Author Topic: Wear your helmets  (Read 771 times)

greagle

• View Profile
Wear your helmets
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:14:35 AM »
Sad day last Monday - my buddy that I work with was killed on his scoot when he was hit by a SUV here in Indianapolis, IN. There aren't many of us Scoot riders here, and it was a small accident, but without a helmet, he suffered brain damage and barely had a scratch on him. We don't know the full story yet, but it was at a 4 way stop. When Paramedics got there, they didn't think he was grave danger until on the way to the hospital when his face started swelling.

Sad sad day. Him and I were talking just 30 minutes before hand about a GPS locator I ordered for my Scoot.

Safe riding and wear your helmets.  :(

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Wear your helmets
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 12:17:59 AM »
My condolences. Truly.

Thanks for the reminder.
Sad business -- from a neighbor 55 miles to your east.
Ours is a small club. Now one smaller.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 02:11:31 AM »
Thanks, I don't know if you were hit by the snow the weekend before this, but this was the last text message I have with him. We got 10" of snow dropped and roads were horrible. He has a longer ride than me for context (he is "M").

On that ride home for me, with horrible conditions, I had people passing me across the double center line. I pulled over when I could to let cars pass as he later he told me he did also. My trip home is about 12 minutes during the summer, it took about 25 minutes on this day. My route is fortunately on less congested roads, his is on a main through way, so I know he had a harder time than me. He made it home safe that day.

We managed winter on the scoots. For this to happen, when it is clear above freezing and good riding conditions, just reminds you how important a helmet IS. You can't know, you don't know.

**had to edit - picture had his phone number on it
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:16:19 AM by greagle »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »
Again, sad business.
I  also commuted in winter to work on my scooter  -- but in snow I caught a car ride, then city bus and 2 mile walk home. You two were road warriors!

Hopefully snow is finished with us for this winter.
Ever consider installing those special tires with the winter tread compound ?

Sorry you lost your riding partner, and friend.

Let us know how you're doing, OK?

Safe riding
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »
Oh, so sorry to hear of your loss. This is good you are cautioning all to suit up. It makes the tragedy have sincere meaning.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:30:58 AM »
It has been over a week now and we are coming to terms with it  - his organs are being donated. Just one of those hard things to swallow and to know that if only a helmet was worn for a quick trip less than a mile away.

Since we (co-workers/friends) are not family, we still can't get any details about the accident as of yet. I think the report will ease my mind at least a little and others because the SUV driver isn't being charged with anything. Regarding that, think about how that driver may feel right now. I don't know - I am sure that has to be something altering to them also.

Thanks  for the replies and PMs.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()