Author Topic: 2012 OEM CDI is restricted  (Read 5495 times)

KinniCruzer

• View Profile
2012 OEM CDI is restricted
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
Just purchased a new 2012 A50 and followed the suggestions to un-restrict posted on this site.  Everything worked as discussed.  I installed the new straight boss in the variator & the 82 carb jet.  I noticed about a 4 mph increase. 

I replaced the CDI with an un-restricted one from MonsterScooter ($54, shipping included) because I didn't feel comfortable cutting the original one.  The OEM (in the US) is definately restricted.  With the new one I now get 43 - 45 mph on the flats. 

Thanks everyone for the advice, I just couldn't live with 30 mph. :)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 OEM CDI is restricted
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »
Just purchased a new 2012 A50 and followed the suggestions to un-restrict posted on this site.  Everything worked as discussed.  I installed the new straight boss in the variator & the 82 carb jet.  I noticed about a 4 mph increase. 

I replaced the CDI with an un-restricted one from MonsterScooter ($54, shipping included) because I didn't feel comfortable cutting the original one.  The OEM (in the US) is definately restricted.  With the new one I now get 43 - 45 mph on the flats. 

Thanks everyone for the advice, I just couldn't live with 30 mph. :)

Yup it is def restricted on ALL a50's, Kymco told me when i emailed them to clear up the confusion over newer Agilitys where people where saying they dont restrict newer ones. They do, according to Kymco ALL agilitys leave the factory with restricted cdi's.

You can cut the wire on the end of the old cdi or ive been told its the purple wire on the new ones that needs cut. If you cut the purple and it doesnt work its no big deal to rejoin it, if you didnt want to buy a new race cdi.

Bet it feels much safwr riding now at a safe and sensible speed that can actually keep up with the flow of traffic  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »
Yup it is def restricted on ALL a50's, Kymco told me when i emailed them to clear up the confusion over newer Agilitys where people where saying they dont restrict newer ones. They do, according to Kymco ALL agilitys leave the factory with restricted cdi's.

You can cut the wire on the end of the old cdi or ive been told its the purple wire on the new ones that needs cut. If you cut the purple and it doesnt work its no big deal to rejoin it, if you didnt want to buy a new race cdi.

Bet it feels much safwr riding now at a safe and sensible speed that can actually keep up with the flow of traffic  :)

My 2012 agility with a smooth boss runs at 41-43 without any modifications to the CDI, although I'll probably try to remove the purple wire to check.

Ok, I just checked my CDI and found that I do not have a purple/violet wire.  This confirms not all 2012 Agility 50's are restricted.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:36:05 PM by Exe »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:12:59 PM »
My 2012 agility with a smooth boss runs at 41-43 without any modifications to the CDI, although I'll probably try to remove the purple wire to check.

Ok, I just checked my CDI and found that I do not have a purple/violet wire.  This confirms not all 2012 Agility 50's are restricted.

All i know Exe is i emailed Kymco Uk tech dept a month or so ago. I asked if a 2012 Agility cdi was restricted from new, here is the reply i got back,

" The situation with the Agility 50 cdi has not changed since their introduction, the cdi has a rev limiter fitted on all models leaving the assembly plant.

Regards."  :-\

Where are you Exe? Maybe your country is different? If Kymco UK say all Agilitys leave the factory then i assume that means global? Maybe email Kymco Tech Dept yourself and ask then post up what answer you get back just to see if they match or not?
I know i read someone on here recently who said they cut a wire and their speed jumped a good 5-10mph on a newer a50? Mine is a 2008 so i dont have the problem, mine was easy to cut.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:16:16 PM »
I live in the United States and the "all Kymco's are restricted" is absolutely not true.  I own a 2012 Agility Kymco with stock CDI that contains no purple/violet wire, which is filled with a molex plug. In total, I have two unconnected molex plugs.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »
Maybe the UK models are ordered with different specs from the factory? Seems weird the Tech Dept would get it wrong? Im stumped.

Found the thread i saw about the wire on, it was for a RS model so maybe different, http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=1265.15
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:59 AM »
...here's a simple test, that will prove one of you guys, streido or exe, to be true...

.....first exe, take one of these....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »
I live in the United States and the "all Kymco's are restricted" is absolutely not true.  I own a 2012 Agility Kymco with stock CDI that contains no purple/violet wire, which is filled with a molex plug. In total, I have two unconnected molex plugs.

No one cares... Just get the race, and be done with it. They are all "LIMITED" in rpm's no mater what you call it. Race cdi's will spin as high as the coil you use.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:42:30 AM »
...really get into the end of your cdi, kinda like this...

...don't worry, there is nothing there you can harm....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 02:44:56 AM »
Her is an example... The old coil in cap HEI ingitions in the 70's -80's trans ams had no restriction. BUT they could only realibly fire to 6,000 rpm's. Replacing them with an Accell race coil allowed 8,000 rpm's . It is called the saturation point of the capacitor in the cdi.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:45:08 AM »
...if you see this 7-stranded wire, then yeah...that cdi is restricted...

...btw, i just took these pics as i did this to a 2010 cdi...

..epoxy the gash if you want to afterward...

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03:06 AM »
...really get into the end of your cdi, kinda like this...

...don't worry, there is nothing there you can harm....

There is no need to, as my CDI is not restricted. You should read.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 03:19:55 AM »
..i cant read...i just spew forth stuff....

:D

..hey, it was just an idea....

:-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:08 AM »
Spew on my brother! Spew forth, and be fruitful.

kwflfire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
I also have a 2012, I changed the CDI to a race CDI, took the washer off the variator and installed 5.5 rollers. I'm getting 44-45 mph now. The boss was already smooth did not need to change it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()