Author Topic: Drive wheel idling and moving at 2,000 with no throttle while on center stand  (Read 2726 times)

ClayMation

• View Profile
So,

Yesterday, after having driven my girlfriend to some Job interviews, right after we got to the second interview I noticed the bike bouncing and vibrating a lot when I pulled into the parking lot of our destination.

Usually when I set the bike into a parking spot, I center it using my legs with no throttle but the bike wasn't moving at all.

I noticed that the drive wheel was "locked" and wouldn't free roll. So I checked the parking break and it was not engaged so I knew it wasn't that.

Then I placed the bike in the center stand and started up the engine, noticed that the back wheel was moving kind of fast for normal idle.

So I drove it over to Berts Mega mall in West Covina and they're going to do an "inspection" before my 8,000 mile service next Friday.

My best guess till then? Something stuck in the drive assembly? Maybe dirt? Maybe the rollers are messed up and it's causing the rpms to pull slightly higher when idled?

What are your thoughts fellow riders?

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
When things are working as the should with a CVT the back wheel will not rotate at idle, while on the center stand. Just a small amount of throttle input will start it moving, however.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

willembop

• View Profile
Sounds like something broken in the clutch. Maybe a spring let go.

ClayMation

• View Profile
Sounds like something broken in the clutch. Maybe a spring let go.

That's one common idea I am hearing. Something with the Clutch.

I suppose I will not know for certain until they do their almighty inspection on Friday the 12th.

Till then, it is still driving okay, just feels slightly vibratory when coming to a stop.

axy

• View Profile
This has nothing to do with the clutch. I don't know if you have EFI or carb.

If it's EFI, idle speed has to be checked and/or adjusted, along with check of all sensors contributing to idle speed management.

If it's carb, the same should be done. Carbed engines also have idle speed enricher ("auto-choke") that might have gotten stuck and did not lower revs when the engine was warmed up.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:40:46 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Could be the big nut holding
the spring in place on the clutch got loose.
Happened to me twice. The scoot runs fine, but when you try to stop,  it starts jerking and bouncing because the clutch is still engaged. 

Will try to find a picture to show you what I mean.

Ok, found a video on how to remove the big ol nut

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:19:28 PM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

ClayMation

• View Profile
This has nothing to do with the clutch. I don't know if you have EFI or carb.

If it's EFI, idle speed has to be checked and/or adjusted, along with check of all sensors contributing to idle speed management.

If it's carb, the same should be done. Carbed engines also have idle speed enricher ("auto-choke") that might have gotten stuck and did not lower revs when the engine was warmed up.

What I am wondering is how does this create so much free rolling resistance in the drive wheel?

Sometimes it acts almost locked.

axy

• View Profile
The fact that final drive is engaged by roller weights, belt and clutch due to increased revs.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ClayMation

• View Profile
The fact that final drive is engaged by roller weights, belt and clutch due to increased revs.

Did you also experience this free rolling resistance?

ClayMation

• View Profile

My biggest question right now is, why is it coming and going? Like, it was there for like 4 days straight now the past 2 days it's not there.

It's a mystery to me.

stuo

• View Profile
2000rpm seems a bit high for idle speed; the manual says 1700 for my scoots so maybe you need to slow the idle a wee bit.
2009 GV 250

ClayMation

• View Profile
Update:

My Bike has been at the dealership for a week and will be there till Wednesday because the servicemen are awaiting the arrival of my new THROTTLE ASSEMBLY!

Yup, apparently the nut that holds everything in place wasn't properly torqued at the factory and came loose, thus stripping the threads at the end of it!

Now I have to wait another 5 days to get it back, but at least Kymco is covering the costs.

The turnover for waiting for parts though has me thinking my next bike should be a Yamaha or Honda!

Primarily because my Kymco isn't a weekend hobby for me here in SOCAL it's my daily commuter.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:19:46 AM by ClayMation »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear,
Used 400 Burgman's go for a song in some parts of the country.
It will do whatever that 500 could do....and are supposed to be industriously reliable.
The equivalent Honda would have to be a bike...no new mid to big scoots.
Would a 300 or 400 Kymco do?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ClayMation

• View Profile
I'm not sure I understand.

I am getting my bike back on Wednesday or Thursday after the part arrives and the labour is conducted.

If I go for a Honda next it would be the Vultus NM4 which is both a manual and a automatic, about 52 HP and top speed of about 110 miles per hour (electronically limited I presume).

If I went with a Burgman I definitely would not get less than a 650.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
I'm not sure I understand.

I am getting my bike back on Wednesday or Thursday after the part arrives and the labour is conducted.

If I go for a Honda next it would be the Vultus NM4 which is both a manual and a automatic, about 52 HP and top speed of about 110 miles per hour (electronically limited I presume).

If I went with a Burgman I definitely would not get less than a 650.
Do you have the Integra 750 in the US?
Same engine as the Vultus but more motorcycle like in handling.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/scooter/Integra-2016/overview.html

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()