Author Topic: B&W 150 Gear Oil  (Read 3953 times)

oldhummer

• View Profile
B&W 150 Gear Oil
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »
I was wondering if the 90W Gear Oil for the B&W 150 is GL-4 or GL5 ?  Do the KYMCO Shops use GL-4 or Gl-5 gear oil? I understand if there are any bronze or brass bearings in the gear reduction system you cannot use GL-5 oil, as the additives, phosphorus and sulfur will eat up the bronze bearings. The shop manual I have doesn't say the specifications of the SAE90W oil??  Oldhummer

oldhummer

• View Profile
Re: B&W 150 Gear Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:16:48 AM »
I found out about the oil types when I took my B&W 150 in for a 300+km oil change and check up. They replaced the break in oil with Motul Synthetic and also the gear oil with some blend syn oil. None of those oils/weights were what Kymco Mfg. recommended in the maint manual?

I now have about 1000km on it and it pushes my 215 lbs down the road at an easy 55 mph! I actually got it up to 65+mph on a level stretch of road and I was at near 6,000' altitude!  Not bad as far as I can tell.
The B&W 150 is a very good scooter for around town and short trips out to 50+ miles for someone my size 6'1", for cruising I need something with more room to stretch out and be able to lean back with a back support. I am averaging about 60mpg on the fuel. I get alot of people asking "what kind of scooter is that"
with its cool metal flake red paint and sleek look they think it has a bigger engine in it!! Oldhummer

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()