Author Topic: Air shocks?  (Read 912 times)

ues61

• View Profile
Air shocks?
« on: July 18, 2016, 01:02:13 AM »
bump to this thread: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=10256.msg105759#msg105759

has anyone attempted to install air shocks?  any tips / suggestions?

did you end up dremeling some plastic to fit the air cannister and its arm?  any issues with fit?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Air shocks?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 01:18:58 AM »
You know how I fixed the ride issue / rear shocks issue, with my LIKE200i ??
(since you gotta be in Taiwan or the Philippines to get those cool shocks - and get the correct ones fitted)

I rebuilt the seat.
It did nothing for the stock shocks - it just smoothed out my ride so much that I quit looking for the 'magic shocks' for the LIKE. After 3 yrs, I'm not certain there is a magic shock avail. in the States out there for the LIKE.

I have read from a few veteran scooter builders/racers - who are brave enough to go on record - that it really is a waste of a lot of $$ to think that fitting expensive after-market shocks will make any scooter ride much better than the stock shocks. "It is a scooter - that is how a scooter rides! It's not a trail bike."
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:45:00 AM »
Yes, the seat. The engineering failure of the Like. It was not designed for the North American frame.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »
One advantage of being 5'9" is the seat isn't an issue. I ride 100 plus miles without any discomfort. The issue is with you taller folks. You aren't engineered for the Like.  ;)  ;D

ues61

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »
I have read from a few veteran scooter builders/racers - who are brave enough to go on record - that it really is a waste of a lot of $$ to think that fitting expensive after-market shocks will make any scooter ride much better than the stock shocks. "It is a scooter - that is how a scooter rides! It's not a trail bike."
Stig

That's probably true when the roads are highway conditions, and mostly one-up riding. 

Re: ...expensive after-market shocks... - the going rate for the OEM rear shocks is about $54 USD, each; whereas, a pair of "air shocks" from a US distributor is only $80 USD, for a pair.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()