Author Topic: Replacement headlamps  (Read 484 times)

airshot

• View Profile
Replacement headlamps
« on: November 24, 2020, 03:58:10 AM »
   I have found my headlamps have yellowed considerably in the 5 yrs I have owned it.  Once I added the 12" led light the dim yellow headlamps really reared their ugly head.  Been looking for headlamp upgrades and have found a couple options but not sure if they are an improvement...has anyone on these forums upgraded the factory headlamps in there 450i ?
Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.....

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement headlamps
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
I put a large LED light bar on my roof, and honestly, I would see no need to ever upgrade the headlights. I can't imagine any bulbs I could put in the headlamps would ever top the performance I can get out of the light bar. And with the low cost of light bars, you'd probably end up spending as much on a couple bulbs as you would for a whole new light bar and wiring harness.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 12:58:38 AM »
You are correct, and I did add a small 12" light bar, and really dont need the headlights when on trails, but I do ride on roads where the light bar is much to bright to oncomming drivers.  In fact the light bar is what made me realize how yellow the original headlamps were.  I did upgrade the headlamps to silverstar bulbs just today.  Yes they are much brighter than stock and the high beam is far better than stock, but no match to the light bar when out in wide open spaces. Hate to use the light bar on my property as it lights up the neighbors homes even as far away as they are. The original headlamps were 5 yrs old and yes they have gotten more yellow with age and making my tired old eyes working extra hard to see in the dark, but now they are plenty bright for roads and night riding around the property and even better when snow plowing time comes. That light bar is awesome but does light up the neighbors place if pointed in the wrong direction, where as the headlamps are less harsh unless needed.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 03:56:36 PM »
Biggest problem with the headlights when plowing is that the plow blade actually blocks the headlights when you have the blade raised. So, without the roof-mounted LED light bar, I'd basically be driving blind when plowing in the dark any time I don't have the blade on the ground.

You are right about the LED lights illuminating the entire area. When you are in a dark field and you hit those lights, it's like high noon on the Fourth of July. So bright it almost makes you laugh. Anyway, it's amazing the amount of light you can get out of those light bars for less than $100. Definitely makes driving around in the dark a lot easier.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 04:51:33 PM »
Another what I guess I consider an advantage to the mid mount plow mount is the blade does not come up high enough to block the headlamps.  A slight cutoff righ in front but not enough to cause any issues.  I am out in the country where there are no street lights so we need to create our own light, so I have motion sensor lights on all buildings so I can almost plow without headlights if needed.  I did not roof mount my light due to getting it ripped of riding thru the trails, I see how beat up the front of my roof gets from tree branches, I dont think a light would survive up there.  I had to mount mine right in front of the K logo between headlights.  For the woods it is great, wish I could roof mount but dont think it would last where we ride.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()