Author Topic: Head Lamp Replacement  (Read 6860 times)

Scootaloot

• View Profile
Head Lamp Replacement
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:34:44 PM »
Low beam burned out the other day. Just over 2 years and 35 plus K miles. Manual makes no mention of removing mirrors or prying the _hit out of the handle bar plastic!. Removed wind screen so the standard turn indicators would also need removing. Prying along top where front plastic extends beyond rear plastic to get it started worked well. Replaced with the best Sylvania bulb which cost $25.00 at Walmart. Reading the fine print their brighter bulbs wear out faster than their lower end bulbs. I will report back if bulb improves vision or not. Having now taken the plastic apart and not busting it up  gives me confidence in pulling lower plastic when the time comes.

OCMYK

• 2013 People GT300i
    • View Profile
Re: Head Lamp Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »
I'm posting this in hopes that it will save other members some time and aggravation when it comes to gaining access to the headlamp and brake fluid master cylinders. I wrote this up step by step when I flushed the brake fluid on my bike.

1. Lift the rubbers at the base of both mirrors, loosen the 17mm nuts at the base of both mirrors, then unthread both mirrors from their mounting points.
2. Remove both left and right USA turn signals.
3. Sitting on the scooter looking at the backside of the wind deflector (windshield) you’ll see two Phillips screws that go into the wind deflector from the backside. These screws pass through the plastic piece that goes in between the wind deflector and the front handlebar cover. Remove these two screws.
4. Standing facing the rear of the scooter with your legs straddling the front fender, pull the wind deflector toward you to release the tabs. The wind deflector will come off after the tabs are released.
5. Remove the one Phillips screw that holds the plastic piece that goes in between the wind deflector and the front handlebar cover. Once the screw is removed, release the tabs and remove the plastic piece.
6. Remove the two Phillips screws that go into the rear handlebar cover from the front side. These screws are located under the plastic piece that you removed in step 5.
7. Remove the two Phillips screws that face you when crouched down looking at the horn button and starter button.
8. Remove the two Phillips screws that go into the rear handlebar cover from the sides.
9. Carefully separate the rear handlebar cover from the front handlebar cover by carefully releasing all of the plastic tabs that connect the two halves of the handlebar cover.

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »
Very nice OCMYK! The manual says to remove the screws and take apart!

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 03:36:34 AM »
I ended up changing my headlight bulb to LED H4. Works well so far and looks awesome at night.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 03:46:26 AM »
Pic of my scoot with H4 headlight bulb.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 07:03:34 AM »
If any of the tabs get broken I found an easy fix is to drill two matching 1/4" holes (one in each panel), and zip tie the parts with the tail end INSIDE the body. It sounds "redneck but in fact it makes a very clean looking assembley that is much sturdier, and makes future work on the bike a very simple matter.
I actuall busted off ALL the tabs, and elimenated all the screws on the entire bike to make stripping it down to the frame a 3 minute job.

Take a close look at the picts I linked in this thread, and you can see what I mean. The ties along the foot well, and the front body panel are the easiest to see in the picts.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11422.0

Just sayin... It's not the end of the world if/when they do break.

Nice post by the way OCMYK. Very helpful.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »
I ended up changing my headlight bulb to LED H4. Works well so far and looks awesome at night.

I really like this look and want to do it to my GTI300. I'm concerned about the intensity for night driving. Does anyone have any more input on this subject??
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 01:50:09 AM »
The intensity is not that bad. I find it a little less intensity with a wider angle beam! It's pretty cool on these bikes and softer to the eye with regards to oncoming traffic.

http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Daytime-Running-Lights-Lighting/dp/B0093XLGVM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402018883&sr=8-4&keywords=led+h4+headlight

http://www.amazon.com/7-5W-Lens-Build-In-White-Headlights/dp/B00EJACY7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1402019492&sr=1-1&keywords=led+h4+headlight

There are many of LED to choose from. Just make sure it's H4! Remember that your headlight assembly is really a magnifying systemwhich the bulb's beam bounces off. So the intensity is magnified through that plastic lens. I hope I explained it right. lol  :o
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 01:55:38 AM by agilebda »

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 02:06:22 AM »

The original GTI bulb is 55 watt on the regular beam and 60 watt on the high beam.

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 02:43:41 AM »
The Sylvania gold bulb definitely improves night vision. Last night I felt like a car out there. Not as cool as LED but another good option

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 03:08:42 AM »
I have that exact pair of LED replacements in a pair of projection lamps installed in my cowl. Even with dark tinted lenses they are the brightest bulbs I have used to date, and I believe they draw less than 3 amps combined.

I HIGHLY recommend them in projection type lamps.

Ps... The lamps I used are meant for Ford f250-f350 bumper mounted fog lamps. I bring this up in case someone has a similar lamp in their car/truck. Not too many scoots have these.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:10:44 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()