Author Topic: Boosting a battery if 'no start'  (Read 838 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Boosting a battery if 'no start'
« on: December 07, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »
I am getting ready to start my season of State Park rides in the teens and 20's (F).

I often stop for photos, goofing, scratching, deer, coffee (< and having a wee) - and do several re-starts.
I have 3 spare/good YUASA batteries taken from scooters which I keep charged.

I'm thinking I will toss one of those spare batteries (and the jumper cord seen in the photo) under my seat - "just in case" I get a no start from my scooter's battery.* I would attach the spare battery tender pig tail to the scooter's battery tender pig tail..

This should work, right? Or, no?

Stig

* In case I don't remember to shut off my floor and seat heater, the Blue-Ray player or the LORAN?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:02:25 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Boosting a battery if 'no start'
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 09:08:20 PM »
  I have an old snap on battery tender,  and that works every time I do it,

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 10:12:41 PM »
I while back I got a booster lithium battery from Walmart.com.  It was less than 40 bucks.  It's advertised to be able to boost a dead small car battery and start the motor.  I have used it on my Super 8 and it works.  It's small enough to easily carry along and can also be used to recharge your phone.

Here you go.  $29.98:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Simple-Start-Lithium-Ion-Jump-Starter-Battery-Charger/46007586?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034650881&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=92698648008&wl4=pla-128983606128&wl5=9012726&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=46007586&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR3LvzaJV3jhLpA5r0rKzWqcvUL7zQB0sRGVhv98RSWmcPw9vRBhVnhoCjx0QAvD_BwE
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:57:23 PM »
I would not worry, fresh OEM battery, and everything should work----now if extra electric junk added....you are at fault if battery goes or stays down.

OEM batteries should be thrown away every 2 years or so.    I speak from riding in all weathers since 1955, bikes used everyday, batteries thrown out every 2 or 3 years---never adding electric junk-----did run down battery on my 2013 Honda SilverWing in remote Maine----adjusting tire pressure aftermarket electric pump ran battery down---I should have probably had motor running---I carry hand pump now, electric thrown out.  Got jump from passing rider to get going, seems new type batteries once they go down they never really return to normal----got home, several jumps, bought  new OEM battery and never any more trouble

Scooter with no kick start, no ability to bump start are or can be problem if not ridden everyday.  I hate walking

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:35:40 AM »
I ride my Super 8 nearly every day but it's often a lot of short rides.  That can run down the battery.  Typically batteries last less than 2 years on this scooter.  It also has a marginal charging system.  Too much time idling while stopped at traffic lights also runs it down.  The Super 8 comes with a kick starter but mine broke off a while back. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 02:09:26 PM »
This got me thinking about something that has been in the back of my mind.  Neither my Yamaha Morphous (250cc fuel injected) nor my Bet & Win 250 (carbed) have kick starters.   If the battery goes weak when out on ride, could leave me stranded.

Electrical stuff is out of my area of expertise, so I would like some input on this idea.   Both scoots have easily accessed connectors for Battery Tenders.  I was thinking of carrying an extension SAE cable with alligator clips on one end to use as jumper cables in a breakdown situation.

Connected to a car battery or another bike should provide the power to jump start.  Assume the car is not running when jumping, would the much higher amperage on a car battery damage the battery or wiring on the jumped scooter?
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
DanV: no. It has a higher ampere CAPABILITY than the installed bike battery but makes the same voltage. The only downside is connecting the two incorrectly! Don't do that!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »
I have jumped scooters and motorcycles from car batteries before with no issues.  I normally just jump from the battery without having the car running. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 12:52:47 AM »
OK then, I'll go ahead with my parts purchase!
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()