Author Topic: Variator  (Read 8414 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Variator
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
Is anyone using a Malossi or Pollini CVT variator on their X500? My stock Kymco variator has locked up 2 times now, distroying my $200.00 belts both times. This time the variator broke apart inside the cover. I took the cover off and I could not see anyother damage, but I hope it did not damage the shaft, clutch & so on? I just read else where a guy's variator locked up at only 17'000 miles? Same as mine has 2 times. Shame on Kymco for putting out such a piece of crap variator. At least they could warn us about the problem. Or better yet do a recall & put a good one on! If anyone uses one of the above systems on anyother brand of scoot, I would like to know how they have worked out for them. I don't want to spend about $400.00 on a new variator only to have the same problems. Thanks in advance.

guile

• View Profile
Re: Variator
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
I'm very happy with Malossi variator + belts. Did about 15.000 miles with them. Excellent take-off!

Veniamy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
What is your top speed with malossi multivar?

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
With tailwind it almost maxes out completely. It doesn't effect topspeed much I think.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:09 AM »
Malossi is a great manufacturer. Their parts will outlast any of their competitors, and they are designed for your application vs. generic fitments.   
http://www.spi-parts.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?manufacturer=91&q=spring
These guys are the new Malossi importer for the U.S. Mention the Zuma forums, and get a 10% discount. (maybe mention the Kymco forum, and get a plan started for us.)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 06:11:50 AM »
using malossi vario it has 15tkms-17tkms no problem what so ever just n0ticed some wear on the ramps n0t sure if it was there before or was it because of the silicone spray i used the last time i cleaned it. Is it safe to use silicone spray? Can't find a teflon based spray. Btw i clean my vario every 2tkms-3tkms
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »
DO NOT spray anything in there. That will wear your parts out in a FLASH. The belt WILL slip "cutting" into the aluminum Var. Same thing with oiling a cutting bit. I de-grease w/ acetone every time I service the cvt. The ONLY part that gets "lube" is the drive boss. A TINY smear of Hi temp. grease (ford wheel bearing grease is good) on the crank shaft, and another on the boss outside. Wipe it off, and there will be enough to get it "started". I explained in another thread how the boss/Var. are designed to self lubricate. Interfere w/ that , and you CAUSE wear. Did you know you can cut case hardened steel with cloth, and oil? (Ie: spray lubes)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:14:13 AM »
this is the first time i used silicone before i only use wd40. I don't spray it directly. Spray a little on my finger and apply it on the ramps. I started lubricatin it when i had problems with th dr. Pulley sliders

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't know why you would want to put grease in there. I road 15.000 miles+ without one drop of anything. Just install it the way it's meant to be and leave it.

Also, I have doubts about the dr. Pulley sliders. I had them myself but replaced for the rollers that came with the Malossi set. How can anything that slides be better or faster than something that rolls? I think they're a nice gimmick but are not worth the insane prices.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
sliders are better than stock malossi rollers. Accelarates quicker and top speed is higher. The only problem with the slider is they "roll" out of position faster if n0t lubricated. Can't find those kind of lubricant spray over here, n0t even in duty free shops or american stores.

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
A bold statement sir!  ;D
If sliders were better we'd all be sliding instead of rolling.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
sliders are better than stock malossi rollers. Accelarates quicker and top speed is higher. The only problem with the slider is they "roll" out of position faster if n0t lubricated. Can't find those kind of lubricant spray over here, n0t even in duty free shops or american stores.

If you're on the same variator - do the rollers allow more movement on the ramp for a higher speed?  I don't understand how the same ramp would give different upper or lower speeds.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09:39 PM »
this is based on my experience. A big diff on accelaration an plus 5-10kph on top speed. Even on the stock pulley. Sliders perform better than rollers have used then on may Gv 250 and super8 125.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 11:27:12 PM »
So I take it that some of you use Dr Pulley sliders in your Malossi variators?  :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »
How about powder graphite? Most locksmiths carry it
Truth about rollers is they don't really roll One side is softer aluminum (var) and the other is steel (ramp plate). The roller is "dragged " across the rougher surface of the var, as the other side "slides" on the harder steel. That is what creates the "flat spots" on rollers.
Truth about rollers is you can compare them to performance "hi lift" cams. They start out taller than the roller= finishes it's travel taller than a roller. Their design shape was necessary to achieve that height, NOT because that shape moves better inside the var.
I have used Malossi rollers in EVERY scoot I have owned in the last twenty years because their "composition" lasts longer, and causes less variator wear than any others I have tried.I recently tried Dr Pulley 7gr sliders, and put the Mal. rollers back in after (2-3) days. The sliders had Too much control over the engine I felt. Matbe 8gr will work but till then rollers for me

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()