Author Topic: Got new Euro headlight module. :-)  (Read 10440 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Got new Euro headlight module. :-)
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 01:57:50 AM »
Don't know about hero -- maybe idiot for spending so much . . .  :D  Still my Xciting is getting more like the look that I want and hopefully more safe and winter friendly. 

You've got my mind working on the Euro to USA windshield business.  I would still think that it "could" work somehow.  I'd sure like to see what the newer Euro windshield holder/carrier looks like. (The part underneath that bolts to the dash.)  Because I'm thinking that if you had one of those too, you might be in business.  Like you, I tend to think that nothing's changed about the bolt hole arrangement for the holder/carrier.

What we'd need would be the parts manual for Euro Xcitings '09 or later?   Anybody know where to look one up?

Oh and hey -- I remember seeing on youtube, a conversion a guy over there in Europe did.  He did have something like the new windshield on his old style fairing!  Looked to me like he must have done some custom work but not TOO serious.  I'll try to find it.  Edit: correction, it wasn't youtube it was imageshack or something.  Just some still images.  I think it might even be linked off of this site in some old post.  Gotta think.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:12:10 AM by Hoolander2 »

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 02:50:27 AM »
Hey, when you think about it, Safety is priority! Okay, now how about this idea...What do you think of the Euro fairing mounted mirrors? I love the look. Makes me wonder why they weren't offered to the US market... So with that up conversion, we would need two mirrors and the fairing/paint to go with it. Have you ever thought of it?

Regarding the windscreen on the '07 and up Euro models with the double headlights, the only thing I could think of would be the fact that the Euro Givi adjustable screen has the bottom pointiness that may block the US market horn. I really can't see anything else mounting wise that would be different. Oh, maybe the plastic trim that goes on top of the stock screen...
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 05:54:17 AM »
I want to agree that the euro version windshields would work, but don't want to share in the blame if you order one and it doesn't!!!   :D  Yeah, you'd want to get the new trim pieces too I guess. 

Oh yes, I've spent a good bit of time researching those euro mirrors too.  They were only on early euro models.  There were complaints about them not giving a decent rear view.  I'm sure you've seen the early fairings on ebay from a seller in Israel with mounting cutouts for those mirrors.  Think he has a black, a silver, and a blue.  Relatively cheap too except for shipping maybe.

I've posted a youtube vid of a mod done by a european where he mounted those early mirrors up on the edges of his windshield trim.  It looked GOOD!  I was seriously looking for some of those mirrors for a while.  Found them in only one UK site and they wouldn't reply to my emails.  Well, they were expensive anyway.  I'll try to find and repost the youtube for your interest.   

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 06:02:52 AM »
Check out the videos in this thread, especially the second one for the early euro mirrors mod I mentioned.  Wouldn't even need the early euro fairing if you did this.  But you WOULD need the hardware that originally attatched to the frame. I now believe he simply drilled the new bolt holes where the trim pieces clip together.  Pretty smart.  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3828.0

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 03:33:21 AM »
That does look good. I am sure he did that to raise the height. Those automotive style mirrors set the bike apart. Thanks for taking the time to find that!
Simon

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
Very nice!  I hope I didn't wait too long to get mine.  I upgraded the turn signals to magic blinkers and LED's first because it also increases the visibility from the rear.  Being a single parent recovering from a divorce - replacing my daughters things has been a priority...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »
Yes, JustWantToRide.  You are the one who set me on this visibility thing.  I already replaced the rear turn signal bulbs with leds.  I ordered the magic blinkers with the intention of installing them on the rear but a prob with paypal cancelled the order.  >:(  Something about unconfirmed address which is odd since other orders I've done with that account come in fine.  Here are the leds I installed.  Maybe you can give me your opinion of them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380396309066?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

By the way, that gasket around the whole rear tail light/turn signal lens was a pure pain to put back in!  I did get it in and it's obvious it does it's job well since there was no dust inside. 

I now have the little blue leds in the headlight position lights.  I'll add a link to this post soon so you can give me an opinion on them too.  Adding link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320820706679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Pictures when I can.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:38:36 PM by Hoolander2 »

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:03 AM »
It's hard to compare LED's even when they are from the same manufacturer.  Few list the lumens, and I'm not sure they measure it the same.  Seeing them in use on the bike is the only way to go - but I'm sure they are better than the stock bulbs.   I look forward to some pics.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 06:21:55 AM »
These pics aren't the greatest, I didn't have much time and didn't experiment with camera settings.  Will get more soon.  These don't do justice to the beauty of the blues.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »
NICE! ! ! !

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
Oooh...very nice.  Love the double lights and the blue.  Would look good on my blue X500. 
But, that'll wait till I address some more important issues.
Also, good detail of the Givi shield.  At 6'2.5" -- I may end up going that route.
Gonna raise my stock one first and see what Chandler comes up with.
BTW...for comparison purposes...about how tall are you?
"Don't believe any of what you hear and half of what you see."

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »
Wow, that does look nice! I can't wait to get my headlight assy. Where'd you get the LED's?
I gotta say, your whole setup really transforms the bike and brings it up a few notches.
Simon

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
I installed a set of led amber lights up front since I'm running the Magic Blinkers up front and wanted to cut down on the power used.  I purchased them from http://superlumination.com/1156_1157.htm model 7507 PY21W Tower European Bulbs, 7507 Bau15s Single Circuit.  This site was a recommendation from UrBestFriend.  I was a little disappointed that they were not as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs but for night time they are more than adequate.  I would say they are 25-33% less brightness then stock.  The upside is that they draw very little power.  I just ordered Magic Blinkers for my rear lights and think I'll switch those out to LED and put the stock bulbs in the front again. 
09 Xciting 250

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 05:32:24 AM »
Thanks guys.  ;)  Yeah, Vanceman, those WOULD look good on your blue Xciting!  I toyed with the idea of purple or pink for a minute or two.  :D I'm about 6 ft. and 140 lbs.  Will use my stock windshield in the summertime.  And I will be trimming 2 1/2 to 3 inches off the top of the Givi.   

ChandlerScoot, I got the blue 194 leds off of ebay.  Check to see if the link in my post above works for you.  If not, I can post another one.  They have 13 leds apiece.  There were a ton of different ones on ebay and I spent time looking at most of em.  These seemed like they'd be about the best.  I base that not on any expertise at all -- only my three nights of "shopping".

Lastly, I should say that I think technically, this module is not legal for use here in the USA.  It doesn't have DOT imprinted on it so it could get us in a small bit of trouble I suppose. 

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »
I installed a set of led amber lights up front since I'm running the Magic Blinkers up front and wanted to cut down on the power used.  I purchased them from http://superlumination.com/1156_1157.htm model 7507 PY21W Tower European Bulbs, 7507 Bau15s Single Circuit.  This site was a recommendation from UrBestFriend.  I was a little disappointed that they were not as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs but for night time they are more than adequate.  I would say they are 25-33% less brightness then stock.  The upside is that they draw very little power.  I just ordered Magic Blinkers for my rear lights and think I'll switch those out to LED and put the stock bulbs in the front again.  

They aren't on in your pictures are they?   Mine are brighter than stock.  I wonder if it is because you are using the same power tap for the blue driving lights?

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=230024330395754#w716-h403
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:20:09 AM by JustWantToRide »
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()