Author Topic: Engine Details?  (Read 11662 times)

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
Engine Details?
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:08:04 PM »
Hello all Kymco Gurus

I am wanting to purchase the GY6B style long cases in Kymco brand. The GY6B cases have more meat on them compared to the standard GY6 engine cases for bigger bore up to a 66mm piston. If I am understanding correctly the People S200 used this GY6B style case?
Am I correct or does the People S200 use the standard GY6 case?

Thanks for your help.
Donald

scosgt

• View Profile
Re: Engine Details?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
You are incorrect in the sense that the S200 uses a UNIQUE KYMCO GY6. Most parts from a GY6 do not fit.
So far, the only part that I have found is the same is the oil filter screen/cap, O ring. All else is different. So you would find that you would need to somehow replace the entire drive train, as the variator, clutch and belt are different from any other GY6.
I know this because we have been trying to find substitute parts, since KYMCO is a real PITA when it comes to spare parts. No luck.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:09:42 AM »
The kit is for a 50cc bike, possibly two stroke.

What you posted is right on. KYMCO uses a REAL GY6, as opposed to China knockoffs. The parts are not the same. Plenty of Chinese parts around, they do not fit the KYMCO engine. As I stated, for sure the clutch and belt are NOT the same, so it is not a simple swap.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »
 You may have more luck with the p150 The s200 seems to be a one of a kind and no longer produced. It's to bad bscause it has some good potential but ,no real after market support.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:30:08 PM »
I assumed that the S200 was just the same engine as the P150 with a bigger piston, since it is 163cc instead of 150cc, but it could be a different engine. Everything on it says GY6, which is why I think it is a kitted 150.
Even so, the transmission is unique to the bike it seems.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:36 AM »
 Ha! your in uncharted waters,I'm new to the s200 but many part #s do not seem to match the 150 or 250. They may still fit but  I can't confirm anything at the moment,if you find anything let us know! The s200 has been hard to find anything for.

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
From my personal experience on the S200, the bike uses the original GY6 design with a different Kymco case.  Honda originally contracted Kymco to build the engines for them back in the 70s... Kymco perfected the GY6 (for the most part).  The design for the GY6 produced by Kymco is vastly different from the China knock-offs.  Some parts will work without any modification... some will not.  The custom exhaust I had cut uses the same pipe bends in the header pipe with the exception of the angle for the flange; it's about 1cm off on the top side of the flange.  So yes, the S200 does use the popular GY6 design but it is definitely Kymco case specifics.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »
Have you had a look at scooterinvasion.net, they are into a higher level of tuning.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »
KYMCO is a quality brand and the engines last a long long time.

I am so sorry I have not had to re-build my engine.

But that's the point, no?

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:27 AM »
I didn't even see engine parts available on kymcopartsonline - only Coming Soon. If the specs aren't readily available and out there yet your best bet may be to call Kymco or possibly even a Dealer that has one sitting in their showroom for sale. A call (or possibly even an email) to them as a prospective buyer would likely gain you more information. Good luck!

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:55:44 AM »
I'm a gearhead yes, however I'm just now getting into the scooterworld scene.  From what I understand, the case does use a gy6b type mold, I just can't be 100% certain about an engine I haven't rebuilt yet.  I would be happy to keep my ear to the grindstone about any new information and pass it on.  Most of the mechanics I've spoken with in regards to the s200 have not had a need to tear this one down yet.  The build quality is extremely good and Modding it for a race spec would be insane.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
  I'm all ears! 30+hp  :o. I'm more of a 2t guy,but just started playing with the 4t's. Please post any info you get. I knew this motor had alot more than it's giving with backyard tuneing. You have any specs for tranny mods and or cam? Seems to be my bottle neck at the moment.
  I'm not a total gearhead,just an insane hobbyist  ;)

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
Ha! I'm asking about the tranny set up,not finding any info and posibly head and cam. I'm looking for a realistic 85+ and running pump gas. It's not about the money or mpg's. Fact is my built people 50 2t will keep up with this thing in stock form,but hasn't proven to be too reliable ;D (crank bearing) Thats another story.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »
  Ancient Chinese secret Indeed  :D  Long story short i'm new to scooters and have been concentrating on the people's line up because of the 16" tires.
  Right now i'm working on the s200 and have been haveing the same amount of luck finding any info. It seems the p125,150 and s200 use the same final drive. (Not confirmed) I'm not well versed in all the technicals,but seems no matter what performance I eek out of this thing I'll be limmited by gearing. So the question is will the gy6 150 "upgear" Fit or should i look to the p250 Or do you have them made  ??? If the later i'm in over my head at this point in the game.
  As it stands (With my backyard mods) Iv'e gained performance in the motor but can't translate this to higher top speed. Iv'e hit a wall at the 75mph range.
 Thanks for the tip on the bearings. I'll get you some #'s on the studs sometime today if i get a chance.I'm not a machinest,but hopfully I can get you in the ball park  ;)

art

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »
  Ha! yes that is indicated,it was around 65mph(ind) in the beginning,so there has been some improvements,the motor seems quite happy to do it but i think the gearing is holding me back. I'm not looking for the hole shot just some more top.
 O.K. in my best laymens measurement  ;)  2.162" or (I'm an old carpenter)  2 5/32" Hope this helps. That is center to center.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:26:54 AM by art »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()