Author Topic: Future owner - question and two  (Read 1345 times)

Kravosas

• View Profile
Future owner - question and two
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
Hello everybody,
as a future owner of a DT 300 I am reading this forum for some time now. I have two question and if you "veteran" users could help me I would be very thankfull :)

1. I am interesed what is optimal highway cruise speed for this machine that can be obtained with no suffering for the engine? Here in Croatia (greetings to Cortez:), no one is driving below 80 mph on higway, so I am asking this becouse of my security on highway and to know the optimal engine/speed performance at such conditions.
2. I am also looking to decrease wind turbulence around my head, so woould like to know if anyone has experience with wind deflectors on windshield? I am looking for something like this:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle//8110024-025.html

Thanx in advance :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:45:05 AM by Kravosas »

Ckline3783

• View Profile
Re: Future owner - question and two
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »
hello and welcome Kravosas,

In answer to your two questions.  i have no real experience driving at 80 mph or higher.  i personally never exceed 75 mph, only because i do not feeel comfortable at any higher speed.  i do get the sense that at 75 mph there is still more power availabale if i want it.

i too had a problem with wind buffeting by head.  i purchased a Givi D294ST windshield and that cured the problem.

if you purchase a DT, i hope you enjoy it as much as i have enjoyed mine.

keep the rubber on the road!

Calvin in Slidell Louisiana, USA

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Future owner - question and two
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »
Hello everybody,
as a future owner of a DT 300 I am reading this forum for some time now. I have two question and if you "veteran" users could help me I would be very thankfull :)

1. I am interesed what is optimal highway cruise speed for this machine that can be obtained with no suffering for the engine? Here in Croatia (greetings to Cortez:), no one is driving below 80 mph on higway, so I am asking this becouse of my security on highway and to know the optimal engine/speed performance at such conditions.
2. I am also looking to decrease wind turbulence around my head, so woould like to know if anyone has experience with wind deflectors on windshield? I am looking for something like this:

Thanx in advance :)

Helloes!  ;D

I'm all about low revs, short shifting and sick obsession with fuel consumption, but with
a high revving engine like the one in DT, you don't have much choice. I used to have a
rule (with no apparent reason) with my Kawasaki - cruising at 2/3 revs tops. That was
just about 80mph.

No such luck with the Downtown, since it's a bit short compared to kawasaki's 72hp
output.

The stock bike will run at 7000 revs at 75mph, and with the maximum torque at 6500
and power at 8000, I did the math and knew I'd want less revs at those speeds so I
ordered a set of Dr Pulley sliders on day one. That took the revs down by 500 and now
I'm good to go.

You'd be around 7500 with the stock bike at 80mph, and I wouldn't keep it there for
too long, but I have no doubts it would run like that for years on end.

There's some slight vibrations around 7000, and it's vibe free below and after that mark.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.
I tend to ride A LOW smoother and slower then I used to ride my Kwak, and I was slow
riding that one too.

What was your question again?  ;D
14-15gr sliders for prolonged 80mph use, in my opinion.

As for the windscreen.. that thing will probably help.
Try putting your hand at that spot where the deflector would fit while riding,
you'll notice the difference.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()