Author Topic: plastic glue?  (Read 2121 times)

mverps

• View Profile
plastic glue?
« on: January 02, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
I have a lower body panel that has a broken tab that attaches to the frame. Is there a glue I can use to fix this or other suggestions? A new panel is like $60.00 plus some ridiculous shipping.
This is a Grand Vista.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: plastic glue?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
JB weld works pretty well, never as strong as it was new though. If you do repair it using some kind of glue be VERY careful with it!!! Most of my older scooters have multiple tabs missing everywhere LOL. You get to a point where zip ties start to looks good.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
Two ways to fix that that I know...

One is to use some two part epoxy, and some small bits of Fiberglass. Just coat the pieces, and lay the cloth into the epoxy. Do a few layers using thin lightweight cloth. When it cures, trim it up, and drill the new hole. You HAVE to scratch up everywhere the glue will touch w/ 80 grit sandpaper first.

Second is to drill matching 1/4" holes in each of the mating panels. You can use a "Zip Tie" to secure them. It's usually easy to mount it so the zip part is inside the panels, and it can not be seen. Next time you have to remove the panel, just cut, and replace the tie(s).

My little ZX race bike has all the panels glassed together, and held in place w/ zip ties. It takes about 45 seconds to strip my bike to the frame. Plus the bike does better than 80mph, and nothing rattles.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mverps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »
thank you Bettin and Zombie, Looks like I need to invest in some zip ties and glue.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »
10 bucks will get it done.

Unless you're like me... I can't walk out of any hardware joint without some new crap I really didn't need. ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mverps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:22:07 PM »
 :o
 I walk into a hardware store for a 10 cent screw and $500.00 later walk out the door.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »
Zactlee!

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:22:51 PM »
I'm a frugal impulse buyer - I see crap I don't need, then buy them cheaper online.   ;D

Haven't tried reattaching a torn tab (I use zip ties), but if i did, i would sand the color off, fuse it with ABS glue (the plastic is probably ABS), strengthen it with Devcon Plastic Welder (great stuff), then repaint if desired.  If the tab is gone, maybe cement a paper clip in its place..
People 250
San Francisco, USA

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 06:21:34 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what material the plastic is but I believe that if the tab broke... It was a weak point to begin with. I always feel better beefing up anything that fails.

I did some body work on an ATV a few months ago that had some sort of grey composite type material. It sort of powdered away as I sanded it.

Just sayin.

doxbike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 11:08:24 PM »
I have a lower body panel that has a broken tab that attaches to the frame. Is there a glue I can use to fix this or other suggestions? A new panel is like $60.00 plus some ridiculous shipping.
This is a Grand Vista.

If I'm not wrong, the tupperware is abs, if so, plain old abs cement will weld it back together.  If you mix some abs shavings with some cement until it melts and makes a slurry, you can actually beef up a part.  Just had to do this on a tab on my wife's GLK350 and the repaired "hoop" is stronger than the one on the other side

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()