Author Topic: Went down in the street today.  (Read 3227 times)

OregonDad

• View Profile
Went down in the street today.
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »
Agility and son both scrapped up but ok.  My 16 year old was coming back home from checking on job applications after school. He was riding down a two lane one way street about 2 blocks from a stop light when he looked down to check his speed, which showed 20.  He looked up and the light was still green but the car in front of him was stopped. He panic braked and slid on his right side.  He was wearing his skull cap helmet, a t-shirt, skinny jeans and hi-top shoes. I will try and post pics of the damage.  His helmet took an impact and does not fit right anymore so that needs replaced.  He has a skinned knee and minor roadrash.  The passenger foot rest is destroyed.  Mopeds cannot have passengers in Oregon, but I need to do something about all that jagged plastic.

Thank God he wasn't going any faster than 20Kmh.

OregonDad

• View Profile
Re: Went down in the street today.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Roadrash.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:46:21 AM »
Sorry for you both Dad! It is inevitable to crash, He's lucky. I hope this does not freak him out too much. For sure he will be much safer now.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:59:20 AM »
He still won't wear a full face helmet, but I am going to get a 3/4 one along with an armored mesh jacket and armored gloves.  He was not wearing his leather jacket and leather gloves because it was hot out.  At least it was an inexpensive 2008 a50.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 01:09:09 AM »
Bummer but at least hes ok.

Most new riders will crash at some point i guess, ive been there too a few times. Looks like the ground is damp there? If it was then that would be a big factor in the accident. I came off on a wet road while braking for a bend, front whee  just slid away. After that a a few other little scares i splashed out for a decent set of tyres and that made a big difference. Stock tyres are good in the dry i found but got a bit slippy in the wet. Also always ride slower in the rain, brake softer (when possible) and do not lean as much on bends. In an emergemcy stoo scenario i now automatically pull harder on the rear brake, i dont want my front to lock up, if the rear does i can stikl control it, when the front goes its a lot harder to stay upright.

Hopefully he'll be back up and riding again soon, this experience will have shook him up but hope it doesnt put him off.

That panel that bust comes as a complete panel, footplate panel its called here, and can be ordered from a Kymco dealer/parts supplier. They are not so dear, i know because i bought one myself after my crash, was £42 here ($60?). That bar on the frame should pull out using a lever of somekind. Its a common damage point on Agilitys, if you lay it on its side down the road that metal bar just bust thro the plastic. I knkw at least 3 others round here and they all have the same damage. I stuck black Duct tape on mine while i waited for my new panel to arrive. Bend that metal support back 1st tho.

Hope the kid heals up soon  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:24:53 AM »
 I knkw at least 3 others round here and they all have the same damage. I stuck black Duct tape on mine while i waited for my new panel to arrive. Bend that metal support back 1st tho.

Been there done that. my foot peg is all duck tape.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:37:01 AM »
...dang, dad....

..good to hear your son is, for the most part, okay...

...gotta get back on and ride again!!

..these kymcos are pretty tough, other than the tupperware..

..i crashed a people at 50mph, and once i got some of my senses back, rode it home...

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 01:47:44 AM »
I was thinking about pounding the peg back and using epoxy on the plastic for now.  Good thing I never got that $130 Puig windshield. 

Any suggestions for summer jackets?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 02:10:11 AM »

Any suggestions for summer jackets?

I swear by my leather armoured jacket, even in summer. Its got removable lining and plenty of vents so its ok even in summer. Just open up the zips to let the air in as you ride and its fine. Came off at 30+mph and slid along the road on my back once wearing it, didnt have a scratch on me.

Whatever you buy i would say just buy armoured, full armour, shoulders, elbows, back.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 02:15:30 AM »
..i'm partial to tank-tops and demin shorts....

;)

..only live once....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 02:17:17 AM »
I have to get something myself. The Airfield runs are gaining in popularity, and so are the rules. I was looking at http://www.best-motorcycle.com/jackets/index.shtm Too hot here for leather... for sure.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 02:18:18 AM »
..i'm partial to tank-tops and demin shorts....

;)

..only live once....

What looks good on Daisy doesn't work for dudes.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 02:20:54 AM »
if its a nice day and im only in town then i will wear shorts and a t-shirt, but only cos i know its all stop/start riding thro traffic and i wont be at any great speeds. If im going on the backroads or dual lane roads where i know i can get some speed up then i will wear my leather.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 02:28:21 AM »
..pretty sure he goes down...sssso, still on topic...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 04:15:24 AM »
Spot on topic I'd say!  Chip! Chip!.";.   ~

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()