, too. No price on the web site. I think I'm just going to ask my dealer for prices for everything on the X500 accessories page. I'll see if he can can specs on the shocks.

Thanks for the help.
Rick

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:51:28 AM »
Has anyone out there tried those gas shocks? They are not available here in RSA and I have been trying now for almost three weeks to get Kymco to get me any information and the local price and as usual, no response. Although before I start trying to source from elsewhere I would like to chat with someone who has actually been riding a X500 with the shocks fitted and find out how they handle and how they compare with the original shocks. For me it's not about the look it's all about the handling, especially at higher speeds when that nasty tank slapper has a way of causing a certain part of my anatomy to vibrate like a rabbit's nose. Anyone who can advise would be really appreciated. Regards from Durban RSA.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
I think Bitubo have shocks for the x500.

Nitrogen shocks above costs around $450-$480 here
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »
Thanks for the info, just not sure if the price is for the set or a single shock. Oops, when I convert that to the Rand it works out about 10% of the price of the scooter and if it's only for one, then with shipping and other add-ons I don't think the pocket is deep enough to justify this upgrade. Regards from Durban RSA.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 05:30:31 PM »
Got the price for the set of rear shocks, converted to US$604!
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
My Kawasaki GPX250 (Ninja) has 1 rear shock and that was $697 Australian. Needless to say, I sourced a second hand one.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 05:59:01 AM »
I finally got an e-mail feedback from the local Kymco dude. He tells me the cost and airfreight would be roughly around R2600 for a set of the gas shocks, that converts to around 350 US. So I asked him to please order them for me asap. As per usual I get no reply from him, so I don't know whether he has ordered them or not. I wish someone would just give him a shake to wake him up a bit, frustrating. Regards from Durban RSA.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 06:28:27 AM »
Yes, I know how you feel, ten months and three dealers to get a small plastic piece.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()