Author Topic: Cooling fan stopped working  (Read 3041 times)

airshot

• View Profile
Cooling fan stopped working
« on: September 21, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
I know this has been an issue with many other brands, but from my reading I havent heard much about Kymco having this issue. This past ride I had a boiling overheat issue after some long steep hill climbs and the fan not turning on. Normall I can hear my fan kick on but not now.  I will be checking the fan and try ro find and check the thermal switch.  If anyone has had this issue that could point me in the right direction that would help.  Otherwise I will report back my findings when I get it figured out.

Jeb514

• View Profile
Re: Cooling fan stopped working
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »
EMI filter. I’ve had the same exact frustrating problem. Checked the thermal, bypassed the thermal, cleaned all connections, tested fan and it turned out to be the EMI filter which I thought was the relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 05:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply...however you need to educate me...what is an emi filter?  Not familiar with that term..

Jeb514

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 05:38:15 PM »

Attaches to your fan located in front of your battery box and looks like a relay. Has two wires leads, male and feemale.

Jeb514

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »
It’s a electronic noise filter. Why they put those on there I have no clue. If you ask anyone about it they look at you like your crazy. Lol. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »
My EMI filter was HUGE compared to that tiny relay-lookin' box! I guess the fan motor produces some offensive RFI so they put that filter on. Mine works great without it!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Jeb514

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »
I couldn’t tell a difference unless I had the speakers playing. Even then you had to me in between songs and really listening for it.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
Thanks for that info....now..I am not an electrician so..can this be removed or bypassed or does it need replaced?  Is there a way to test it?  If you can, how do you bypass it?  Really appreciate any help you can give.  Been a toolmaker for 50 yrs and can make anything but electronics is where I get lost.

Jeb514

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »
Yea you can just bypass it by connecting the two leads from the fan together. Run it and if don’t act up, there’s your problem. You can bypass the thermal sensor with a pice of wire. Your fan should run all the time then.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »
Many thanks for that!!!  Next question is..if you bypass the thermal sensor, are you connecting the wires that are in the sensor plug?  Thinking of adding a switch to be able to activate the fan manually if the thermal switch evers fails. Looked in service manual and found everythings location but there is no mention of that filter that I can find.

Jeb514

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »
Yes the wires that run into the sensor that screws into the radiator. We have an old mule that we put a switch on. Works like a charm as long as I remember to flip the switch. Lol

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 12:20:07 AM »
Sensor is not shown in the radiator, but shown near the head ...I am guessing that you jumper wire across the 2 wires in that plug....?

Jeb514

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 12:27:47 AM »
Which model do you have?

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 02:12:52 AM »
2015 450i UXV. 

Jeb514

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »
In that pic I sent you can see it in the top right, has two wires connected to it. Your model could be on the motor I haven’t found a diagram yet. When I get to the office Monday I’ll check a web site I have saved. It’s got real detailed parts diagrams.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()