Author Topic: a video  (Read 2919 times)

bongoman

• View Profile
a video
« on: February 04, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »
Here's a link to a video that shows the mods I've made. New handlebars, custom seat and so forth. the video is a  bit longer than I wanted, so it might get boring in the middle. The beginning shows the mods, the rest is just riding with some funky music. The riding is more fun to do than watch. Then again, you already know this.   
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: a video
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »
Love the bike Bongo! Very nice Mods.

My favorite has to be the lights on the forks. Having the light follow the wheel is almost mandatory out where I live.
There is soooo much crap dropped on the road that you can easily miss heading around even the slightest of bends.

Nice Bike!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 03:29:07 PM »
Like the naked handlebars. have been thinking of doing something similar on mine .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:23:37 PM »
It's the coolest thing that no one realizes.

It really sets a bike apart, and it's so subtle. One of my all time favorite Mods.
Custom wheels, and wide tires are right up there too.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:34:49 PM »
Thanks Zombie and Bluesin. The lights on the front fender are really nice on the back roads at night. I also think the extra visibility during the day is sort of like a ray gun pointing at threatening cars. I have a separate on-off switch so I don't have to turn them on for short trips.
2009 Xciting 500

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:38:17 PM »
They're those 4 buck each LED lights right? Ebay?

I used them om my Vruk till one burned out. It filled w/ water. They worked fine just by themselves. I was supprised.

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 05:08:37 AM »
Looks Good bongo. I still need to come get that can from you!
I still got your number.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
The front riding lights are not the 4 buck cheap import from China. They are Piezo, cost around $150 from my LSS - Local Scooter Shop. Routing the wires up through the fairing was the most difficult part. It requires teeny tiny hands. Or long fingers. Or do like I did and pay the tech to finish the job.
2009 Xciting 500

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 01:21:09 AM »
Nice. Yeah, I got the cheepo's but my bike cost less than your lights.
I suppose it's all relative.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:15 AM »
Thanks for the video....it has been a long old time since I trained as a medic at Brooke Army Med. Center.
Town was dangerous as heck in those days - too many servicemen wandering the streets on week ends getting jumped by Mexicans. (2 Army posts, 2 AF bases nearby) Ft Sam was an 'open' post (no gates) so GI's were always getting mugged on pay-day nights. We were advised to travel in groups no fewer than 4. Not a safe place for my 19 yr old wife. (the wives stayed locked in the YWCA at night)
Glad to get out of there - only marginally more dangerous in 'Nam, and sent her back to Mass.
She worked in a large dept store near the Alamo.
My remembrances are probably colored by the misery of being poor (you would not believe what the Army paid in those days) confined to the barracks and a married fellow who was about to leave his young pretty wife.

I'm sure it has developed into a nice place to live, now.
Stig
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:52:03 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
Well Stig, your memories are pretty accurate for that period of time. Your post brought to mind many of the issues you discussed.

This is my hometown, and was back then. I have traveled many places, and countries, so I have seen other cities and their problems. They - we who make cities what they are - all have their problems. Or uniqueness.

I am proud and honored to say that I was a part of the changes that came to San Antonio since then. It is now a favorite city for veterans, and active duty. All the bases here now have much tighter security. The bicycle lane that I used to ride to cross Fort Sam is closed. Those old funky barracks looking houses around the base have been fixed up.

Traffic is still scary, however, I have found that to be the case in almost every city I have visited or lived in. Austin, San Francisco and Sacramento, and Davis are my personal favorites for scootin' and bicycling.
2009 Xciting 500

bountybuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »
Very nice video bongoman.  Also very nice scooter.  Thanks for posting.  I envey you for where you live.  I tried to get my wife to move to Texas but she says she has to many friends here in Michigan so I have to suffer through the Michigan winters.  Ride safe my friend.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:23:08 PM »
Well Stig, your memories are pretty accurate for that period of time. Your post brought to mind many of the issues you discussed.

This is my hometown, and was back then. I have traveled many places, and countries, so I have seen other cities and their problems. They - we who make cities what they are - all have their problems. Or uniqueness.

I am proud and honored to say that I was a part of the changes that came to San Antonio since then. It is now a favorite city for veterans, and active duty. All the bases here now have much tighter security. The bicycle lane that I used to ride to cross Fort Sam is closed. Those old funky barracks looking houses around the base have been fixed up.

Traffic is still scary, however, I have found that to be the case in almost every city I have visited or lived in. Austin, San Francisco and Sacramento, and Davis are my personal favorites for scootin' and bicycling.
I owned a couple of Honda motorcycles  (1st one was stolen from my apt. garage) while in the Army at Ft Sam.
When I got my orders for Vietnam I took a midnight ride to Austin on the highway. I saw 105 on the speedo.
Put my wife on a bus to catch the Santa Fe Chief to Topeka (my parents) and rode the Honda up to Topeka....was a great "final" ride.....'cept the chain guard vibrated off.

My highschool class has its reunions at a hotel in San Antonio.....and a lot of them are ex-military. (Paris American High School - our dad's were military and embassy stationed in Paris, France)

I had basic training and then medic training at the fort. (got my draft status changed to 1A-O, conscientious objector  - so that the Army had to grant my wish to be a combat medic. Only Ft. Sam had basic training for these guys)
San Antonio was life-times ago for me - but looks like a nice place now - and for reunions!
Ride safe - traffic for scooter riders is an adventure everywhere!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 12:26:57 AM »
Very nice video bongoman.  Also very nice scooter.  Thanks for posting.  I envey you for where you live.  I tried to get my wife to move to Texas but she says she has to many friends here in Michigan so I have to suffer through the Michigan winters.  Ride safe my friend.

This is why they put the trunk of the car in the back. Less racket.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 12:53:45 AM »
I do like our weather. Summers are hot, so we head for the river.
2009 Xciting 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()