Author Topic: My KYMCO Story  (Read 1026 times)

LarryR

• View Profile
My KYMCO Story
« on: December 24, 2016, 04:30:13 PM »
Having owned ten motorcycles since age 16, I swore that I would NEVER be caught on a scooter. But not riding for twenty years and after financial setbacks, the idea of basic, simple transportation became appealing. I bought a used 2012 Like 200 and, thinking it would frequently be in the shop, bought a used 2013 as a spare. To my surprise, they only required basic service during the three years I owned them. My girlfriend and I called them our “little babies” and we rode everywhere within a 50-mile radius of our home in Mesa, Arizona.
I learned about the Iron Butt 1000 mile-in-24-hour challenge many years ago. Anyone doing that would have to be crazy, so I thought. Anyway, I couldn’t do it, having never ridden more than 300 miles in one day. About a year ago, I bought a 2015 Downtown 300. After its 3000-mile service I began to wonder if the DT 300 was capable of long distance riding. I wondered if I was. So, after researching the idea, picking a route, taking short practice rides, and planning the fuel stops I decided to go for it.
On September 17, 2016 I left Casa Grande, Arizona at 2:30 am, rode to Roswell, New Mexico and returned to Casa Grande shortly after midnight on the 18th, logging 1067 odometer miles (1054 actual). The route combined interstate and state highways, elevations up to 7,600 feet, a half dozen small towns, and about 50 miles of moderate rain. I averaged 66 MPG. The ride went off as planned, with no surprises. The bike ran perfectly. (The ride was recently audited and certified by the Iron Butt Association.)
Needless to say, I was tired and sore, but not excessively so. The mods were: cramp buster throttle assist, gel seat pad, Shad 29 trunk, 2-quart size fuel bottles, and a backpack with food, drinks and rain suit cargo netted to the passenger seat. I also had a tire repair kit, mini air compressor, and mini jump starter just in case. I took too much food and drink, and didn’t use the extra fuel.
A stock Downtown 300 is more than capable of ANY kind of ride. I am 5 foot 10 with 30-inch inseam. Someone taller might want to mod the seat. I thought of doing this and riding the 50-hour coast to coast Iron Butt challenge, but decided on something else.
I traded in the Like 200s for a 2016 Xciting 500 which I absolutely love. It is my “big beast”. Heavier on steering, a firmer ride, and harder to move around the garage compared to the Downtown; but more leg room, more power, better for 2-up riding, and more waves from sport bike riders.
I am totally sold on KYMCO scooters: straightforward CVT transmission, performance with economy of operation, good storage, good looks, and go anywhere-do anything reliability. My KYMCOs are maintained by Performance Scooter of Scottsdale, Arizona which does a great job.
My girlfriend has stepped up to the Downtown 300. Now, in our late sixties, we both look forward to many riding adventures on our capable machines.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:42:19 PM by LarryR »

big blue

• View Profile
Re: My KYMCO Story
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »
Larry, I hope you sent this tale to KYMCO USA they owe you a years free service for a story like this. You found out what many of us know. These little scoots are tough and a ton of fun.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Larry, your story is a lot like mine. Started riding at 14 and having ridden most of all the two wheel bikes. I now have approx. 62 years of two wheel enjoyment under my belt. My Iron Butt rides were : Memphis, TN to Milwaukee Wisconsin in one day, and Memphis to Sturgis , S. Dakota (1361miles) in two days. both on Harleys. Then Memphis to Robinsonville NC in one day, on a 2007 Silverwing and rode on the Dragon's tail. Great fun. All of these rides amounted to at least 700 miles per day. So I've had some long saddle time days also. At 75 years I sold all my motorcycles as a result of a broken hip, a hip replacement and a very bad back and hung up my helmet once and for all, so I thought. But as my hips improved, the ole bug bit me again and I bought a 2012 DT300i. I couldn't agree more. The 300i is a go anywhere and do anything scoot. Like you, after being a rough and tumble Harley rider for so long, I never thought I'd have a scooter as my only bike. But, the Kymco DT 300i satisfies all my needs to get my knees in the breeze. Happy scootering Bro. ride on...........

Mac, aka "ole two wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
Whatta story, Larry! Welcome to the nut farm! You met two of the residents already and now I am the third. Good story and entirely believe-able.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
Excellent story Larry! I enjoyed reading your story. Rock on sir!!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »
As a new to Kymco owner (this year), it's encouraging to read such positive reviews of Kymco products. I've shared with several folks (bike mechanics and fellow riders) my new purchase of a Kymco BW250 and all I hear is negative from them about Kymco. None of these folks have ever owned a Kymco and therefore must be echoing stuff they've heard based on hear say. I still ride a Honda Silverwing Maxiscooter which is great for 2up with Deb and longer distance riding but the smaller Kymco's really rock for urban transport. Your 300i appears to be the best of both worlds for touring and in-town riding.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum Larry. Great story. These Kymcos seem to be the best kept secret at times. I have been riding a Like 200i for over 4 years and have been impressed by it overall performance. They are practically bullet proof and require just basic service to keep them running strong.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()